Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Alan » Fri May 24, 2019 01:04 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Alan wrote:
phalarope wrote:Spent Easter Sunday inna kayak uppa creek, listening to the birdies and watching the turtles and an otter. Beat church.

inna kayak uppa creek sounds like an address that would make the sorting office grind to a halt while they worked out who to send it to :lol:

"Inna kayak uppa creek" is a great name for a band :lol:

:lol:
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Catch-up » Fri May 24, 2019 07:00 pm

It's been a quiet day and I'm loving it. I'm trying to pretend that Ava didn't just finish high school. I joined this forum when she was four!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Squigglyx » Fri May 24, 2019 08:29 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Alan wrote:
phalarope wrote:Spent Easter Sunday inna kayak uppa creek, listening to the birdies and watching the turtles and an otter. Beat church.

inna kayak uppa creek sounds like an address that would make the sorting office grind to a halt while they worked out who to send it to :lol:

or a house !
Squigglyx

Postby Sandra » Sat May 25, 2019 10:32 am

Squigglyx wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:

Don't loose your paddle - especially if things start getting a bit Anhk-like!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Fri Jul 19, 2019 01:28 am

Sooooo . . . . .got home from NADWCon Tuesday night, fairly shattered after 5 hour flight followed by 1 hour drive, while battling con crud (massive sore throat). Walked in the door about 9:45 pm. Unpacked, mainly to show off treasures and to make sure nothing got forgotten in luggage nooks and crannies. Faced 2-foot high mountain of mail, mostly packages with books and DVDs (yay) but also junk, bills, and business (yuck). Ran out of steam and collapsed before reaching the bottom. Crashed to bed around 11. Arose Wednesday and went to work, urgent care mid-day because I couldn't cope with throat - non-specific pharyngitis - such a helpful diagnosis, grrrrr, and finally home to collapse in front of dinner made by Mate. To bed, leaving stack of unopened mail because I still felt pretty crap. Arose this morning, having forgotten about mail demi-mountain, and off to work. Later, while at dinner, looked over and realized that there was still a pile remaining, including a large box. Didn't recall having ordered anything THAT size. Return address = PJSM Prints. :shock: :? Confusion and suspicion begin to tango. Also guilt. :oops: Could I have bought something ridiculous months ago and forgotten about it (been known to happen). Mate asserts no knowledge, but we have been married for 34 years . . .suspicion begins to lead in the dance, though I still have no idea of what. Set the package on the dining room table, cut away the outer wrapper, and begin to slit open the taped box, whereupon Mate gets a bit distressed and urges me to 'be careful'. Really? Really, now? So I take care to make sure the knife faces away from the contents of the box as I cut. And lo! the box opens to reveal . . . .

The Definitive Good Omens - the illustrated Occult Edition number 370. :shock: :shock: :shock: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: (where is the fainting emoji????).

Mate now sports a s**t-eating grin. I am stunned, speechless, delighted, overwhelmed. This man has always refused to independently select and buy anything Pratchetty except the original books, particularly if it involved a (any) website in the UK (our VISA cards melt and explode when asked to do business outside the USA). Only Om knows, perhaps he actually made the phone call to avoid the interwebz. It arrived the day I left for NADWCon and he's been sitting on it for over a week.

Don't wanna go to bed now, wanna drool over my new book!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Fri Jul 19, 2019 01:20 pm

Looks like he did very well...

What made me happy to be human:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-49041722

This tiger didn't stop for tea though :lol:
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jul 21, 2019 01:08 am

phalarope wrote:fairly shattered after 5 hour flight
Ha! Rank amateur :D
while battling con crud (massive sore throat)

Julia has a theory - leave the Con one day early, which I did, and avoid all PCF, which I also did
The Definitive Good Omens - the illustrated Occult Edition number 370. :shock: :shock: :shock: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: (where is the fainting emoji????).
Not jealous at all, nonono, not me! :)

Congratulations, and mate deserves extra special hugs :)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby hansolobiker » Thu Jul 25, 2019 05:29 pm

:oops: :oops: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: And so LA was just a warm-up for our summer! Warmest ever day in Yorkshire today-35.2 and warmest July day registered in Cambridge 38.1. Warmest temps in the Netherlands and Paris too. But it's not got anything to do with climate change!!!!! Yeah right! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:02 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: I did the math. 95 degrees F. You were right up there with us (though we did get above 100 with the heat index :roll: would not have noticed Cambridge MD vs Cambridge UK....). The Bay is like bathwater - 30 degrees C.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 03:52 pm

32 degrees on the shop floor yesterday,even the fans were blowing hot air!
Possibly the most uncomfortable working day I've experienced,not as bad as the furnace room where it was reportedly 110 degrees,no wonder the furnace lads spent a lot of time in the tearoom (which is air-conditioned)
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby chrisboote » Sat Jul 27, 2019 09:45 am

Alan wrote:32 degrees on the shop floor yesterday,even the fans were blowing hot air!
Possibly the most uncomfortable working day I've experienced,not as bad as the furnace room where it was reportedly 110 degrees,no wonder the furnace lads spent a lot of time in the tearoom (which is air-conditioned)

You appear to have combined C and F in your post :D :D :D
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:26 am

chrisboote wrote:
Alan wrote:32 degrees on the shop floor yesterday,even the fans were blowing hot air!

You appear to have combined C and F in your post :D :D :D[/quote
Considering my inability to deal with numbers,highly likely! :lol:
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 pm

The AC broke in my car on the way back, about an hour and a half out of town in 118 degrees :shock:

Turns out it's the compressor, so they'd have to replace the whole system, and by the way the hub wheel bearings are loose and so are the motor mounts. Nearly $3k to fix it all.

So clearly my only choice was to get a new car :D

I am enjoying it VERY much :sunny:

The funny thing is, my old car had been showing its age and we'd been planning on getting a new one sometime this year anyway. But it would only happen if the old car broke in some way as per above, because there is no such thing as a weekend where we have nothing planned and decide to kill time by car shopping. We're either scrambling about frantically or desperately trying to catch up on rest.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table