Discworld

Oh dear, how sad, never mind ...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind ...

Postby chrisboote » Tue Feb 13, 2018 01:04 pm

Funny how I can't find it in myself to have any sympathy for this wretch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43035474
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Re: Oh dear, how sad, never mind ...

Postby Pat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 02:09 pm

They left his head. Perhaps it could be stuffed and mounted on a shield above the hotel bar...
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 02:53 pm

Pat wrote:They left his head. Perhaps it could be stuffed and mounted on a shield above the hotel bar...
:lol: There is something very pleasingly appropriate about that.

I can't say I have the smallest smidgeon of sympathy for him or any of his ilk who meet a similar fate, but the real problem is stopping the demand from the exotic pet industry and the bloody stupid 'traditional' medicine industry - makes my blood boil at the idiocy of driving endangered species to extinction for the equivalent of snake-oil potions

By the way, is "Oh dear, how sad, never mind" from It Ain't Half Hot Mum? I've got vague memories from very early childhood of a Welsh man with a spikey moustache, shouting at half-naked men looking sweaty
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Tue Feb 13, 2018 05:25 pm

Grace Speaker wrote: I've got vague memories from very early childhood of ... half-naked men looking sweaty

Im saying nothing...

Yes, that was a Windsor Davies, dripping with no sympathy, line to Melvyn Hayes, upon finding the latter was still in a duck costume, knickerless, while being sent 'up jungle'
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 06:29 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote: I've got vague memories from very early childhood of ... half-naked men looking sweaty

Im saying nothing...
:shock: :lol: :oops: selective bit of editing you've done there . . . and that was last Tuesday, not early childhood :wink:

chrisboote wrote:Yes, that was a Windsor Davies, dripping with no sympathy, line to Melvyn Hayes, upon finding the latter was still in a duck costume, knickerless, while being sent 'up jungle'
Windsor Davies - that was him! Couldn't remember his name, just the moustache and lots of shouting - "SHUT UP!!!" mainly.

Haven't thought about that show in years, but have vague memories of everyone in our house finding this show hilarious in the early 80's. I get that it's far too non-PC to be shown again on TV these days, but I wonder if it's available on DVD . . .
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Tue Feb 13, 2018 06:44 pm

i think it inspired one of my favourite lines: Oh dear, what a pity, never mind. I try to deliver it with no empathy at all, saved specially for those who have deserved it.

I have seen it on DVD, but it's one you have to look for, it definitely wouldn't pass any PC check in this century (considering the millennials are complaining about the un-PC jokes/situations in Friends...)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 07:39 pm

Sandra wrote:I have seen it on DVD, but it's one you have to look for, it definitely wouldn't pass any PC check in this century (considering the millennials are complaining about the un-PC jokes/situations in Friends...)
Wait, what? What have the tender snowflakes got to complain about with Friends . . . well now I come to think of it, there's only about 2 non-white people in it in 10 years, but apart from that, what are they whining about?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 13, 2018 08:21 pm

Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 08:31 pm

Darren wrote:It's on Amazon for fifteen quid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aint-Half-Hot- ... lf+hot+mum
Much obliged, sir - the box set is in the basket :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby I.B.Igor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 07:28 am

If you go hunting lions, the lions are hunting you! I think this poacher got what he deserved. :meow:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Basement » Wed Feb 14, 2018 09:46 am

I.B.Igor wrote:If you go hunting lions, the lions are hunting you! I think this poacher got what he deserved. :meow:

Hell to the smegging yeah!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Return to The Kitchen Table