Discworld

Hogswatch LBE . . .

General Stamp discussion.

Re: Hogswatch LBE . . .

Postby Karenjo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:06 am

WOOT! I got mine.... it will be a wonderful hogswatch! :)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" Oscar Wilde
Karenjo

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:09 am

Oook!

Long story...
Set up my Shopping Cart at 8-ish (that's 6-ish to you GMT people). Did work-stuff, came back to the Emporium site at 10-to-LBEs (Flatalist-time), discovered I'd been logged out, logged back in, re-stocked my Shopping Cart, turned on a site that shows what time it is in GMT and watched the little clock for about 4 minutes before coming back to the Emporium and hitting Refresh over and over.

..short
Got mine :thumbl:

Was a bit confused that there was no number saying how many are left, though :?:
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:11 am

Website crashed on herself, so we missed ours :(

Will have to wait until Friday I guess, or just not bother this time. Very much unimpressed though.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:12 am

Librarians Apprentice wrote:Was a bit confused that there was no number saying how many are left, though :?:
I think we order them faster than the poor website can keep up! :lol: :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am

Darren wrote:Website crashed on herself, so we missed ours :(

Will have to wait until Friday I guess, or just not bother this time. Very much unimpressed though.

Oh dear, I think it was too many of us hammering us at once- I know that it was very slow for me once it was open. Hope you make the next block with no dramas.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 am

Oh no! We crashed the website?! Well, I guess it had to happen sometime! :roll:

Don't blame the Emporium - you know how over excited us Flatalists get about Limited Edition LBEs with prizes!!! It'll be all that frantic refreshing that'll be the culprit :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Don't give up, it's only 3 days till Friday and they'll be another batch up for grabs . . . and there's prizes . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Miss Tick » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:38 am

Phew they went fast. Is that faster than normal :?: Faster than queuing, although I miss the queuing banter.
"give me a task or I shall run mad"
Miss Tick

Postby Muba » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:47 am

I got a Bad Gateway error on confirming order but have since had the confirmatory emails. So a big PHEW! here
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Miss Tick » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:06 am

Muba wrote:I got a Bad Gateway error on confirming order but have since had the confirmatory emails. So a big PHEW! here

Firefox crashed on me as I was going back into to the site after paying so it was a few moments before I saw the confirmation. It is sitting there in my order history, which is a useful tool, more than once its stopped me ordering something I already have.
"give me a task or I shall run mad"
Miss Tick

Postby Squigglyx » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Got stuck in a meeting at work :( so missed all the excitement.

Alarm on phone set for Friday 5:30 pm. So fingers crossed I won't miss out again.
Squigglyx

Postby annebn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:57 pm

The same here. I probably won't be able to get online Friday (office Christmas outing), so thank Glod for season tickets.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Drayax » Tue Dec 01, 2015 01:42 pm

It was tense for a while. One of the managers was loitering in my usual phone signal spot. He wandered off with 20 seconds to spare.
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby dried_frog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 02:16 pm

Me too. My browser awaiting a response from the server, and then, I am unable to return to the shopping cart page. :(

It's a kind of game, I know, and I like to play .
But, to be an honest game, it's requires that everyone has equal opportunities.

Once the server has crashed, only the first persons may continue their purchases. Others must wait several minutes .... Why ?
The server hang shouldn't be a part of the game.
Maybe it's time to change your web host ? to make the site more responsive ? I'm sure it won't be so expensive.

Today, for the first time since several years, it generates, for me, frustration, and no fun.
I'm a real fan of the D.E., and glod knows I found all the people of D.E. really wonderful... but I definitively don't understand these "races for LBEs".

It's OK, I have a ticket season, and I will try Friday, because i'm a flatalist... I just want equal chance for everyone to have a blue triangle or other nice things...
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby the_apprentice » Tue Dec 01, 2015 02:55 pm

Hi guys, just a quickie for now, we are looking into things this end. We do take this stuff very seriously, there are a number of measures in place that should stop this happening, including but not limited to 'cloudflare always online' service which should allow the site to function even with minor downtime. The stats and reports aren't actually showing any issues occurring, which mean that the few of you who had problems are very much in the minority. This isn't much consolation, I know. We'll be debriefing tonight to fully try and understand what happened for the minority who experienced problems. The current set up has not given us trouble before and in fact managed to stave off hoards of many thousands of users at a time, when Lynsey (manager of Terry's facebook page) linked to us unexpectedly. The servers we use are really beefy. We really don't skimp on this stuff because we certainly don't want to frustrate people. Equally, we can't physically make many more LBE's without really throwing the timing of the releases out over the year. We'll bump up the servers even more for Friday's release, of course, to try and iron out such anomalies, but please remember that even the biggest sites in the world experience issues at busy times.

Heartfelt apologies to anyone left disappointed. We'll be looking into what if anything we can do and keep you posted.

More soon.

Thank you to all who continue to support us and the things we make. It seemed to work well for the vast majority and really hope you enjoy the issue if and when you get 'em.
the_apprentice

Postby Vicky4Ecks » Tue Dec 01, 2015 03:20 pm

I think I was lucky, as not only was I on my phone with only 3g at the best of times, I was also in a grassy field. Not a grievance with the website at all.
Vicky4Ecks

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps