Discworld

Any new GCTS trade items on the horizon?

General Stamp discussion.

Any new GCTS trade items on the horizon?

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:56 pm

As I put together my latest pile of stamps (then going back and adding when cleaning my office uncovered a pile of unsorted stamps- d'oh!), I had a quick peek to see if I could redeem them for anything. Sadly, what's up now I have (or don't need for my collection). Are there any plans for something new? Or am I going to end up with a gold stamp by default?
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Re: Any new GCTS trade items on the horizon?

Postby barber80 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:48 am

I was looking forward to collecting the set of Worm Herder covers although really just to get the loose stamps for my album. However, when they disappeared from the shop site I was told there had been a problem with finishing the series. It would be nice to obtain the loose stamps as a trading option. I wouldn't even mind paying a trading stamp premium for them since it seems unfair to get these for 25 trading stamps when others would have collected all the covers before they could get the loose stamps. I was surprised there weren't more comments on the forum when they were taken off the trading page - but then perhaps they weren't a popular item. Was it only me getting them?I'd still like the stamps though.
barber80

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:14 am

barber80 wrote:I was looking forward to collecting the set of Worm Herder covers although really just to get the loose stamps for my album. However, when they disappeared from the shop site I was told there had been a problem with finishing the series. It would be nice to obtain the loose stamps as a trading option. I wouldn't even mind paying a trading stamp premium for them since it seems unfair to get these for 25 trading stamps when others would have collected all the covers before they could get the loose stamps. I was surprised there weren't more comments on the forum when they were taken off the trading page - but then perhaps they weren't a popular item. Was it only me getting them?I'd still like the stamps though.
I managed (with the very kind help of some generous souls) to get enough GCTS to swap for the Worm Herder series quite early on, so have to admit to not noticing when they were taken off - as far as I know the stamps on their own weren't available, but I would also be interested in collecting these should they become available on the GCTS . . . :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:16 pm

I also acquired a complete set, plus the loose stamps, fairly early on. I wanted another set of stamps so I could get additional Patricians (I have a specialty collection of those), so I had contemplated buying the whole series again (and trading away the duplicate covers), but never pulled the trigger. Then they disappeared. I'd be open to paying a premium for a second set of stamps if they are available, but I wonder if the problem with finishing the series had to do with the supply of stamps rather than the collateral material (covers and inserts).
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Muba » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:23 pm

barber80 wrote:I was surprised there weren't more comments on the forum when they were taken off the trading page - but then perhaps they weren't a popular item. Was it only me getting them?I'd still like the stamps though.

They were a popular item; thats why they all disappeared!
And the popularity may have been down a lack of GCTS items available for a while. Everybody was accumulating their GCTS stamps and needed something to trade for.

I am now looking for some nice new items.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby the_apprentice » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Won't be long folks, due to a current lack of hours in the day it will likely be in the new year but while all this years definitives are still eligible. :)
the_apprentice

Postby phalarope » Mon Nov 30, 2015 02:29 pm

:thumbl: Contemplating a few pleasant evenings of batching up stamps for GCTS before Christmas. Beats burrowing into the closet under the stairs and excavating the boxes of decorations.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Drayax » Tue Dec 01, 2015 01:21 pm

Have accumulated enough for just over 100 GCTS stamps. Was going to go for the golden cabbage but I think I'll hold off for now. There's a certain measure of guilt that goes with the thought of sending that many stamps at once.
"It's only stamps, sir. I mean there's no law against stamps..." - Cheery Littlebottom.
Drayax

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Dec 01, 2015 07:18 pm

Oook!

The prices of postage being what they are here, I only ever DO send out huge numbers of stamps at a go. Always neatly counted and each kind in its own mini-envelope, of course*.

Last week I organized my collection of Green Cabbage Trading stamps - there are quite a few shades and one or two clear-cut color variations. Which makes sense, considering how long a time they've been in print. I'm wondering if the same will be true for the 10-GCTS stamps

* I wish I was kidding - I fold note-paper around each pile of stamps into an envelope-like shape. There's nothing quite like looking up from your third-to-last pile and realize that it's almost 2 a.m.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:31 am

Librarians Apprentice wrote:Oook!

Always neatly counted and each kind in its own mini-envelope, of course.

I use CD cases and originally I used opened LBEs.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby phalarope » Wed Dec 02, 2015 03:29 pm

Glassine envelopes used here, taped onto a thin flexible cardboard stiffener in the envelope. USPS charges are outrageous for a rigid package!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 03:55 pm

What is a
phalarope wrote:Glassine envelope
?
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby phalarope » Wed Dec 02, 2015 04:06 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:What is a
phalarope wrote:Glassine envelope
?

A common philatelic supply item. Very lightweight.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby annebn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 04:24 pm

I use empty LBE's. Also helps to get rid of the evidence.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Muba » Wed Dec 02, 2015 04:27 pm

Whatever is available here. I have a bag in a desk drawer where I put anything remotely suitable
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Next

Return to The Stamps