Discworld

Mort folio edition signed special edition stamps

General Stamp discussion.

Mort folio edition signed special edition stamps

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Jul 10, 2016 09:39 pm

I've just spotted an unusual item on e-bay;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORT-Folio-Society-SIGNED-LIMITED-Terry-Pratchett-Stamps-ExLibris-MINT-/222181353486?hash=item33bb0a680e:g:GCsAAOSwGXtXgPXf

Are or have there these stamps ever been available in any other way?
The background appears to be white, as opposed to the similar set that came with the "Going Postal" DVD
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Re: Mort folio edition signed special edition stamps

Postby phalarope » Mon Jul 11, 2016 02:06 am

Good eye Charles. Mumble mumble mumble, grrrrrr. You know, Bernard and Co. really ought to start a marketing scheme "Limited Edition book cover, only available with purchase of these extremely expensive reprints of Year 1 stamps". :roll:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Muba » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:58 am

Murgatroyd wrote:I've just spotted an unusual item on e-bay;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORT-Folio-Society-SIGNED-LIMITED-Terry-Pratchett-Stamps-ExLibris-MINT-/222181353486?hash=item33bb0a680e:g:GCsAAOSwGXtXgPXf

Are or have there these stamps ever been available in any other way?
The background appears to be white, as opposed to the similar set that came with the "Going Postal" DVD

I think its the same item as the GP DVD freebie. The whole image is just pale making the background look whitish. There is definitely a creaminess to the background. Whether it is a second and bit paler print is another matter though.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Joolz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 01:33 pm

I think Steve is right.

The mini-sheet (aside from paleness which may simply be the image in the listing) looks very much like the Post Office Half Penny Special Issue mini-sheet issued for the release of the Going Postal Limited Edition DVD and Blu-ray.

The Walk No 2 card (although not signed) was also part of the Going Postal Limited Edition DVD and Blu-ray package and the reverse of it specifically states its provenance.

I notice that the ebay listing details include the words "featured in Going Postal" next to the descriptions of the "SIGNED Limited Card" and the "Complementary Limited Stamps". So I suspect the seller knows that these two items are quite separate from the Folio Society edition of Mort (still available in this standard edition from the Folio Society itself for £34.95) but isn't necessarily making that fact entirely transparent in the listing.

So, hopefully, we can all relax in the reasonable expectation that this isn't a previously unknown special issue crawling out of the woodwork six years after issue. Phew! :)
Joolz

Postby the_apprentice » Mon Jul 11, 2016 01:48 pm

Just had a shufti. Looks very much like someone is combining items to be able to offer something a teeny bit different. There were no separate print runs, for those wondering.
:)
the_apprentice

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 04:13 pm

Thanks Everyone,
I was concerned that I'd missed something... I guess the seller got Pterry to sign the card at some stage. I know that colour tones can be very distorted depending on the lighting when the photo is taken, and by computer graphics, and this clears up the mystery. I thought that it would have been unlikely that a separate mini sheet release could have been missed by the eagle eyed collectors on this forum, but it seemed a fair question to ask!
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby phalarope » Mon Jul 11, 2016 04:59 pm

Thanks for taking a rummage through the files, Ian. I was taken in by the border of the sheet shown on eBay, which doesn't appear on the image of the sheet I feegled from Steve's catalog for my album (but IS on the image on the Catalogue website). I should have looked at the real McCoy but was too lazy to wander upstairs to the stamp cavern. :oops: I will go sit in the naughty corner now. :oops: :oops:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Return to The Stamps