Discworld

Sport spotting tips...

General Stamp discussion.

Sport spotting tips...

Postby the_apprentice » Tue Oct 07, 2014 02:38 pm

So... I designed a little sheet a while back and can't for the life of me remember if I sported it! I've got to send it to print this week... How do you spot the buggers?!
the_apprentice

Re: Sport spotting tips...

Postby steeljam » Tue Oct 07, 2014 03:57 pm

the_apprentice wrote:So... I designed a little sheet a while back and can't for the life of me remember if I sported it! I've got to send it to print this week... How do you spot the buggers?!
I scan the sheet and create strips then I use JASC animator to display the strips in sequence and you can see the sport quite easily. This is the way they looked for planets and asteroids.
If you haven't get animator you can just put the strips in top of each other and hide and display them.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Tue Oct 07, 2014 04:03 pm

or even line them up and work along them with Windows Photo Viewer. You can see the change of design quite easily once you get the hang of it. Even easier for you as you must have an idea where it is.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 04:44 pm

the_apprentice wrote:So... I designed a little sheet a while back and can't for the life of me remember if I sported it! I've got to send it to print this week... How do you spot the buggers?!

Hah! Now you know how we feel going cross-eyed trying to find the dratted things! :lol:
Why not save yourself the bother and chuck in another sport just to be on the safe side? :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Tue Oct 07, 2014 05:23 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:

Hah! Now you know how we feel going cross-eyed trying to find the dratted things! :lol:
Why not save yourself the bother and chuck in another sport just to be on the safe side? :wink:

Really need the LIKE button for this suggestion! :lol: Could be another instance of the 2p Ankh sport. 8)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby mavzb » Tue Oct 07, 2014 08:43 pm

This is the way I do it - any differences between the stamps become obvious fairly quickly.
Ninja Hamster
mavzb

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed Oct 08, 2014 05:01 am

mavzb wrote:This is the way I do it - any differences between the stamps become obvious fairly quickly.

Oook!

I call this the Magic Eye technique - it's how I do it, too! Takes a lot less time and effort than all that scanning, and is a whole lot easier as long as you can cross your eyes voluntarily.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby steeljam » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 am

Librarians Apprentice wrote:
mavzb wrote:This is the way I do it - any differences between the stamps become obvious fairly quickly.

Oook!
I call this the Magic Eye technique - it's how I do it, too! Takes a lot less time and effort than all that scanning, and is a whole lot easier as long as you can cross your eyes voluntarily.

I have to scan the stamps for the catalogue so it isn't any problem and I know Ian would have the stamps already on his computer.
I can remember the first time I came across the hidden image strereograms. People were standing in front of a blue picture and going Oo and Ah. I thought is was a spoof until the hidden image suddenly jumped out at me and I went Ah!
As for stereo images I have had a few goes. The images are best viewed from about 4 feet from the monitor.
The Thunderer
and
Filter effects
steeljam
Monitor

Postby the_apprentice » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:21 am

Hah!
I feel a pair of steriogram stamps comin' on....
the_apprentice

Postby mavzb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 04:11 pm

Why limit it to just a pair? You could have a whole row of them...

Or if you're feeling really evil, you could have the stereogram working vertically! :twisted:
Ninja Hamster
mavzb

Postby steeljam » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 pm

mavzb wrote:Why limit it to just a pair? You could have a whole row of them...
Or if you're feeling really evil, you could have the stereogram working vertically! :twisted:

Surely that would require your eyes to be arranged vertically!
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:18 pm

steeljam wrote:

Is there an Igor in the house?
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby mavzb » Thu Oct 09, 2014 07:32 am

Muba wrote:
steeljam wrote:

Is there an Igor in the house?

Or you could just turn the sheet around... :P
Ninja Hamster
mavzb

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 09:30 am

Yeth Thir!
Thorry Thir, you didn't thee me, I wath thanding behind you.
I could probably do thomething with the eyeth thir, but it would require thubthantial cranial modification... up to you thir?

I thpot my thporth the old way... (It'th Traditional Thir!).
Firtht I look for obvious thtuff, like inverted headth, numberth, altered illuthtrationth or colourth or [Better thand back a bit] thubthitutionth.
If none of thothe are the anthwer, I put the theet down and come back to it later... thometimeth it's eathier to thee thomething if you haven't been thtaring at it for the latht hour!

I wath rethently looking at a lovely wooden viewer for three dimenthional thterio iconographth...
Inthead of hiding images in dotth, why not try a 3D view of thome of the beautiful landthcapeth of the dithc?
Although the wonderful wooden 3D viewers may be a bit prithy now, I'm thure a cardboard replica could be arranged!

I thould note that the imageth thuth produthed are NOT "Moving Pictureth" And would not fall under the Patricianth ban.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Oct 25, 2014 06:10 am

I found this today when browsing for some information to write about in a Stamp Yearbook (it beats marking!) and there are quite a few very interesting ideas.... Just in case there were any stamp designers out there looking for some very cool ideas.... :twisted: *whistles innocently while wandering nonchalantly away to the corner*
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Next

Return to The Stamps