Discworld

Stamp of the Year...

General Stamp discussion.

Stamp of the Year...

Postby the_apprentice » Thu Dec 08, 2016 05:33 pm

Right you 'orrible lot. It's that time of year again!

This year we've been to new places on the Disc, we've attempted themes never before seen and we've picked up a lot of new friends and collectors along the way! To be honest, we've had a lot of fun this year, we've really enjoyed putting the issues together. We've enjoyed getting back into the swing of doing a few covers again. We've loved working with our associate artists. We've tried to provide a mix of the traditional and the new. We've just received the definitves for the Year of the Backwards Facing Artichoke... and after packing orders all day, every day... we're raring to get back to the drawing board and start stamping!

As ever, we really value your feedback, forums across the board as slowing down with the rise of social media, but I know that a lot of you remaining here are some of the most knowledgeable and invested collectors, so If any of you have a mo, I'd really love to hear what you're favourite stamp this year has been, and why.

To jog your memories, this year has seen:

» Hogswatch Delivery One Penny
» Post Office Half Penny Burgundy
» Penny Patrician Panda
» Ankh Two Pence Blue
» Morpork Five Pence Green
» Morporkia Ten Pence Violet
» $1 Tower of Art
» Cabbage Fields Fifty Pence
» Assassins’ Guild Three Pence
» One Farthing Trilithon
» La Sorbumme One Penny
» Cruel & Unusual Geography Set
» Treacle Mine Road Lilac
» Ohulan Cutash One Crown
» Royal Bank of Ankh-Morpork Pair
» Railway Farthing Set
» Musicians’ Guild One Penny
» Musicians’ Guild Three Pence
» Temple of Small Gods Triangle
» Alchemists’ Guild 3p
» Soul Cake Duck 1p
» International Parcel Mail Diamond Pair
» Hogfather One Penny
» Hogswatch 50p Set
(as nicked of Steeljam's ever helpful site!)

As ever, we'd like to add a MASSIVE thank you for your support over the Year of the Sneezing Panda... Without you lot we'd all have to go and get proper jobs. So, we'd like to wish you all a Very very happy Hogswatch from the Emporium gang; Reb, Bernard, Isobel, Sarah the Packing Pixie, Perforatin' Steve, Terry & Ade the Printers, myself and of course, the cats.
the_apprentice

Re: Stamp of the Year...

Postby Muba » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:14 pm

For me its a draw between Soul Cake Duck 1p and the International Parcel Mail Diamond Pair.
The former for its delightful simplicity - no unnecessary embelishements, it is what it is.
The latter because they look the part - worthy of being seen all over the Disc
A close third has to be the Hogswatch stamps - both for the artwork and how they are part of a bigger picture
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby CanadianGadfly » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:38 pm

For me, the International Parcel Mail Diamond Pair is my first choice. The subtle use of colour, the unusual shape of the stamps and the sweep of the subject matter -- the whole Disc -- makes this an easy decision. Second, I picked the full colour Hogswatch stamps; a very good use of a beautiful piece of artwork that fits the seasonal theme perfectly. Third place for me is the Royal Bank of Ankh-Morpork Pair. The unique use of colour to resemble currency, plus depicting banking and commerce in such a appropriately humorous fashion (including the sports) made this a fine addition to the Discworld philatelic family. :shock:
CanadianGadfly

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 pm

Picking a favourite is a real toughie, as I feel that this year has been a particularly fine bumper crop :thumbl: Well done to all involved :thumbl:

Of the 'traditional' stamps, I particularly liked the Morpokia sports - seeing her swigging out of a bottle or snaffling a quick fag, seems very apt for the figurehead of Ankh-Morpork :wink: :lol: - damn good sense of humour there, whoever thought up those sports :thumbr:
I also loved the new Assassins Guild, the Llamedos Ffyrling, the Soulcake Duck and the Railway Farthings . I would like to say the Temple of Small Gods Triangle, but I haven't been lucky enough to get one yet . . . mutter grumble mutter

Of the more illustrative stamps:
The AM Hogswatch stamps are just beautiful - I love the detail in David Wyatt's illustration, and he's perfectly captured the spirit of an Ankh-Morpork Hogswatch for me: the delightful anticipation of nice things being delivered by the Hogfather, the heart-warming (if nasally challenging) spectacle of the Canting Crew singing Carols around the Hogswatch Tree . . . and the sinister threat of mortal peril when you least expect it . . . :twisted: :lol:
I also have to put in a vote for the International Parcel Mail stamps and the sheet itself as well: lovely combination of subject and design (the illustration, the colour choice and the diamond shape all work so well). And completely agree with CanadianGadfly on the Royal Bank stamps: very clever design to get the bank note/stamp combo and good use of AM humour in the sports. The others are all wonderful too, but these were particular favourites.

If you put a Stronginthearm crossbow to my head, I would pick the Hogswatch mini-sheet as my overall favourite, but you'd have to search my pockets for the others!

Looking forward to what's to come in the Year of the Backwards Facing Artichoke
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Oook!

