Discworld

Looking Forward

General Stamp discussion.

Looking Forward

Postby phalarope » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 am

Somewhat in the spirit of Ian's request for us to look backwards; let's look forwards. What would you like to see on upcoming stamps. What topics, design elements, artists, philatelic (flatelic) thingummies would get you drooling?

I'll start . . .

Perf-ins. 8) Onna Penny Patrician. :wink: Maybe for TG25OM. Or the stamp anniversary. Could be a sheet. Could be like the Initial Patrician (although that might be a perforator's nightmare). Just sayin'........
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Re: Looking Forward

Postby Muba » Fri Feb 05, 2016 02:45 pm

What would I like to see?

Firstly, when a seies is announced I'd like to see more than one stamp :?
The Great Artworks of Ankh-Morpork has stalled at Man with Dog, issued some 18 months ago. Where is the Mona Ogg stamp? Where is the 10 stamp strip with the Battle of Koom Valley? There are others mentioned in the books.
Historic Ankh-Morpork also has but one stamp. Now there's a chance for an ongoing series. Plenty of choice. Message me if you need ideas ;) Seriously though, something like this needs to be issued together as a set, or throughout a year so they get displayed together on one album page.

Fauna and Flora of DW; again a set please.

New regionals from places which haven't quite joined in yet. Take a leisurely trip up the Ankh, or catch the train northwards and there's a couple of large towns which feature in the books a few times, but seem to lack a postal service. As they are described as cosmopolitan they could be a mish-mash of styles and be bi- or multi-lingual.
And the Brown Islands - especially if they feature the pearl fishers ;)

If another sheet with alternate stamps and labels is produced, like Omnia or Borogravia, have an LBE only label with different text.

Shame that the stamps weren't around for the Tercentenary of the Battle of Ankh Morpork, but are there any other historical anniversaries begging for a stamp?

Pigeon post

I'll be back later if I can think of more.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Feb 06, 2016 01:17 pm

I think we need more stamps from outside Ankh-Morpork. There are lots of places on the discworld and local stamps allow us to see more of these different places, or in my case wonder which book that image actually came from.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Muba » Sat Feb 06, 2016 02:57 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:or in my case wonder which book that image actually came from.

You can't do better than this for that :thumbl:
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Murgatroyd » Sat Feb 06, 2016 03:02 pm

I'd also like to see a series of issues devoted to the flora and fauna of the Discworld... including the sledgehammer plant that seems to be both.
There's plenty more possibilities for the "God of the month" series... Offler or Bibulous might work.
"Collectors Cards" for the commands of OM, the Abominations of Nuggan, and the Merchant stamp Advertisement series would also be a great idea! When complete they could be cashed in for an indulgence, an extra penance, or a small book of coupons (alas expired).
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Return to The Stamps