Discworld

THANK YOOOOOU!!!!!

General Stamp discussion.

THANK YOOOOOU!!!!!

Postby the_apprentice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 06:46 pm

This is just a quick note to thank you all for another stonking year. It's been a year of new stampy places, new stampy themes, new stampy shapes and we've welcomed a lot of new stampy collectors from all over Roundworld!
As we prepare the shop for... ahem... scheduled maintenance (glug glug hic).. we'd love to hear your take on the highlights of flately in the Year of Backwards Facing Artichoke (http://www.discworldstampcatalogue.co.uk/shs0413.php to jog yer memory). It really helps me keep the collection focused to hear what you lovely folk enjoy seeing in your LBEs.

Also, a little bit of housekeeping...

-We're looking forward to releasing the newly designed definitives as early as we can manage in The Year of the Justifiably Defensive Lobster, we're very much hoping to have them out before the end of January (perforation pending).

-We MAY have one little anomaly to vex the purist classifiers (looking at you Discworld Stamp Catalogue team). Whilst dusting Emporium founder, Bernard, we discovered a carefully wrapped package. It turns out that whilst in a stamp-designing fervour I had accidentally printed and subsequently forgotten another stamp issue. This means that we may have one issue released next year that was actually created (and has emblazoned upon its selvage) The Year of The Backwards Facing Artichoke! If you're happy for a stamp printed in the YOTBFA to be released in the YOTJDL, we'll release it early in the year, if not I am sure we can ditch it or Tsort out a reprint. Thoughts welcomed... I don't know if it's more authentic to release as intended or to fix the 'error', I don't want to release two versions into general circulation as I think it's a bit of a mean thing to do.

-GCTS - new items are planned, one option would be to turn the above into a GCTS item, if you lot would find that a suitably curious item?

-As mentioned very briefly, earlier in the year we had a mix up with the production of the Thieves' Guild issues in that they were printed from a low resolution file. The result was a slightly pixelated finish. Images of these are on their way to a certain Discworld Stamp Catalogue for your perusal. This issue was only discovered AFTER the LBEs were filled (and subsequently UNFILLED and REFILLED... oh how we laughed!). I am fairly bloomin' certain that I got them all, IF however you have a slightly fuzzy thief, this may explain the issue.

I'd also like to apologise for our absence here on the forum, we've been incredibly busy this year and communication hasn't been amazing. I will do my best to keep you all abreast of events. I know that the forums are relatively quiet these days, as the forum platform has largely given way to Facebook, but it's a great place to keep in touch with our core collectors and your input is very much appreciated.

All that remains is to thank you again, your continuing support, kind messages and very kind patronage keeps us all sane and in drink. We love Discworld stamps and the people it attracts. Without you lot we'd all have to have proper jobs. So with all sincerity, thank you. HAPPY HOGSWATCH!
the_apprentice

Re: THANK YOOOOOU!!!!!

Postby Muba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 09:07 pm

Thanks for such a short round up for the year Ian :wink:

I think the highlight of the year has to be the UU 1p octagonal sheet. Very adventurous. Whilst something like this every year would seem to be a great thing, you have set a rather high bar there. Matching that would be difficult enough, but if you did then that would make those UUS not so special! Ration your originality.
We've had such a range of styles this year, and many stand out. The Octarines, Prid of AM, Swalk and Lancre stamps provided us not only with some great looking stamps, but also some novel styles.

We've had the wrong year on the sheets before and not so long ago. Remember the 1p Hogswatch Delivery stamps that appeared in January. As long as the delay in release is known about I cannot see the need for a reprint.
Anyway we a due for a full blown GCTS set and I wouldn't want to distract you from that.

Checked my Thieves and drat drat triple drat! No digitised prints in my stock book.

I am looking forward to another year with stamps from all over the Disc, each one reflecting something in the novels in their own way.

Happy seasonal glugging to you all
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 09:15 pm

the_apprentice wrote:We MAY have one little anomaly to vex the purist classifiers (looking at you Discworld Stamp Catalogue team). Whilst dusting Emporium founder, Bernard, we discovered a carefully wrapped package. It turns out that whilst in a stamp-designing fervour I had accidentally printed and subsequently forgotten another stamp issue. This means that we may have one issue released next year that was actually created (and has emblazoned upon its selvage) The Year of The Backwards Facing Artichoke! If you're happy for a stamp printed in the YOTBFA to be released in the YOTJDL, we'll release it early in the year, if not I am sure we can ditch it or Tsort out a reprint. Thoughts welcomed... I don't know if it's more authentic to release as intended or to fix the 'error', I don't want to release two versions into general circulation as I think it's a bit of a mean thing to do.

I think I speak for many collectors in saying Do both :)
Seriously, we have already had an issue where the creation and issue years were different, so I don't see it as a problem. The catalogue is based on year of issue.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Thu Dec 14, 2017 01:53 am

the_apprentice wrote:-We MAY have one little anomaly to vex the purist classifiers (looking at you Discworld Stamp Catalogue team). Whilst dusting Emporium founder, Bernard, we discovered a carefully wrapped package. It turns out that whilst in a stamp-designing fervour I had accidentally printed and subsequently forgotten another stamp issue. This means that we may have one issue released next year that was actually created (and has emblazoned upon its selvage) The Year of The Backwards Facing Artichoke! If you're happy for a stamp printed in the YOTBFA to be released in the YOTJDL, we'll release it early in the year, if not I am sure we can ditch it or Tsort out a reprint. Thoughts welcomed... I don't know if it's more authentic to release as intended or to fix the 'error', I don't want to release two versions into general circulation as I think it's a bit of a mean thing to do.

From a "purist's" point of view - the putative error is in the selvedge, not on the stamps themselves. If you release both with the same design and coloration, the only way to distinguish an error is on a stamp with a selvedge piece that has part of the actual year name on it, and all of the central stamps will be indistinguishable, unless there are subtle differences that arise from different print runs (shading and all that jazz). The number of identifiable stamps will be far fewer than the number of stamps in a pane, so much more along the nature of a planned sport than an error or variety. The completists among us will certainly hyperventilate, and perhaps worse, trying to ensure we get an identifiable example of each one. That being said, we've endured, and perhaps even enjoyed, plenty of other variety shenanigans in the far and recent past, and for some of us that's what makes this daft hobby so interesting and compelling anyway.

In the Roundworld there are plenty of stamps with dates that don't match the year of release (I'm pretty sure the USA has several, with the date on the stamp representing the year it was designed or copyrighted by the USPS).

As for fixing the error vs releasing the original, Google USPS Dag Hammarskjold and Bill Picket stamp error. There's no good answer. *Cough, what would Terry do?

Whatever you do, don't ditch it - you've spent design time and we want to see the fruits of your labors. Better late than never. :D

And have a scumble or several on me. :wink: :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Return to The Stamps