Discworld

How do you keep track of your stamps?

General Stamp discussion.

How do you keep track of your stamps?

Postby ehangeto4 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 05:05 am

Hi! Being fairly new to this lark, I'm wondering how best to keep track of the small mountain of stamps I seem to be accumulating. I've got the catalog pdfs and I go through them and delete out the stamps I have (although I'm now two LBEs behind, oops).

How do you organise them? By year? By location?

Wondering about stamp albums too. I'd love one with the AMPO stamp on the front.
ehangeto4

Re: How do you keep track of your stamps?

Postby steeljam » Mon Sep 21, 2020 07:11 pm

Have you visited the Discworld Stamp Catalogue?
There is a basic set of pages that can be used as an album (Under Album link on the lefthand side.
You can also use Galleries and Themes to view alternative ways to organise the stamps.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Mon Sep 21, 2020 07:23 pm

In addition to the basic album pages found on the Catalog website, Kelshandra has made a long series of Stamp Yearbooks, which are excellent as albums. I personally began with the original Stanley Howler album pages, which I add to myself now. Most people (for a given value of most) probably store/arrange them in SH number order, which is roughly chronological. To keep track of what I have and need, I keep an Excel spreadsheet originally created by Doc Brown, that I add to as new releases come out. When I create exhibits, I make new display pages and pull the stamps temporarily from their original album pages. For example, my ever-expanding exhibit of Penny Patrician stamps. Steeljam's Themes in the catalog are potential display/exhibit topics.

Mods, is it worth creating links to some of the older album resources, and pinning them at the top of the Stamps thread?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Frank the Younger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am

I use A5 stock books with one of each stamp in issue order. with sports or specials of that stamp on the same line. I do leave blank lines so you can actually see the stamps.
I separate out Discworld and Wincanton stamps in different coloured A5 stock books but the latter are few and far between lately.
I also use A5 stock books, a different colour, to keep any spare sports also in issue order but without any blank lines.
I also have set of trays, from B&Q I think, designed for screws where I keep spare commons of the current stamps.
I have an A4 stock book for commons that are no longer available but only a few of each as the rest are sent back as part of the Green Cabbage Trading Stamps (GCTS) scheme.

Originally I arranged the stamps by type but ran out of room on the definitives and eventually some others.
Grandad 4 Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby phalarope » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 pm

Links to the original Stanley Howler pages can be found here.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 am

Once a year is done, I make a stamp album (here's the link to last year's one- word document I print out, fold and bind into a hard cover book). I aim to have one of each stamp* common and sport.
Whie waiting for the next album, I have a folder to keep them in safe (it's just black pages with cellophane pockets for 'normal' stamp collectors). The excess are in a tool box with lots of drawers that can be divided for 'live' stamps that I send of for Green cabbage stamps once or twice a year. After that the system breaks down but I do like to fill old LBE with old stamps and give them away at Australian discworld conventions if I don't have a crafty use for them.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Savage » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:10 am

A subscription to Linn's Stamp News inclues a weekly newspaper and a monthly magazine which shows pictures of all recent new issues. For topical collectors, the pictures would allow you to identify new stamps you might want to buy.

Beyond this, buying new (or fairly new) stamp catalogues is another way to do the same thing. But that will be very expensive. Joining a stamp society for your area of interest might be another way.
Savage

Return to The Stamps