Discworld

Stamp albums.

General Stamp discussion.

Stamp albums.

Postby Drayax » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 pm

So my first ever discworld stamp album is a work in progress, being added to as stuff is released. My plan is to have an album for each year. At the moment I'm using the catalogue album pages printed onto thin, white a4 card with the edges cut down and those are then stuck onto black card with the stamps in stamp mounts and anything larger like fdc's and lbe's held with photo corners. Those are then put into plastic wallets and the whole thing is in a ring binder.

This seemed like the best way to me to keeping everything safe but I'm not entirely happy with it. It doesn't seem special enough keeping it all in a ring binder. I was considering trying to make my own book, but wasn't sure if that would be sufficient to protect everything.

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions. What does everyone else do with their prized collection?
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Re: Stamp albums.

Postby Muba » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Guess what
I decide on how I like my albums, set to work on pages, work throuh a couple of years

and then have a better idea, and persue that

and so on

I have stamp albums in several different formats hoping to consolidate into one eventually
Of course all this is hampered by 41 issuing more stamps faster than I produce albums :wink:

The one person who has stick to her guns is Kel.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Oct 10, 2014 05:39 am

Nah, if I was organised from the start I wouldn't have 4 years of albums to do to create (2009-2012 for those curious). Plus my plan was made in order to rationalise the collection. Just stamps for me from now on, no FDC or proof sheets etc (well unless they are little enough I can pop them in my A5 albums). Plus I don't keep multiples of stamps like I know some of you do. Just one nice common and sport/variants if possible.

That said, there are a few options for making larger books if you wanted. There are some cool ways to sew individual pages together (google copic binding for some nice examples). That would let you have A4 pages that you can still print on if you wish with a standard printer. Or if you are willing to pay, most printing places will do thermal binding (where hot glue is used to bind pages together) for a reasonable cost. When I got my thesis draft bound this way it worked out to about AUS$15 per book which includes a cardboard back and clear plastic cover. These days, commercial gluing seems to handle regular use well, with no loss of pages. Your results may vary, of course.

If you wanted to spend a bit more money, you could buy a printer that does A3 (or be organised enough to go and pay to get it printed on A3 each year) if you wanted a realistic standard book style.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Muba » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:49 pm

You may be behind Kel, but you haven't changed style several times
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 01:26 pm

I can confirm the quality and humour of Kel's finished* Year Book.
It is a work of art and a good read.

* Kel being a perfectionist is always updating the content.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Oct 10, 2014 07:29 pm

Not a perfectionist, but when, for example, a certain flatalist goes to put their Iron girder into the album and initially has a 'Oooh, I have a sport... two sports and no common... three sports!.. Fo- oh wait.' They have to go back and edit the document to swap the two images around :oops: Hypothetically speaking, that is :roll:
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby phalarope » Fri Oct 10, 2014 07:30 pm

I started with the original Stanley Howler pages, and have kept that format since they stopped being produced by #41. I downloaded a font that matches the original pages, and use Steeljam's text descriptions and images to illustrate the pages. Usually only one stamp to a page, but will occasionally 2 stamps onto one page if there's only one version of each and they will fit.

The original pages came as A4, which isn't a standard paper size in the USA, but I've stuck with it, although I can't get the original pale green paper. A4 sheet protectors aren't standard either, but happily a national US stationer carries them and the paper in white at a reasonable price. I print the pages, mount the stamps (and sheets, covers, etc.) using Showgard black mounts, and place the pages back-to-back in sheet protectors. These go into ring binders - the first 2 are official Stanley Howler Album binders bought from #41, and the subsequent ones are just plain (until I find clear labels I can print the SH title onto :wink:). The real b*****r is finding A4 ring binders here. They don't exist, so have to be imported. I tried Amazon.uk and found that they cannot be shipped to the USA! :shock: A 1" A4 binder costs $17.00 here (about 9 GBP). :shock: So I enlisted a CA Forum A4 ring binder contraband smuggler to ship me a supply under the covers. :lol:

I use ring binders and sheet protectors because I exhibit my stamps, and want to be able to use the album pages for that rather than making up new ones. I can just pull out a page and shove it into the exhibit frame, and away we go.

I have a separate collection of just Penny Patricians. The pages are often just copies of the main album, but sometimes not, if I want to include more information or ancillary material (like RW covers with DW Patricians on). This album started before I knew that there would be no more SH Album pages from #41, so it's on 8.5x11 standard US paper, in 8.5x11 sheet protectors, in a cheap 8.5x11 ring binder.

I also keep copies of Kel's Year Books, because they are superior, and I may get the urge to 'rearrange' one day.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Drayax » Sat Oct 11, 2014 03:36 pm

All great ideas. I'm starting to build a plan. My main annoyance with the ring binder is that everything is just a bit floppy when it's in it. Would there be anyway to actually bind the plastic wallets into a book?
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby Drayax » Sat Oct 11, 2014 05:24 pm

Hmm maybe if I glue them together on the part with the holes with a strip of thick card between each one to take up the thickness of the album pages inside the wallets. Then I just need to think of a way to attach a spine and front and back covers.
Drayax

Postby steeljam » Sat Oct 11, 2014 06:55 pm

I use a light weight card (100 gsm) for the pages which give the wallets some firmness.
As well as the stamps I put other associated items in the albums so I want to be about to fully open the pages.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Oct 11, 2014 08:00 pm

What about a spiral bound display book? No floppy page factor (particularly if you use a bit of card in each page to support the page itself)
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Return to The Stamps