Discworld

How do you keep track of your stamps?

General Stamp discussion.

How do you keep track of your stamps?

Postby Sammy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:49 am

Hi! Being fairly new to this lark, I'm wondering how best to keep track of the small mountain of stamps I seem to be accumulating. I've got the catalog pdfs and I go through them and delete out the stamps I have (although I'm now two LBEs behind, oops).

How do you organise them? By year? By location?

Wondering about stamp albums too. I'd love one with the AMPO stamp on the front. HintyMcHint.
Sammy

Re: How do you keep track of your stamps?

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:57 pm

There are a number of different opinions on this. Many collectors simply start a new album each year, and store their collection indexed by the release dates of the stamps.
I came to collecting Discworld Stamps fairly late, and to me it made more sense to arrange my stamps by type... thus I have a couple of albums for definitives, one for AMPO General issues, one for the Guilds, one for foreign parts, and one for Hogswatch, Jamboree, and stickers... However I may re-index my collection soon, and will probably revert to the "One album for each year" format. I must up-date my checklist soon too!
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby phalarope » Fri Apr 29, 2016 02:08 pm

You're going to want an Excel spreadsheet, very soon :wink: :lol:
I use the excellent one started by Doc Brown at the beginning of time, and now update it using Steeljam's catalog. I color code what I have, what's missing, sports, etc.
For archiving and display, I started with the original Stanley Howler album pages, and now make my own in Word, again using images and text from Steve's excellent catalog and a font I downloaded and tweaked to look like the original.
I can send you some stuff, but beware the files are BIG!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Sammy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 04:03 pm

My internet connection is used to abuse :lol:

I've also got a shiny new printer to use..
Sammy

Postby steeljam » Fri Apr 29, 2016 06:05 pm

I use my own computer generated album to organise my stamps. It is available for download from the Stamp Catalogue website Album
I update the album after each stamp issue.

I can also supply extracts from the database I use to generate the pages in Excel, Word or CSV format.
You may find this extract useful Stamp Index. It lists each stamp showing the number of commons, sports, overprints, variations and imperfections.

I also use stock books to hold my extras. Each page for two stamp issues. I use index slips to give the stamp details Tabs
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Fri Apr 29, 2016 06:34 pm

I once explained how I did it in a topic called 'The Springall Stamp Sorting, Storing and Sending System'. It is still here at
http://www.discworldemporium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23201&p=672771&hilit=springall#p672241

A bit of a long explanation but it does cover everything for the stamps.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Apr 29, 2016 09:14 pm

I originally had my own albums sorted by Country and year, but have recently started to re sort everything and am using Steve's (Steeljam's) excellent albums.
I've got the lat 3 years to sort and mount as of yet, but I'm getting there.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby Sammy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 08:14 am

steeljam wrote:I use my own computer generated album to organise my stamps. It is available for download from the Stamp Catalogue website Album
I update the album after each stamp issue.

I can also supply extracts from the database I use to generate the pages in Excel, Word or CSV format.
You may find this extract useful Stamp Index. It lists each stamp showing the number of commons, sports, overprints, variations and imperfections.

I also use stock books to hold my extras. Each page for two stamp issues. I use index slips to give the stamp details Tabs

Aha! So those are yours! I do have those, I should probably print some out sometime, I don't think I have much (or any) before the Year of the Reciprocating Llama.

I am now full of ideas. I suppose the first step is working out what I actually have, and what could be sent off to the GCTS..
Sammy

Postby steeljam » Sat Apr 30, 2016 08:44 am

Frank the Younger wrote:I once explained how I did it in a topic called 'The Springall Stamp Sorting, Storing and Sending System'. It is still here at
http://www.discworldemporium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23201&p=672771&hilit=springall#p672241
A bit of a long explanation but it does cover everything for the stamps.
I tried your method once but
2. Open LBEs, drool over new stamps,
ruined a lot of stamps with damp and I had to stop.
I now had a splash proof screen between me and the stamps :D
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Return to The Stamps