Discworld

Looking back...

General Stamp discussion.

Looking back...

Postby the_apprentice » Thu Feb 04, 2016 05:45 pm

Wotcha folks!

As I plan the next few issues and look at the year going forward, it got me thinking...

The wonderful thing about Discworld is that we all have our own vision. Of course this also means that we can't please all of the people al of the time, so I thought I'd ask you to have your say. What were your favourite issues of The Year of the Spinning Mouse and why?

Anyone who takes the time to answer will be put in a draw for a couple of free LBEs.

As ever, Steve Jameseseseses Discworld Stamp Catalogue is in hand to help refresh your memory!
http://www.discworldstampcatalogue.co.uk/shs0361.php
the_apprentice

Re: Looking back...

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 07:10 pm

I have to say that the issues I most enjoyed were the $1 Sir Samuel Vimes, in blue and Lavender, and the 25P Sgt. John Keel.
The little variations in shade and cross-hatching seemed totally appropriate to a Teemer & Spools issue.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Thu Feb 04, 2016 08:05 pm

My personal favourite was the Dr Whiteface. His looks hit on the character to perfection.

The Vimes and Keel stamps provided something new.

And it was nice to get the Nuggan labels. I wouldn't such an item every year, but like the Om labels they are an extra to collect.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Feb 04, 2016 08:31 pm

Ooooooo that is a tricky one as there were so many great stamps last year!
I also really loved the Sir Samuel Vimes and John Keel stamps - who wouldn't love a celebration of the force of nature that is His Grace, His Excellency, The Duke of Ankh; Commander Sir Samuel Vimes, Blackboard Monitor?
I also have a soft spot for the Krull one flot, what with Tim Peake being up there in his own astro-exploratory vessel at the moment
Then there's the Hogswatch Dragons, who are all gorgeous characters, each with stories of their own to tell and I so wish I had been lucky enough to win one of the original artworks, but at least I did get all the sports . . . eventually :D
But if pushed, I think my favourite would be from the new Unseen University trio: love the High Energy Magic Builing stamp (as who doesn't like seeing a fine pair of Wizard's balls on display? :wink: ), but my vote would be for the UU Penny Farthing - it's such a beautiful piece of artwork and really captures the UU Library perfectly. I love all the details in this picture (the Wizard's bust and the flapping books escaping) and the banana peel is a great reminder that the best librarians are always a discreet presence . . . seen, but not heard - unless a student is unwise enough not to follow library rules that is! You can just imagine that the Librarian has just popped his banana down for a moment, while he goes off to wrestle an escaped incunable down from the rafters and get it safely chained back in the stacks :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Squigglyx » Thu Feb 04, 2016 08:50 pm

For me it's got to be the Sir Sam and John Keel and the Wonders of the World Series.
I think the latter reflects the style of stamps we see on the roundworld.
Last edited by Squigglyx on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squigglyx

Postby Darren » Thu Feb 04, 2016 09:20 pm

Personally I'd have to go with the "Wonders of the World" series, as they're nice stamps but also in keeping with what the Post Office in the city might actually have issued.

Whilst the other stamps are fine specimens artistically, I'm not sure that some of them would actually have been released by the AMPO (in keeping with narrativium and all that). I don't think some of the issues would be truly "in character" for the stories and characters themselves, iykwim (and some certainly wouldn't have been allowed by the people featuring on them, or would cause too much argument and controversy if issued).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby phalarope » Fri Feb 05, 2016 04:25 am

I remain a fan of the classic look of the definitives, including the 50p Cabbage. I'm so pleased that these designs now seem to have a longevity after the 'excursion' of the Year of the Pensive Hare (2009). It amazes me what relatively subtle changes to the design of the Penny Patrician can achieve in making a stamp interesting.

