Discworld

Alternatives to Ebay?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Alternatives to Ebay?

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sat Oct 02, 2021 04:24 pm

Eeek!

As some of you know, I trade my spare stamps on the Bay of E. I've been doing so for over 10 years. But recently they've decided to force me to close my account (story to follow*).

Does anyone know of a different website where I can set up shop - where folks will actually know what DW stamps are? Because, given a choice I'd rather leave eBlighters altogether - but the few other online auction sites I've seen don't have the stamps (or worse, send me to ebay).

* The story is thus:

A few months ago I started getting notices from ebay that I need a "Payoneer" account linked to my user so I could keep selling with them. Fine. I opened an account. Aside from ebay, I have absolutely NO use for this account, and therefore don't visit it. They, in turn, never wrote to me after the first 2 or 3 days after I signed up, and even then it was just a confimation email, followed by some promotional "see how we make businesses way better" form emails.

Then, over the past month ebay start sending me notifications that my Payoneer account is missing info. So I try to log into Payoneer, only to get a notification that my account is blocked. Every attempt to contact Payoneer on their "Contact Us" page resulted in either a useless auto-response or a request to log-in - which they wouldn't let me do.

I tried asking ebay's customer service for help, and all I got were useless links to Payoneer's auto-response page or to pages that required a log-in. Some folks on Facebook were good enough to send me a link to Payoneer's FB account, and I tried sending them a PM.

Last week, Payoneer wrote back saying that the account was blocked, and that I need to make a new account. They wouldn't give me a reason why they can't just open the account, just stated that it's closed and I will need to open a new one.

So I go back to ebay, and try to find where on my ebay account I can change the Payoneer account - only to find that it's not possible. I spend half an hour on a chat with some poor Customer Service drone who kept telling me that once I connected a specific Payoneer account to my ebay account, it could not be changed. I go back to the Messenger chat with Payoneer to explain my situation and ask for help, and after a few days they get back to me, only to repeat exactly what they said before (auto-response, anyone?)

So as far as they're concerned, I have to start a new ebay account. Which means losing all my feedback (800+ Positive) and various information (aka the 100+ Buy It Now lots I have listed). So, given a choice, I don't want to have anything to do with them. Thus my question.

Help?
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Re: Alternatives to Ebay?

Postby elmstead » Sat Oct 02, 2021 07:52 pm

EEEK indeed !
So sorry to hear about your troubles.
These are probably stupid questions but ...

Have Payoneer given you any reason as to why they blocked your account or any way that you can appeal ?

Will ebay let you link your payments to your bank account instead of the blocked Payoneer account ?

I can see why you are annoyed with ebay (and Payoneer) but I haven't seen any other "worldwide platforms to use other than ebay.
If you put "Discworld stamps for sale" into google, you'll find some sites other than ebay, but when you get to the sites they just seem to be ways of searching "quickly" through listings on ebay ! So I wouldn't ditch ebay yet. They seem to have "fallen out" with Paypal and that's why they wanted you to use Payoneer.

Sorry I'm not much help.
Good Luck !
elmstead
elmstead

Postby chrisboote » Mon Oct 04, 2021 09:38 am

As it's stamps is it worth using the Stanley Howler ... er ... Gibbon's consignment selling?
https://auctions.stanleygibbons.com/general/selling
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:40 am

Oook!

Well, it's official - ebay's left hand has never even MET its right.

I got in touch through a different page on their site, and suddenly there is totally a way for me to link a different Payoneer account. Hopefully I've submitted all the right documents, and they won't lock my account for no reason without telling me again (I'm running out of email addresses...)

Thank you all for your suggestions and overall moral support. :sunny:
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Return to The Kitchen Table