Discworld

Perforated Proof Sheet

General Stamp discussion.

Perforated Proof Sheet

Postby Murgatroyd » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 pm

I was checking through some old SH stamp journals, and I came across something I don't believe I've seen before: It was the Offer with issue 17 of the journal, that came out in the spring of 2009 and is described as: A Perforated Proof sheet featuring five of the special stamps which have appeared on mail from Wincanton in the past few months. St Tourettes, St Aspergers, The peoples republic Wincanton twinned with Pyong Yang, The Year of the Ox, and the 2 1/2 percent Virtual Added Tax stamp.

I've never seen one anywhere, and it sounds a lovely item. Does anyone have one? I'd love to see a scan, or even buy one.

It also harks back to a time when it seems to have been possible to get nice clean copies of Wincanton mail stamps by way of a Journal offer...
There have been some lovely Wincanton mail stamps issued recently, and I'm sure that a perforated mini sheet offer of, for instance, the Wincanton Bee series would be a sure fire seller! I'd buy two sheets at once!

Though the journals are no longer subscription based, and don't come with a special subscriber's stamp, (and more's the pity), there's no reason such items shouldn't be made available to us to buy as a journal offer. Failing that there's also the possibility of making them available under the Cabbage Green scheme, though as a Journal offer they could actually be sold to recoup their printing costs.

It seems such a waste to design beautiful stamps and then not satisfy the demand for them in some mutually beneficent way.

If offered the chance to buy, or "spend" CGTS stamps, to get mint examples of Wincanton mail stamps would you be interested? (This post was written without any form of consultation... and may well get me into a lot of trouble... :( )
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Re: Perforated Proof Sheet

Postby danjim » Wed Mar 23, 2016 04:33 pm

My recollection was that this never actually appeared and instead a booklet was produced on 50 year old paper. I have now found the original discussion thread on the subject

http://www.discworldemporium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13250&p=544008&hilit=+special+paper#p544008

which confirms it.
danjim

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 05:32 pm

Thanks. I've been given a scan of it, and it's a nice little booklet. I can now cross this "Perforated proof" off my wants list. Always something new to learn! :D
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby steeljam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 09:33 pm

This is the booklet details mentioned.
The actual booklet.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 03:22 pm

Having gone through all my DW Paperwork it turns out that I had a copy of this all the time, but very buried in the pile.
50 year old paper eh?
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 am

Murgatroyd wrote:Having gone through all my DW Paperwork it turns out that I had a copy of this all the time, but very buried in the pile.
50 year old paper eh?

All Penny Blacks are printed on 176 year old paper. That sheet is merely adolescent even compared to me ;)
I have loads of books printed on older paper
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby phalarope » Sat Mar 26, 2016 08:00 pm

Muba wrote:
Murgatroyd wrote:Having gone through all my DW Paperwork it turns out that I had a copy of this all the time, but very buried in the pile.
50 year old paper eh?

All Penny Blacks are printed on 176 year old paper
:lol: :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Return to The Stamps