Discworld

Sheets vs GCTS + GCTS Catalogue?

General Stamp discussion.

Sheets vs GCTS + GCTS Catalogue?

Postby merciersj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 05:58 pm

So I am a bit new to this and I just got some full sheets that I ordered from the shop (so pretty!). I was wondering from a collection perspective if it is better to keep the full sheets or to take one sport and one common from the sheet and trade the rest into the GCTS? Is there a list of what is available to get through GCTS right now? I saw the list of the stamp trade-in ratios but I didn't see the catalogue of what you can purchase with your GCTS stamps.

Thank you in advance for the help!
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods.
They have not forgotten this.
:meow:
merciersj

Re: Sheets vs GCTS + GCTS Catalogue?

Postby phalarope » Sat Sep 29, 2018 06:17 pm

merciersj wrote:So I am a bit new to this and I just got some full sheets that I ordered from the shop (so pretty!). I was wondering from a collection perspective if it is better to keep the full sheets or to take one sport and one common from the sheet and trade the rest into the GCTS? Is there a list of what is available to get through GCTS right now? I saw the list of the stamp trade-in ratios but I didn't see the catalogue of what you can purchase with your GCTS stamps.

Nooooooo!

OK, I was away for a moment, but I'm back now.

Personally, I wouldn't break a sheet for that reason, but on the other hand I wind up with lots of duplicates from multiple Season Tickets, so have plenty to trade in for GCTS. I only buy a sheet to break if I haven't gotten the sport by the time the stamp has been marked for withdrawal (end of the year for definitives and Hogswatch).

You can find what's on offer for GCTS on the Emporium site under the Stamps menu (Green Cabbage Trading Stamps) at the lower right of the drop-down menu. At present there are 3 items on offer: 2 sheets and the Golden Cabbage.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Frank the Younger » Sat Sep 29, 2018 06:49 pm

merciersj wrote:So I am a bit new to this and I just got some full sheets that I ordered from the shop (so pretty!). I was wondering from a collection perspective if it is better to keep the full sheets or to take one sport and one common from the sheet and trade the rest into the GCTS? Is there a list of what is available to get through GCTS right now? I saw the list of the stamp trade-in ratios but I didn't see the catalogue of what you can purchase with your GCTS stamps.

Apart from what phalarope said there is also the question 'can you afford to collect sheets''? My first answer is no but I have always have. So really the answer is yes whatever my wife says. :-)
If you can afford to collect sheets than don't break them otherwise why not.
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby merciersj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 06:52 pm

phalarope wrote:

Nooooooo!

OK, I was away for a moment, but I'm back now.

Personally, I wouldn't break a sheet for that reason, but on the other hand I wind up with lots of duplicates from multiple Season Tickets, so have plenty to trade in for GCTS. I only buy a sheet to break if I haven't gotten the sport by the time the stamp has been marked for withdrawal (end of the year for definitives and Hogswatch).

You can find what's on offer for GCTS on the Emporium site under the Stamps menu (Green Cabbage Trading Stamps) at the lower right of the drop-down menu. At present there are 3 items on offer: 2 sheets and the Golden Cabbage.

Haha thank you for the advice. I have 3 season tickets right now so maybe I'll hold off on breaking the sheets like you suggested, seems a shame to separate them!
merciersj

Postby merciersj » Sat Sep 29, 2018 07:11 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:

Apart from what phalarope said there is also the question 'can you afford to collect sheets''? My first answer is no but I have always have. So really the answer is yes whatever my wife says. :-)
If you can afford to collect sheets than don't break them otherwise why not.

Oh this is a good point too! For giggles I added one of every sheet currently available at the store and it was almost 500 pound! I know this spans multiple years but it was still a bit of a shock to me. :shock:
merciersj

Postby steeljam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 07:56 pm

In terms of costs, you may find the article I wrote for the Stanley Howler Journal interesting.

One thing I didn't cover as it only occurred to me a few days ago is the cost of each sport.
So I did a quick and rough check which ignores multiple sports on a sheet and the triangles.
There were 264 sheets issued which had a sport: total cost of sheets £3,313.50.
I assumed the odds of pulling a sport is based on half the number of stamps on the sheet; so with a sheet of 24 stamps, you would have to buy 12 LBEs, or half number of stamps.
The 264 sheets had a total of 6,790 stamps.
Assuming that there are between 6 and 8 sports available at any time I calculate the cost of obtaining the sports would be [Cost of LBE] * [Total number of stamps] / 2 / [Number of sports available]
This comes to between £2,121 and £2,829.
If anyone has a better method of calculation I would love to see it.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Muba » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:31 pm

steeljam wrote:In terms of costs, you may find the article I wrote for the Stanley Howler Journal interesting.

One thing I didn't cover as it only occurred to me a few days ago is the cost of each sport.
So I did a quick and rough check which ignores multiple sports on a sheet and the triangles.
There were 264 sheets issued which had a sport: total cost of sheets £3,313.50.
I assumed the odds of pulling a sport is based on half the number of stamps on the sheet; so with a sheet of 24 stamps, you would have to buy 12 LBEs, or half number of stamps.
The 264 sheets had a total of 6,790 stamps.
Assuming that there are between 6 and 8 sports available at any time I calculate the cost of obtaining the sports would be [Cost of LBE] * [Total number of stamps] / 2 / [Number of sports available]
This comes to between £2,121 and £2,829.
If anyone has a better method of calculation I would love to see it.

As good as any estimate; works for me.
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby steeljam » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:32 am

I did wonder about dividing by the number of sports available as this doesn't take into account the possibility of getting the same sport more than once.
Also, it discounts the need to buy LBEs for the triangles.
All options turn out to be expensive.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Sun Sep 30, 2018 04:53 pm

Just say it costs lots. :)
Frank the Younger

Postby Muba » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:Just say it costs lots. :)

I can think of plenty of interests or activities that I can spend money on that are more nefarious, dangerous, dubious, barely legal, exposes oneself to the worst of the elements, pointless, worthless, or are just plain boring. I reckon we get value for money
You are welcome at The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook and The Discworld Stamp Collector web site which has in-depth reviews of some issues and collectable items.
Muba

Postby Frank the Younger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 09:58 am

Muba wrote:

I can think of plenty of interests or activities that I can spend money on that are more nefarious, dangerous, dubious, barely legal, exposes oneself to the worst of the elements, pointless, worthless, or are just plain boring. I reckon we get value for money

Well there is Bernard, who is not boring but I'm not sure about the rest. :D
Frank the Younger

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:40 am

Frank the Younger wrote:
Muba wrote:

Well there is Bernard, who is not boring but I'm not sure about the rest. :D
:lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Oct 02, 2018 02:30 pm

Oook!

I personally love the sheets for the borders - they sometimes sneak some fun little jokes there, accidental or deliberate*. And I feel that there's just something so... complete-ist about having a whole sheet whenever possible. Which is why I started that way. And also why I'm running out of room and get excited about 4-ring binders :lol:

* Did we ever establish if the "BONER" border of the League of Temperance stamp was deliberate, or happy happenstance?
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Return to The Stamps