Discworld

Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 27, 2010 07:55 am

Time for a new thread...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby igorbeathty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:23 am

And I'll start it off.
Good post yesterday. DVD of Morris: A life with Bells On and the Graphic Novel of Stardust by Mr Gaiman.
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
igorbeathty

Postby phalarope » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Superior post yesterday, though the main reason was it was a 4-day vacation accumulation . . . . that was SUPPOSED to be delivered on Saturday for us to find in the box Sunday upon our return - dratted lazy weekend substitute carrier, grrrr.

2 packets from #41, a couple of nice eBay lots, 4 items of desirable reading matter, a RennFest discount coupon, and only 1 bill :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby annebn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Two packets from no41 for me too- due to a 5 day vacation. One contained my season ticket 6th birthday LBE and an Adopt-A-Dragon, which was very very cute, and much bigger than I thought it would be.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby polisciguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 02:06 am

phalarope wrote:Superior post yesterday, though the main reason was it was a 4-day vacation accumulation . . . . that was SUPPOSED to be delivered on Saturday for us to find in the box Sunday upon our return - dratted lazy weekend substitute carrier, grrrr.

2 packets from #41, a couple of nice eBay lots, 4 items of desirable reading matter, a RennFest discount coupon, and only 1 bill :lol:

I love RennFest. :D The one in Annapolis, I assume? The Tolkien Society goes every year. :D

Nothing exciting over the past few days, but I did get my final confirmation for my trip to Richmond. :)
"And still when mob or Monarch lays
Too rude a hand on English ways,
The whisper wakes, the shudder plays,
Across the reeds at Runnymede."

--Rudyard Kipling, "What Say the Reeds at Runnymede"
polisciguy

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 pm

polisciguy wrote:I love RennFest. :D The one in Annapolis, I assume? The Tolkien Society goes every year. :D

That's the one :D Will you be going with the Tolkien Soc? Which day; maybe we can meet up for a steak onna stake.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby gnomi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 01:15 pm

Terrible, unappreciated post; I'm not talking about junk mail ~ 'cos that's unwritten, but the fact that my gas bill arived yesterday, which I discovered having spent a lot of money on a London tourist trip (see 'How Was Your Day')

How do Utilities always seem to know a) when you don't have a lot of readies for bills and b) what money you do have you are saving for something far more interesting...

My lecky bill will arrive soon too :(
No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock
gnomi

Postby Squigglyx » Sun Aug 01, 2010 08:25 pm

g'nomi wrote:Terrible, unappreciated post; I'm not talking about junk mail ~ 'cos that's unwritten, but the fact that my gas bill arived yesterday, which I discovered having spent a lot of money on a London tourist trip (see 'How Was Your Day')

How do Utilities always seem to know a) when you don't have a lot of readies for bills and b) what money you do have you are saving for something far more interesting...

My lecky bill will arrive soon too :(

Have you considered a payment plan by direct debit, then you know exactly how much the bill will be each month :D

Just Giving Link
Liverpool to Leeds Canal
Ride in aid of Cancer Research
Squigglyx

Postby gnomi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 02:49 pm

Call me old fashioned Squiggle, but I like to see where my moneys going, especially when it's for something I've already used :lol:

PS got my lecky bill this morning (they used to send the bills a whole week apart so my purse could recuperate.) Gonna be skint for eternity now :(
No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock
gnomi

Postby Colin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 06:01 pm

g'nomi wrote:Call me old fashioned Squiggle, but I like to see where my moneys going, especially when it's for something I've already used :lol:

PS got my lecky bill this morning (they used to send the bills a whole week apart so my purse could recuperate.) Gonna be skint for eternity now :(

I'm with Pete on this ... Direct Debits are an ideal way to manage recurring bills (like utilities) ... you know EXACTLY how much money will go out in a month, and most suppliers give worthwhile discounts for paying by DD. I'm currently with British Gas for both electricity gas, use the online tariff & submit my own meter readings ... all these give me more discounts, and they have been very quick to reduce my DD payment each quarter if I am 'overpaying' but not so quick to increase it if I go 'into the red'. Works for me!
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby Sandra » Mon Aug 02, 2010 08:16 pm

We use:

http://www.first-utility.com/

They measure gas daily and electricity every 30 mins - we can even monitor consumption on a 24 hour delay - Adrian can identify what's been turned on by the usage profile. It is cheaper than all of the main companies and even with the problems we had the customer service made everything stress free.

By knowing the cost of everything we do our bills have gone down by 30%
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Basement » Wed Aug 04, 2010 07:58 am

Wouldn't be without Direct Debit. I still get a bill every three months that details how much I've used, but I also get to budget every month to pay for it. The only direct debit I have that annoys me is my TV license which is every three months debit. I could go for every month, but that's twice as much because you pay it in a shorter time or something.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:55 pm

... er ... Jax ... the monthly TV DD isn't quite like that ... you pay six months in advance, six months in arrears, so ... at first ... the payments are 'double' the 'divide the fee by twelve' norm, but once over that hump, it's back to the one twelfth per month standard way that monthly DD's work. :)

Admittedly, the first six months can be painful ... :roll:
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Postby Basement » Wed Aug 04, 2010 01:09 pm

Cheers Colin, I couldn't quite understand how it was working, probably because all I saw was the large amounts for the first six months!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 02:04 pm

Basement wrote:Cheers Colin, I couldn't quite understand how it was working, probably because all I saw was the large amounts for the first six months!

... that was my initial reaction too! :D
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table