As a tradithional philatelitht, and sometime souvenir envelope creator, I appreciate those designs that look like you might actually put them on mail - because I am going to have do exactly that. I really liked the Hogswatch special delivery minisheet. And although I liked the theme of the Vimes/Keel issues, I felt the stamps themselves were far too large. Plus the cigar on Vimes really changed his aspect. Made him look waaay too Bogart. I kept expecting him to reach up and take it out of his mouth and drawl "Play it Sam'. :roll:

I also liked the "Wonders of the World " series, for the same reasons that Darren mentioned.
Last edited by phalarope on Sat Feb 06, 2016 01:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Feb 05, 2016 05:54 am

Favourite stamp in terms of colour and image- Hogswatch dragons. What can I say, I'm a big dragon fan and have been for many many years. Close second is the UU One Penny Farthing (library with books)

Favourite stamp backstory- The Sam Vimes/ John Keel. I'm actually a bit meh about the stamps themselves just because the monochrome look, but I did enjoy going and learning about the technique to create the image and the artist (but I realise not everyone researches articles for their stamp albums like I do- pity cos it can be fun :D)

Other stamp features I enjoyed- I really liked the selvedge bits such as the Treacle Mine Rd Label and the distinct label bits (The Year of the labels on the definatives and the TOA mini version). It's nice because one can luck out and get one and can enjoy them as single units without needing to buy a whole sheet.

Meh things- Limited recoloured versions eg Sam Vimes purple. Doesn't add anything to the stamp history/story to me and it ends up making it disappointing if you are after sports of the same and you don't have a bottomless wallet. Plus the leftovers are not tradable for GCTS so they end up just lurking in the drawer of shame*

*the place were stamps go if there is nothing else I can do with them.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Maxxheadroom » Fri Feb 05, 2016 08:01 am

My favourite is Sto Plains One Pence because was my very first DW stamps :D
Maxxheadroom

Postby Muba » Fri Feb 05, 2016 02:52 pm

phalarope wrote: Plus the cigar on Vimes' really changed his aspect. Made him look waaay too Bogart. I kept expecting him to reach up and take it out of his mouth and drawl "Play it Sam'.

That was my first impression too!

But I have to take the minority view it seems, and come out against the two minisheet collections,
The minor guilds just did'nt seem to be proper stamps. They centred on the heads of the guilds rather than what they did.
The wonders of the world stamps seemd odd coming from AM when all the wonders are hundreds of miles away in different countries
The style of the illustrations wasn't very 'stampy' and didn't go with the frames.
The animations was a good idea and amusing but you can't see that by looking at the stamps.
I would have been happy with 2 minisheets, with one stamp for each subject.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Philo Kvetch » Fri Feb 05, 2016 03:09 pm

I like the Glory to Zlobenia Two Zloty, particularly the overprint. I am fond of the obscurer items. Reminds me of my childhood days in Zlobenia. I also appreciate the (perhaps) tribute to the Fredonia National Anthem from the Marx Bros. Duck Soup (1933).
Philo Kvetch

Postby phalarope » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Philo Kvetch wrote:I also appreciate the (perhaps) tribute to the Fredonia National Anthem from the Marx Bros. Duck Soup (1933).

I am uneducated - 'splain, please. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Vicky4Ecks » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:18 pm

All the stamps have been great this year. So much colour and new themes and people. I always enjoy the tower of art stamps, but I think this year seeing a Vimes stamp was a highlight along with its many coloured variants. The great thing about Discworld stamps is that they all stand out for some reason
Vicky4Ecks

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Feb 06, 2016 01:10 pm

I like the Clacks Delivery Three Pence and the Sixpence Duty Paid Blue both of these just seem more detailed with everything sharper.

Mind you the Tower of Art has always been my favourite stamp, mainly because the TOA was the first building I got from Bernard and to this day it lives on my desk.
Mind you the stamp has always been wrong (the top is the wrong way round) which makes me smile.
Actually the desk and its contents have changed multiple times and only the tower and me have been there all the time.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sat Feb 06, 2016 07:09 pm

Oook!

I love the way the Cabbage Field sport refers to the almost-last book, and the Krull stamp goes right back to the beginning. But there's also a lot to be said for the Morpork Five Pence Olives Smiley :D
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Next

Return to The Stamps