Discworld

For Sale a lot of early DW stamps

General Stamp discussion.

For Sale a lot of early DW stamps

Postby shambles » Thu Mar 31, 2016 07:56 pm

Hello folks

It is sometime since I have been on the forum, so long that I have forgotten my original name and password1!

I have been v busy in the Roundworld Philately and now need to raise some of the old spondulicks.

I started collecting in year 1 so I have a lot of rare material e.g. The green Susan Sto Helit bottom Left corner with Sport, ( sorry long time no see my DW stamps), and an awful lot of sheets, over 100, including a sheet of the 1st edition Tower of Art with the two Sports removed but I have them. I also have the two sheets of Thieves Guild rejected by pTerry as too small, (I think under 10 sheets escaped before the doors clanged shut!). I have a a pair of original triangles together.

Now I am rambling on as I need advice how I can shift this lot. There seems to be a lot on ebay, so is this the best place to use.

Over to all you lovely folks out there.
shambles

Re: For Sale a lot of early DW stamps

Postby phalarope » Thu Mar 31, 2016 09:18 pm

You could certainly do a private sale here, listing what you have and the price you'd like to get. You could open bidding for a set length of time, and ask people to send you their best offers. You would save eBay fees, and, at least for the items that sell here, the satisfaction of knowing your treasures are going to true fans, and Flatelic fans to boot. On the other hand, eBay handles all the 'competition' aspects of a sale, payment risks and process, and could result in your realizing the highest return. Nobody's feelings should get hurt on eBay, either.

So it's really up to you. Personally - I'd prefer to deal directly with you and cut eBay out, but others may feel differently.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Muba » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 pm

What Phalarope said.

You might reach a wider audience on eBay, but will they dig deeper?
If nothing else, please list what you have to sell. I'm sure many of us would be interested.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Frank the Younger » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:43 pm

There are certainly a number of early items I would be interested in.

List here and if you don't get what you want then over to ebay sound like a plan.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Miss Tick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:46 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:There are certainly a number of early items I would be interested in.

List here and if you don't get what you want then over to ebay sound like a plan.

What Frank said
:)
"give me a task or I shall run mad"
Miss Tick

Postby phalarope » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:54 pm

If you check out the Trading thread and look at the Wants list on each post, you'll find a number of us are interested in the very early items. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Miss Tick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:25 am

phalarope wrote:If you check out the Trading thread and look at the Wants list on each post, you'll find a number of us are interested in the very early items. :D

I need to sit down and do a wants list again, its on my list of lists things to do :oops:
"give me a task or I shall run mad"
Miss Tick

Postby shambles » Fri Apr 01, 2016 03:43 pm

Thank you to all who replied, I am v grateful.

I will put out a list but the prices are v difficult, esp since I heard a stamp went for over £3K. I do not want to appear too avaricious but the Roundworld prices are rocketing.

I am interested in private sale but sorting money etc.

I will work out a list and come back.

Thanks to one and all.
shambles

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Apr 01, 2016 04:47 pm

If you have a look at the "Sold items" in the Discworld stamp section on e-bay you'll see what DW stamps are actually selling for...
It's a mistake to equate the optimistic selling prices of some DW stamps with their actual current value... Many items put in at a high price don't sell at all.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Statsman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 08:09 pm

Miss Tick wrote:
Frank the Younger wrote:There are certainly a number of early items I would be interested in.

What Frank said

What Frank & Carole said
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby steeljam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 08:34 pm

Statsman wrote:
Miss Tick wrote:

What Frank said

What Frank & Carole said
What Statsman said :D
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Apr 01, 2016 09:50 pm

Many of us can pay with PayPal (fees are again a potential issue, but can be worked around), and many of us are on eBay if you'd like to vet potential buyers in advance. There's a thread with Forum names cross-referenced to eBay names here.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Return to The Stamps