Discworld

The 400th Stamp

General Stamp discussion.

Re: The 400th Stamp

Postby Murgatroyd » Wed Apr 27, 2016 09:16 pm

I hope we can all understand this moment of compassion... :thumbl:
Speaking as one who lived in the far east for the first four years of my flataly habit, I can understand the joy of actually getting to see something ahead of everyone else, instead of three weeks later, when everyone else has had theirs. :cry:
I think you did the right thing! :D
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 09:35 pm

A stint on the naughty step maybe too Cruel and Unusual a punishment for an act of kindness to a Flatalist from For'n parts . . . maybe Reb can just beat you on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly . . . :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby the_apprentice » Wed Apr 27, 2016 09:56 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:A stint on the naughty step maybe too Cruel and Unusual a punishment for an act of kindness to a Flatalist from For'n parts . . . maybe Reb can just beat you on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly . . . :lol:

Ooer missus!

(On a side note, after your berating, when last we met, I very nearly watched a Star Wars film. Got as far as renting it but not watching it - also, it was the latest one and I have no idea what happened in the others... Apart from the fact that someone did the kestrel run and the guy dressed like batman is someone's father.)
the_apprentice

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:32 pm

the_apprentice wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:A stint on the naughty step maybe too Cruel and Unusual a punishment for an act of kindness to a Flatalist from For'n parts . . . maybe Reb can just beat you on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly . . . :lol:

Ooer missus!

(On a side note, after your berating, when last we met, I very nearly watched a Star Wars film. Got as far as renting it but not watching it - also, it was the latest one and I have no idea what happened in the others... Apart from the fact that someone did the kestrel run and the guy dressed like batman is someone's father.)
Ooooooooo, you rotten old Sith!! That's enough to make me go over to the Darkside - when next we meet I'll be beating you on the bottom with a Woman's Weekly myself!!

Kestrel run indeed!! How very dare you - haven't you heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs . . . :D

As for a "guy dressed like batman" . . . I find your lack of faith disturbing . . .

It's the Deathstar for you, young fella my lad!! :twisted: . . . all together now, "I have a bad feeling about this . . ."

**mutter mutter mutter, Kestrel run, mutter mutter mutter**
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Muba » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Millennium Falcon? That slouch of a spaceship? Find out the which is faster and the fastest
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Frank the Younger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 09:54 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Kestrel run indeed!! How very dare you - haven't you heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs . . . :D

Its a real shame George Lucas apparently has no idea of measurements, spoils the whole scene. Like saying you ran the marathon in 50 yards.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 am

Frank the Younger wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Kestrel run indeed!! How very dare you - haven't you heard of the Millennium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs . . . :D

Its a real shame George Lucas apparently has no idea of measurements, spoils the whole scene. Like saying you ran the marathon in 50 yards.
I don't think anyone would argue that George Lucas had a firm grasp on the laws of physics . . . or good dialogue for that matter, if the latter trilogy is anything to go by - thank god for the presence of Gary Kurtz on the originals and Harrison Ford telling him "George, you can type this shit, but you can't say it!" :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:
People have been caught trying to run the marathon in a couple of miles.
When I ride to Wincanton I am given a number of options - through London 112 miles or around the M25 132 miles. The shorter route is not necessarily the fastest route. My SatNav works through hundreds of possible routes and comes back with the shortest and fastest.
It is never explained how the FTL system works. If the route to the distant destination requires avoiding areas with high gravitation. Getting an optimum route would be seen as skillful and beneficial.
So "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." could well be true.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Thu Apr 28, 2016 04:26 pm

the_apprentice wrote:I do, however, have a confession.... I have sinned.

You are completely forgiven. Particularly for calling me lovely :wink:
For all the times she's patiently waited whilst you gleefully liberated your stampish hauls...

For the whistfull look on her eager chops...

I do that well, don't I? :lol:
For the fact that we had to chase her off the stamp bin that morning...

It was actually the rubbish bin, and there is an embarrassing photo ... :P
We let This lovely lady pick up her Cruel and Unusal Geography LBEs in person, a couple of days earlier then the rest of you.
In my defence, dear forumeers, if you'd have seen the look on her face... It would have melted your hearts too.

I was so stunned I took only 4 of the 6. :roll: Oh well, a small price to pay for a pre-first-day issue. :D :D :bounce:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Frank the Younger » Thu Apr 28, 2016 06:20 pm

steeljam wrote:So "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs." could well be true.

A parsec is a measure of distance the quote is one of time, so no.
Even if you are talking about distance compression so a long distance is in some way shorter, it is SF after all, time is still a basic measurement is seconds and a parsec is in metres.
I have no problem is believing George Lucas had no idea what he was writing, most SF has the same problem and even Babylon 5 which in many ways had 'good' science still had idiot scenes with spaceships in a nice neat horizontal lines like ships at sea
Frank the Younger

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 28, 2016 09:02 pm

The quote is

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Which isn't specifically about time. If you're being generous you could just interpret it as taking a (possibly unknown and/or dangerous) short cut from the more commonly used but longer route.

It can be argued either way, and as it's fiction there's no real definitive right or wrong answer.

Also it has of course been discussed ad nauseum in the various books and forums around the movie franchise:

The Expanded Universe puts forth the most interesting and thorough explanation to the "parsec problem": the Kessel Run was normally an 18-parsec route. A popular travel route for smuggling operations, the Kessel Run went around the Maw, a cluster of black holes.

Han's claim to have made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs was therefore not just a boast about his ship's speed, but also his skills and daring as a pilot. Han shaved a third of the distance -- and precious time -- off the normal route by flying dangerous close to the black holes.

This explanation is detailed in A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy. In "At the Crossroads: The Spacer's Tale," the bounty hunter BoShek beats Han's record, although this feat isn't as impressive because he didn't have a cargo in tow. Don't worry -- our fearless bounty hunter retook the record in the comic strip The Second Kessel Run.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Frank the Younger » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:03 am

Darren wrote:This explanation is detailed in A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy.

I still think George Lucas had no idea what he was talking about and someone who does found a way top dig him out of a hole.
Frank the Younger

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:25 pm

That I would agree is a distinct possibility... ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Muba » Fri Apr 29, 2016 09:12 pm

It's unfortunate that the sheet cannot be split to provide blocks of the 4 different stamps.
However it can be split to remove the sports and then provide 4 strips of 4 different stamps with each of the four being the first, and ditto for vertical strips.
From the remainder you can also have 4 different horizontal and 4 different vertical pairs.
And there will still be 12 stamps left over for GCTS (if these stamps go into that scheme)

Or shall I just keep the sheet?
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon May 02, 2016 06:55 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:It's the Deathstar for you, young fella my lad!! :twisted:
Oook!

I sense a disturbance in the Force, as though a whole Forum cried out in pain "No! He'll take the Emporium with him!" :evil:
Unless you mean to make him assemble the large-scale Lego model. That actually sounds pretty appropriate :twisted: :thumbl:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to The Stamps