Discworld

Envelope Stickers

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Envelope Stickers

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 07:45 pm

Oooooooo, look what the lovely Rachel Rowlands posted on the DW Collectors Guild Archive - click here to see the other photos :D

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Murgatroyd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Wow! Lucky Rachel! Did she win a competition that I was unaware of?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:Wow! Lucky Rachel! Did she win a competition that I was unaware of?
No, no missed competition - the Emporium wouldn't be that cruel to us . . . at least I hope they wouldn't :wink: :lol:
I could be wrong, but I think she is the one who actually runs the DW Collectors Guild Archive on Facebook - so I guess was sent them for cataloguing purposes. I can't remember the wording she used on the post to be honest, as it is now past my bedtime and I'm very sleepy, but it was posted on the DW Monthly Facebook group earlier this evening, so just scroll down until you find it
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby CanadianGadfly » Tue Aug 04, 2015 08:31 pm

Hey, I got my second-ever Ankh-Morpork Post Office 'Special Delivery' sticker on my incoming Emporium envelope today. Maybe that's why my order showed up a day or two earlier than expected! :thumbl:
CanadianGadfly

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 08:47 pm

CanadianGadfly wrote:Hey, I got my second-ever Ankh-Morpork Post Office 'Special Delivery' sticker on my incoming Emporium envelope today. Maybe that's why my order showed up a day or two earlier than expected! :thumbl:
:lol: maybe you've got a fellow DW fan at your local sorting office
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby CanadianGadfly » Wed Aug 05, 2015 02:10 pm

:lol: "maybe you've got a fellow DW fan at your local sorting office?"

Could be. I did work for the post office for over 40 years, so I wouldn't be at all surprised. One of my former colleagues did mention the other day he saw a lot of mail for me passing through. :roll:

The stickers really help 'dress-up' the mailings. Too bad they aren't offered commercially, as I think they might sell very well.
CanadianGadfly

Postby Kelshandra » Wed Sep 16, 2015 07:18 am

I don't know if anyone else saw the Igor round sticker as part of this series (sorry, was just going though mine). And I wondered if we would like a separate thread on the trading thread for exchanges of these to get sets (I realised that I'm missing too and have a spare special delivery and guild of alchemists so I have a vested interest in it :P)

I also found that it is possible to soak these off the envelopes like stamps if you are a purist like me and they don't peel off cleanly from the paper.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 08:28 am

Which stickers are you missing Kel?

As a non-philatelist Flatalist (note pune :wink: ), can I ask for guidance please? What is the correct procedure to soak off and dry/flatten a stamp without damaging it?

I only tried to soak a stamp off once and made a complete hash of it - and lost the stamp with Bernard in Che Guevara mode as a result! :( I haven't dared try again and cut them out still stuck to their piece of envelope/packaging
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 am

Soaking stamps successfully depends on the gum. Lick-able stamps tend to soak off easily. Self-adhesives are ... variable. Since Kel has soaked one of the stickers, it's probably OK.

Procedure:
Clip the paper around the stamp fairly close - 2-3 mm
Place in a dish of warm water and submerge.
Wait 10-15 minutes for the gum to loosen. This might take more or less time, but the p-word is critical here. You may gently swish the water to encourage the process, but DON'T try to pull up the stamp. You WILL rip it.

You can tell it's working if the edges of the stamp begin to lift away from the paper.

Once the stamp is free, handle very gently. Place it between layers of absorbent paper, with no ink or texture to it. Press. Philatelists have special drying books for this purpose. You can use a heavy book for the press.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:19 am

Experimenting with these is a good way to practice as the plastic will be far less likely to disintergrate! Just put the paper with the sticker into a glass or bowl of water and leave for 15min or more- until the paper fibres soften. I pulled off the bulk of the paper and then gently rubbed the rest off with my thumb. This method is only for plastic stickers though! For paper stamps you need less time as you are only waiting for the gum to moisten, but more care. Edit as I'm slow- see above for better explaination!

I'm looking for a uu and a thieves btw
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Muba » Wed Sep 16, 2015 05:57 pm

When I soak stamps off paper I try to make sure the stamp itself doesn't get soaked. Either I float it face up in a shallow saucer of water, or place it on a pad of wet kitchen roll. Then wait ..... until the water has soaked well into the paper. It should be possible then to peel back the paper while keeping the stamp uncurled. I then leave to dry face down because there will still be sticky gum. When dry it can go into a stockbook to make sure it's flat.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 01:20 pm

New sticker added to catalogue Igor 2 Igor This way Up
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Squigglyx » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:39 pm

Alchemist Guild sticker on my envelope today, I'll post a scan tomorrow.

Alchemist Guild2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squigglyx

Postby Frank the Younger » Thu Oct 29, 2015 05:15 pm

Got these on my envelope today, they are two torn stamps stuck on the envelope, someone was bored. :)
stamps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 05:26 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:Got these on my envelope today, they are two torn stamps stuck on the envelope, someone was bored. :)
stamps.jpg
or trying out ideas for future stamps or jigsaw puzzles . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps