Discworld

Limited Edition Discussions

General Stamp discussion.

Limited Edition Discussions

Postby Muba » Tue Dec 01, 2015 03:41 pm

I think this problem is a reflection of having some really popular stamps on sale, and it being a limited edition LBE. Then factor in no Hogswatch bash this year when many buyers got theirs at the event. There would have been many more online this year.
Having more LBEs would not have reduced the numbers on line. The only way out is no limited eds (don't even think) or make them less attractive.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Re: Hogswatch LBE . . .

Postby annebn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 04:06 pm

One solution COULD be to limit the number of LBEs that each buyer can buy in one go, for limited editions. But I'm not sure this would be a popular solution.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Frank the Younger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 04:21 pm

annebn wrote:One solution COULD be to limit the number of LBEs that each buyer can buy in one go, for limited editions. But I'm not sure this would be a popular solution.

And when you are buying for multiple people?
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 04:27 pm

Muba wrote:I think this problem is a reflection of having some really popular stamps on sale, and it being a limited edition LBE. Then factor in no Hogswatch bash this year when many buyers got theirs at the event. There would have been many more online this year.
Having more LBEs would not have reduced the numbers on line. The only way out is no limited eds (don't even think) or make them less attractive.
Nooooooooooooooo! We love the limited editions and the more attractive the better! :D :wink:

Come on guys, don't let occasional glitches with websites (especially Paypal) get you down! The Emporium will sort it out + there's another batch available on Friday at 6pm and these second batches usually don't sell out quite so quickly . . . she said hopefully in case she gets the urge to buy a second batch (wouldn't be the first time! :oops: :mrgreen: )
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby annebn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 04:44 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:
annebn wrote:One solution COULD be to limit the number of LBEs that each buyer can buy in one go, for limited editions. But I'm not sure this would be a popular solution.

And when you are buying for multiple people?

If they didn't go so fast, you could buy for one, then log in and buy for the other?
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby the_apprentice » Tue Dec 01, 2015 04:47 pm

Philo Kvetch wrote:I was up early (in the USA) and on early. Something crashed during the PayPal payment process, and I ended up getting nothing. I am, of course, disappointed. :(

I'm not sure if we can do anything about paypal crashing, my understanding is that you're on their servers once our site has passed you on for payment. I had the same issue with a timed sale of American screen prints recently. I may be wrong of course and it doesn't sweeten the pill.

Those of you who have mentioned issues prior to this post, if you could take the time to email me on ian@discworldemporium.com I'll respond as best as possible.
the_apprentice

Postby Miss Tick » Tue Dec 01, 2015 05:05 pm

Muba wrote:I think this problem is a reflection of having some really popular stamps on sale, and it being a limited edition LBE. Then factor in no Hogswatch bash this year when many buyers got theirs at the event. There would have been many more online this year.

Very true, I would normally have got my LBE's at Hogswatch, and probably purchased far more than I did online this time (credit card madness at events v I know the state of my bank balance when at home).
"give me a task or I shall run mad"
Miss Tick

Postby dried_frog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 09:45 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Nooooooooooooooo! We love the limited editions and the more attractive the better! :D :wink:

Come on guys, don't let occasional glitches with websites (especially Paypal) get you down! The Emporium will sort it out + there's another batch available on Friday at 6pm and these second batches usually don't sell out quite so quickly . . . she said hopefully in case she gets the urge to buy a second batch (wouldn't be the first time! :oops: :mrgreen: )

It's okay, there is a second chance on Friday... It's very cool. But it don't solve the problem, from my point of view.
I think it's better to have no limited eds. More people will have a chance.

The problem is not only technical, for me. It's almost a philosophical problem.
For collectors who don't want to speculate on eBay,there is not real interest to buy limited eds.
I'm a simple reader who love Terry's Works, a simple collector who just wants to have a pretty complete stamps collection on the DW theme. And make some exchange on the GCTS if possible.
It's not a source of money for me: it's a pure pleasure.

I don't want to buy one missing LBE for £ 50 on some big site like Eb*y, because someone bought 200 LBE at once in a "LBE-Run" and, at the same time, 400 people on adrenaline press the F5 button (5 times per second, for 1 minute), causing the agony of a poor web server :lol: . No, thanks.

And finally, I would say that the limited editions are no more attractive than others: other editions are just as beautiful and full of surprizes. I must also say that I always had more sports (or winning tickets) with normal eds. :D
So, I think I'll pass for limited editions in the future, juste one LBE from my season ticket... (you may have even more again, Grace! :wink: )
Last edited by dried_frog on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby Muba » Tue Dec 01, 2015 09:49 pm

I didn't say I wanted no more limited editions - read it again. In fact I said keep them
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby dried_frog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Muba wrote:I didn't say I wanted no more limited editions - read it again. In fact I said keep them

I'm sorry, Muba, I have not undersand that. I'm french, and I mistranslated the words "don't even think".
Very, very sorry :?

Post edited, and corrected
But it does not change my point of view.
dried_frog

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:20 pm

dried_frog wrote:It's okay, there is a second chance on Friday... It's very cool. But it don't solve the problem, from my point of view.
I think it's better to have no limited eds. More people will have a chance.

For collectors who don't want to speculate on eBay,there is not real interest to buy limited eds.
I'm a simple reader who love Terry's Works, a simple collector who just wants to have a pretty complete stamps collection on the DW theme. And make some exchange on the GCTS if possible.

I don't want to buy one missing LBE for £ 50 on some big site like Eb*y, because someone bought 200 LBE at once in a "LBE-Run" and, at the same time, 400 people on adrenaline press the F5 button (5 times per second, for 1 minute), causing the agony of a poor web server :lol: . No, thanks.

And finally, I would say that the limited editions are no more attractive than others: other editions are just as beautiful and full of surprizes. I must also say that I always had more sports (or winning tickets) with normal eds. :D
So, I think I'll pass for limited editions in the future, juste one LBE from my season ticket... (you may have even more again, Grace! :wink: )
Je suis désolé, Dried_frog, mais je suis en désaccord - j'aime les éditions limitées! Je pense que le danger de manquer si vous n'êtes pas assez rapide à la caisse ajoute à l'excitation !! et je suis désolé pour mes pauvres français aussi ! :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Muba » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 pm

dried_frog wrote:

I DO want the limited edition LBEs, and I do not speculate on eBay.
And this is from a philosophical point of view too. It is not really collecting if all you do is buy one of each item available - from my perspective. Collecting should involve the randomness of getting a prize slip or something unique in a limited edition. If that fails, then trade your spares for other collectors spare. Use eBay as the last resort, and only when the price is right. Don't expect a complete collection; when you achieve that what do you do next? Google Paradise Syndrome to see what I mean.
For me the thrill of collecting is the chase for those elusive items - exercising the P word for years if need be. I am not adverse to paying a large sum of money when something really RARE comes on eBay. As long as it is worth the bid. This year I finally got my hands on something most collectors would kill for, but it almost went by un-noticed. However, I am not into funding speculator's lifestyles. The price has to be right.

Keep the limited editions and make them attractive to buyers. My heartrate still increases as the release time approaches. This is all part of the fun and the chase. A weekday morning batch and an evening batch on a different day should allow all of us a chance to buy. A bit more tricky if you don't live by BST/GMT, but a real collector will have set the alarm, bought and gone back to bed. Would having 3 batches and a weekend mid afternoon batch help?

I still think today's problems can be explained by more people buying online because of no Hogswatch meeting in Wincanton, and them coming up with some irresistible new stamps. It was only after the flurry of activity were we told that there would be one more standard LBE this year.
Muba

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed Dec 02, 2015 06:54 am

Oook!

I've hesitated to pitch in on this debate, since everyone knows me as the evil speculator on the Bay of Ee*. But first and foremost, I'm a Flatalist.

I started collecting in 2009 when I first discovered the Emporium web-site, and it was love at first sight - for the first time I understood my grandfather's stamp collection.

The excitement I feel when a new batch of limited edition-anything comes up has NOTHING to do with my later plans for my spares. I get a similar feeling when a new diary/atlas/bestiary/notebook/set of guild stickers is announced, to some degree.

It's the thrill of the hunt & chase, knowing that I'm up against others who love these beautiful little bits of paper as much as I do, that somewhere in all that little brown goodness there are gems waiting to be uncovered and cherished.

I'm sorry for the many who didn't manage to get their orders in yesterday due to server failure. But that doesn't mean you get to smash the board, take all your marbles and sulk off home.
As well as being wonderfully creative & artistic, the Emporium also has some of the most helpful & considerate people I have ever encountered - ask for their help instead of whining about a technical problem which probably generated closer to your end of the server-chain. But I won't speak for them (or for you lot, either).

I will just speak for me when I say that I love the limited edition LBEs, and I believe I would continue to love them even if my timing was off and I missed ordering them. There are enough wonderful, helpful people on this very forum who would help even as villainous a collector as myself fill a gap either by trade or outright donation (you lovely people know who you are!)

* My partner in speculhood** has to wheedle and threaten me when it comes to selling really rare covers & stamps (really, who doesn't want a spare Ominan Turtle or 10th Birthday Cover).
** to whom I still owe a rather large sum of money from the 2 years I was living off her while searching for day-job no.2
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby dried_frog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 09:16 am

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I brought this little debate. It was not my intention. I agree with you on many, many points.

Thank you, Grace, for your reply in french, very nice !

I am a newbie compared to you, I know the Discworld Emporium only since 2012, and although the website and the forum is in English, I was immediately hooked.

I discovered the Discworld Emporium team, which is absolutely wonderful, and that helped me many times about problems.

I often look at the forum, to read your posts (and try to improve a bit my English language). And I learn a lot from you. And it long continue!

I will continue anyway to collect the Discworld Emporium wonderful products. Because it's very funny.

Thank you to all those who took a little time to explain their views. I understand better today the reasons for these limited editions.

I wish you all a good day!
dried_frog

Postby steeljam » Wed Dec 02, 2015 09:47 am

Collection is not just about getting The Stamp; it is also about observation. When you open an LBE, don't just flick through the stamps looking for the pair which will show you there is a sport, but look at each stamp caregully.
The Emporium create thousands of stamps and the Emporium lads and lassies are only human and errors occur. Muba has a very good eye and recently spotted the $1 TOA had migrated from brown to red-brown. I missed it until he pointed it out. A quick search in my GCTS pile located 2 of the colour variations. The difference eas down to a reprint of this stamp. Colour matching is a tricky job.
Other variations have included stamps being printed on the gummed side and pieces of chad getting on the plate leaving white holes in odd places and even a sport that the designers had forgotten they had created.
But you have to observe each stsmp to find these special variations.
Good hunting.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Next

Return to The Stamps