Discworld

pricing stamp collection

General Stamp discussion.

pricing stamp collection

Postby andy20066 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 03:32 pm

i have a book which is nearly full of discworld stamps and in the front and back pages are the lbe and flyers plus 3 envelopes and 3 lbe and 2 flyers that are not stuck in. the stamps are from 2013 hogswatch 2014 hogswatch season 2015 9 lbe and the first 5 lbe from 2016. can anyone tell me how much this set would be worth please
andy20066

Re: pricing stamp collection

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Dec 14, 2020 04:49 pm

Hello. It's very difficult to estimate the price you might reasonably expect the collection to reach without knowing more about which stamps you actually have in your book. I noted the phrase "Not stuck in". Does this imply that the stamps you have in the book are actually gummed into the book?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Dec 14, 2020 05:23 pm

That's good news. You might find some interest here, but mostly people here are after items they are missing from their collections. A new collector seems like your best hope. Sadly I'm not able to help you with any reliable estimate of their worth.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby phalarope » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:17 pm

With the caveat that I'm not a dealer and can't give you an accurate value, I can make a few suggestions.

These stamps are not terribly old, but I believe all are retired. I will assume you have checked and there are no sports. Murgatroyd is correct - they will appeal more to beginners than the many of us who are long-standing collectors. Beginners do show up here from time to time, though. You can try placing a post in the Trading thread, particularly if you can be patient for a response. You might try posting on the Cinderella Stamps Forum as well.

At minimum you can ask for 5 GBP for an LBE complete with stamps. This is what they sold for originally from the Shop. If the stamps are out of the LBEs, you may be able to reconstruct reasonable mixtures by looking at issue dates using Steeljam's catalogue. An LBE holds about 12 stamps. If they are all commons, you could ask for a bit more for them in LBE form, because they are all retired - maybe 7-8 GBP each.

It's much harder to sell commons as single stamps, particularly if you use the bay of E. The fees eat up your profits.

Hope this helps
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Return to The Stamps