Discworld

Happy Thanksgiving!

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby phalarope » Thu Nov 23, 2017 01:45 pm

Particularly to we Americans. I'm thankful for my entire Discworld family; you're the tops! :sunny: :sunny:

Dinner with Mate is roast duck, curried sweet potatoes, sprouts roasted in mustard, pumpkin pie. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Postby hansolobiker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 02:24 pm

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR TRANS-ATLANTIC BUDDIES! :thumbl: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :thumbr: :)
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby Basement » Thu Nov 23, 2017 03:02 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 06:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving! :D
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Nov 24, 2017 05:26 pm

Ooo! duck! Well played.

MIL made a fabulous dinner, traditional turkey with mashed potatoes, dressing, and gravy, and we talked for a long time and enjoyed each other's company.

Then my husband took my son to a GWAR show, and my daughter and I braved the mall to go see "Wonder" and cried through the whole thing. It was fun crying, though, because it's a movie about people working through their problems. But I think next year I'll not go on Thanksgiving night. I couldn't believe how crowded the mall was. Movies were always busy when I was a kid, but the mall shops were all OPEN which is just wrong in my mind. It might as well have been black Friday last night.

Today zero shopping, time to hang the Christmas lights.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am

Instead of shopping on Black Friday (boo hiss to materialism) I drove to Ocean City to try for a mega-rare bird in Maryland, fork-tailed flycatcher. Last one found in the state was 2010. It is supposed to be in Mexico / Central America. Most fork-tailed flycatchers reaching here probably come from southern South America: long-distance migrants that have made major errors in navigation. Got it within 5 minutes. :D Lovely thing, hawking bugs and perching on a chain-link fence for extended views, and photo-ops for those equipped with cameras. (I estimate about $50,000 worth of camera gear in a 10-square meter area, above and beyond the usual high-end optics.) The photo in the link is not mine, but it is the bird in question. Number 335 in Maryland and 494 in the USA (counting down to the 500 Club, slooooowly)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Question about the US list - would that include Alaska? I'm sure an environment so different from the lower states would have dozens of new birds to you. Even if they were just different plumage (ie breeding not wintering colours).

And do those UK birds some Shakespear nut decided to release count? (he wanted every species mentioned by Shakespear to be present I think in Central Park but the starlings especially didn't stay put)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Sat Nov 25, 2017 09:36 pm

Sandra: The American Birding Association, among others, defines North American Birding areas. For the US, one can list for the USA, which now includes Hawaii as well as Alaska, or Lower 48, which excludes Hawaii and Alaska. I use the areas defined by my listing software, and my "nation" area is the entire USA. This does allow me to count the birds I've seen in Hawaii, but I've never been to Alaska and am not sure I'll ever make it there. One of the effects of including Alaska birds in an area is that the state includes the Aleutian Islands, which attract a huge number of Eurasian vagrants. The island of Attu is on every US birder's wish list, but getting there, and the conditions once you arrive, are "difficult", to put it charitably. One authority lists 1146 species on the USA checklist, including many accidental (vagrant), 65 introduced, and 29 extinct species. Most US birders consider 500 to be the threshold for bragging rights, 700 to indicate a heavy hitter, and 800 for a Name.

With apologies to Monty Python "the plumage don't enter into it." Only different species count. Although it would be nice to see a Lapland Longspur or Snow Bunting in breeding plumage rather than the usual dull winter colors I see here in Maryland.

And, yes, those pesky UK birds do count. So, while I loathe and despise starlings*, house sparrows, and rock pigeons here (they are invasive pests), they count towards my life lists. I can tell you it was a delight to see them in the UK where they belong, and enjoyed the fact that they add to my UK list (102 species :D ). I have a few vagrants on my list, and as long as the bird is alive, wild, and unrestrained (not caught in a bander's net, or similar), it counts. *Idiot who released starlings - what, did he think birds wouldn't fly...
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Return to The Kitchen Table