Discworld

Any reason I shouldn't use glue?

General Stamp discussion.

Any reason I shouldn't use glue?

Postby DrWPJT » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 pm

No not for the stamps, I'm not THAT stupid! Any way, now I have your attention...

I stumbled upon my old collection last week and quickly got sucked back into this glorious hobby. Since past me had gone to the expense of buying an album and a range of sized mounts I figured it was high time I finally did something with them and was slowly working through getting each year's definitives on a page, (while having an existential crisis on how to arrange the rest) when I discovered a complete set of 'thtitched up by igorth' stamps.

'Hurrah', I thought. 'These clearly go together and I don't have to worry about whether or not to leave gaps for things I don't have, I can do another page'.

EXCEPT, unlike the definitives, these stamps refuse to sit in nice orderly rows. They insist on something with more visual flare. Eventually we found something both they and I were happy with; adding the empty LBE to the centre of the page and arranging the stamps at a haphazard angle all around it. Only... How am I meant to add the LBE to the page?

Currently my tallest mount is 100mm and the LBE doesn't quite fit inside, plus I think it actually looks better on the page without the black border of a mount. Can I just use glue? I'm adding paper to paper so it'll stick, I'm not planning on ever moving it and I have a duplicate LBE if I ever decide 'actually I did want that for something else'.

Apart from the whole: 'not being able to remove it without damaging it', is there any reason why I should not add glue to something being contained in the same album as my stamps? (And if I really shouldn't, have you any suggestions of what to use instead?)

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering) my long winded question.
DrWPJT

Re: Any reason I shouldn't use glue?

Postby phalarope » Tue Nov 17, 2020 01:15 am

Ack, no glue! (Yes, you got my attention, all right! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I use clear photo corners for things that mounts don't readily fit. I also place all of my pages into page protectors in case things slip.

Another option would be to put it in a clear plastic sleeve and glue the sleeve on the page, but that's going to look inelegant.

You need a 109mm mount. I have some in black, and will happily send you a full strip (260mm, I think) or a piece trimmed to fit an LBE. PM me your snail mail addy if you would like one of those options.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby DrWPJT » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of photo corners. Another stupid question: I know it says 'clear' so they can obviously be seen through, but does it blend in or can you clearly see the difference between the part that's in the corner and the rest of the LBE/other item? I don't really want a harsh diagonal line (well, 4 lines) across the item. Also are they a similar thickness to stamp mounts?

At the moment I'm leaning towards: if they're thin and invisible, use photo corners. If there's an obvious visible line between what is and isn't in the corner, or if it's chunky, then stick to the uniformity of mounts.

Thanks for the offer to send a strip, I really appreciate it, especially since I'm not planning on regularly including LBEs in my album. However I'm in the uk and it looks like you're in the US so postage might be a bit much.

Thanks again.
DrWPJT

Postby phalarope » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:26 am

For something small like an LBE, I use small corners that are cut-out - V-shaped. You can see them, but IMHO they don't detract from the display. I avoid the large triangular ones for the reasons you mention.

Seriously - it would cost $1.20 to send a piece of mount. I can put it in a Hogswatch card. :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 am

Oook!

I have a rather unconventional* suggestion - if you have access to a scanner & color printer - print out a scan of the LBE and glue/mount that to your page. It's less bulky, so less likely to weigh down the page. Although I would worry about the color damage over time from the glue - but that would be true of gluing an LBE**.

It's what I did when I first started collecting LBEs - put a print of all the ones I was missing in their places in my album, so that if/when I finally got the missing LBEs their place was ready and waiting and I didn't have to shuffle things around.

* Some might even say Abominable
** I've noticed that the envelopes sometimes look darker where the glue has seeped through
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby steeljam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am

I use these for my LBEs
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby DrWPJT » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I have decided to give clear photo corners a go.

Steeljam - That looks pretty good if I decide to properly sort out my LBEs one day. For now I'm just using the occasional duplicate to spice up a stamp album page.

Librarians Apprentice - It was the glue damaging anything else that I was concerned about. I don't think I'm interested enough in collecting LBEs (at the moment at least) to worry about making placeholders for missing LBEs but I might adapt the technique for stamps. When I reach a point where I only need one or two more stamps to complete a page but they're proving elusive, I can print a fake to allow me to visualise what the full collection would look like and allow me to set out the page and mount the others in their correct place rather than be doomed to remain in envelopes until I hunt down the rest of the collection.

Phalarope - Thanks again for the offer, I really appreciate it. I decided against the large sized stamp mount though. While I love the black borders on the stamps, for some reason my brain isn't keen on the idea of a border round the LBE. That and, while originally I planned on this page being a one off, I'm considering doing similar with a few other pages/LBEs. Mainly when a stamp doesn't really go with anything else from the year but looks empty on a page by itself, or possibly for events like Hogswatch and the Glorious 25th.
DrWPJT

Return to The Stamps