Discworld

A couple more beginner questions

General Stamp discussion.

A couple more beginner questions

Postby Mrs.Popty » Fri May 01, 2020 01:36 pm

Okay, newbie here again! I'm finally getting around to sorting out the stamps I have. I've bought a lovely new album to put them in and am getting to grips with cutting big Hawid stamp mounts. My first attempt didn't come out too good, the mount separated along the ends that were supposed to be stuck together! I've bought a couple of nice thin pens for page headings and now I can begin! :bounce: But I have a couple of questions.

What do you do with the gorgeous stamps that the lovely Bernard Pearson sticks on the envelopes for your order? Do you cut them off, soak them, and put them in the album with hinges? (BTW, it tickles me that Bernard's surname is Pearson, as that's my maiden name, as Nobby Nobbs would say. No relation though, I don't have an Uncle Bernard!)

And, what do you do with spares? Apart from being very kind and sending them to complete beginners. Oh and I have a supplementary question: Some of the stamps in the catalogue have "widely available" . But where, if not from the Emporium?

Thank you so much! I got my second LBE and loved it! (I'm also starting to collect roundworld stamps again, of chickens!)

Don't forget to eat cake. I'm sure it keeps the virus away. :wink:
Magrat, make the tea!
Occupation: Nosy parker, gossiper, leaner on garden walls, witch.
Interests: salacious gossip.
Mrs.Popty

Re: A couple more beginner questions

Postby Squigglyx » Fri May 01, 2020 02:19 pm

Mrs.Popty wrote:What do you do with the gorgeous stamps that the lovely Bernard Pearson sticks on the envelopes for your order? Do you cut them off, soak them, and put them in the album with hinges? (BTW, it tickles me that Bernard's surname is Pearson, as that's my maiden name, as Nobby Nobbs would say. No relation though, I don't have an Uncle Bernard!)

I personally don't do anything with them.Initially I used to keep the envelopes, but it soon got to the stage I would either have to kick my son out or buy a bigger house to keep EVERYTHING.

Mrs.Popty wrote:And, what do you do with spares? Apart from being very kind and sending them to complete beginners.
If your spares are from recent LBEs they can be traded in for Green Cabbage Trading Stamps, these in turn can be traded in for 'other' stampy paraphernalia, such as limited edition sheets etc. you can find all the details on the web page under Stamps > Green Cabbage Trading Stamps ( https://www.discworldemporium.com/conte ... ing-stamps)

Mrs.Popty wrote:Oh and I have a supplementary question: Some of the stamps in the catalogue have "widely available" . But where, if not from the Emporium?

Widely available means that they were distributed in LBEs during their 'lifetime'. As opposed to limited editions which come out occasionally

Hope this helps and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I've got anything wrong :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby phalarope » Fri May 01, 2020 03:59 pm

This is what I do, which is influenced by being a proper Roundworld philatelist. Your results (and interests, and desires, and willingness to store stuff a la Steeljam) may vary.

Stamps on post from the Emporium: These entire envelopes are what philatelists call "Modern Postal History." They are of RW philatelic interest because they are cinderellas on 'legitimate' post. The cancels can potentially date when the Discworld stamps were readily available (although some people decorate their envelopes in all sorts of ways with all sorts of stamps, whenever the mood strikes them....). So - I never soak DW stamps off of envelopes. There is very little Flatelist interest in franked stamps at present, whether franked on the Disc or by RW postal systems. And because I collect other forms of postal history, I just expanded to include DW stamps on covers (the fancy word for envelope). Some of my covers have worked their way into my philatelic exhibits.

Spares: GCTS (Green Cabbage Trading Stamps) if your habit allows you to accumulate sufficient spares. Gifting to others. Trading, using the Forum. Flatelist and fan envelope exchanges via the Forum. Put them on your RW mail to enliven your correspondence. The Bay of E as a last resort.

Widely available: For a given value of widely. :lol: And available. :lol: :lol: But seriously, what Steeljam said. Please feel free to reach out to people who post on the Trading thread. I think all of us are willing to help a serious newbie acquire commons at no or minimal cost; I'm even happy if you send a huge want list so I can target what you really need. And if somebody says no, well all you've lost is the time it took to ask.

Another forum you might want to check out is the Cinderella Stamps Forum. It's run by one of the original DW stamp designers and covers tons of stuff besides DW, but there are serious DW collectors there, as well. Including Muba from this forum, who's a mine of information
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Darren » Fri May 01, 2020 06:09 pm

Mrs.Popty wrote:No relation though, I don't have an Uncle Bernard!)

Umm, everyone here has an honorary (and occasionally dishonourary, or at least disreputable) Uncle Bernard ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Return to The Stamps