The Royal Bank stamps are winners, since they remind me so much of the rich colors Moist thought bank-notes should have.

My other major favorite is the One Farthing Trilithon - took me back to both The Light Fantastic & Soul Music with it's combination of both of Llamedos' major exports :sunny:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm going to be different and go for the Cruel and Unusual set. It's nice to see other locations featured. Of those, I have to say the Wyrmberg sport- I've always loved dragons.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby steeljam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:38 am

You can review all the stamps in the Stamp Gallery
A very difficult to decide; this year has been superb for stamps. The subjects and quality have been top rate.
I like the Cruel and Unusual Geography set but I think the Alchemists' Guild stamps benefitted from the earlier work.

1. Alchemists' Guild
2. Cruel and Unusual Geography set (Cori Celesti)
3. Assassins' Guild
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Dec 10, 2016 01:07 pm

steeljam wrote:You can review all the stamps in the Stamp Gallery

Do you realise there is no way from that page to anywhere else?
All the galleries are the same so I suppose that is intentional, but it is a bit of a pain when not opened from the catalogue site.
Mind you if you do open it from the catalogue each one overwrites the previous so using it to compare stamps requires extra work.
Can you put the year as well as the name on these pages, I can never remember which year is which.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby steeljam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 05:59 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:

All the galleries are the same so I suppose that is intentional, but it is a bit of a pain when not opened from the catalogue site.
Mind you if you do open it from the catalogue each one overwrites the previous so using it to compare stamps requires extra work.
Can you put the year as well as the name on these pages, I can never remember which year is which.

I can amend the code so each page opens and is not overwritten.
Yes, I can add the year.
Now updated as per your requests
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:18 am

I have to give my vote to the Royal Bank of Ankh Morpork stamps. But it was a difficult choice to make, as the competition was fierce!

The one that I'm curious about is the round Schmaltzburg fifth elephant in olive green... no perforations or value are visible. Of course it might be a postmark... It appears on the banner for regional issues on the new shop site.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Muba » Sun Dec 11, 2016 09:22 am

Murgatroyd wrote:The one that I'm curious about is the round Schmaltzburg fifth elephant in olive green... no perforations or value are visible. Of course it might be a postmark... It appears on the banner for regional issues on the new shop site.

It is a postmark. The very top is over the margin of the Ohulan Cutash stamp, and is probably over the Krull stamp too, but the black of that makes it impossible to see.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Murgatroyd » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks. I didn't spot the overhang...
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Frank the Younger » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:29 am

steeljam wrote:
Frank the Younger wrote:

I can amend the code so each page opens and is not overwritten.
Yes, I can add the year.
Now updated as per your requests

Thanks
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby phalarope » Wed Dec 14, 2016 03:05 am

As usual, I find myself gravitating towards the various incarnations of the Penny Patrician. I forced myself to look beyond these perennial favorites, and set aside the annual definitives which are always well done, and have come to the conclusion that, for me, the stamp has to resemble, well, a stamp that would be used on mail from a real place (for a given value of real). I like the Cruel and Unusual Geography issue a lot.The appearance of engraving in the vignettes is very well done, and the border elements are classic. The crucial elements of the Patrician's silhouette and AMPO make it clear that this is a postage stamp from the Big Wahoonie. The Soul Cake Duck issue is similarly appealing. The Railway Carriage issue came close, but is missing the Patrician's silhouette. I have illustrated the GB trains issue that could have been the inspiration for these stamps on their album page. Finally, the Llamedos issue has lovely "engraving" and a balanced design emphasizing the country's greatest natural wonder (rain, :wink: ) with an appropriate color scheme and interesting font. I can imagine it's use on a direct mail advert from a Llamedosian bed-and-breakfast. :lol: The winner does have to be the CAUG issue, though, probably because Ian let me handle a sheet before it was released to the wild. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby the_apprentice » Wed Dec 14, 2016 07:09 pm

Thank you all for taking the time. It's good to hear that we're on the right tracks, mostly. I'm keen to continue with the traditional engraving style for a bit, I'd like to bring Peter Dennis back for a few issues, David Wyatt has already agreed to do a couple... I'm looking at continuing with a few more covers, too... when they're warranted. I have plans, pending approval, for some more interesting challenges for our perforating pixie. Despite himself he quite enjoyed the diamonds. We're also running on schedule for release of the definitives in early January, which makes a nice change! I can confirm that the definitives are continuing the pattern of re-design one year then re-colour the next, making the Year of the Backwards Facing Artichoke a re-colour year. In a small break from tradition I'm also including the 50p Cabbage Field in the first issue of the year because frankly, there are a lot of new stamps already in the bag that I'd like to share with you, and I am impatient.
Discworld Stamps continue to amaze us with their popularity. We never ever want to take this for granted. I don't want to get too formulaic, equally, I don't want to stop producing what people want... so here's the deal; we're going to continue making it up as we go along and pretending that we have some grand master plan. If you'd all continue to play along, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you all for the feedback. I hope you all get what you want for Hogswatch, cos you've all been very good boys and girls and dwarfs and trolls and....
the_apprentice

Next

Return to The Stamps