Discworld

Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

chrisboote wrote:While at the con, three variously sized and shaped parcels arrived

I now own eeeeeeeeeeverything wot Jack Vance ever wroted :D


Does that include all of the pseudonyms? (OK I checked Wiki so see who you were bouncing about)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby chrisboote » Wed Aug 08, 2018 06:12 pm

Sandra wrote:
chrisboote wrote:While at the con, three variously sized and shaped parcels arrived

I now own eeeeeeeeeeverything wot Jack Vance ever wroted :D


Does that include all of the pseudonyms? (OK I checked Wiki so see who you were bouncing about)

Yup
Spatterlight Press are very thorough
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5462
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Wed Aug 08, 2018 09:49 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Sandra wrote:
chrisboote wrote:While at the con, three variously sized and shaped parcels arrived

I now own eeeeeeeeeeverything wot Jack Vance ever wroted :D


Does that include all of the pseudonyms? (OK I checked Wiki so see who you were bouncing about)

Yup
Spatterlight Press are very thorough


I did not see Morreion (oversize hardcover)Underwood Miller, Green Magic Underwood Miller, or the chap books The Seventeen Virgins and The Bagful of Dreams, Underwood Miller, in their list.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Whos Wee Dug
 
Posts: 3512
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 03:13 pm

Large box of stuff I probably don't need* arrived today, so popped it in the living room while I made cup of tea. Went back to box.

Cat now sat on top of box.

Took cat off box, cat jumped back on box. Sighed, took cat off box, out of the room, into the kitchen and put cat out in back garden. Went to collect newly arrived post from door mat. Went back to box.

Cat on box again.

Took cat off box, put post on box to stop cat jumping back on box. Went in to kitchen to collect cup of tea. Went back to box.

Cat on box again, eating the post and spitting bits of envelope all over floor. Took cat off box. Cat went mental and became whirling ball of hisses and claws.

Put cat back on box.

Cat currently asleep on top of un-opened post, on top of un-opened box. With one eye open. Occasionally he flexes the claws on one outstretched paw . . .

I am on sofa drinking cold tea, plotting . . .








* result of boredom, being house-bound + internet access = unwise shopping decisions
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 03:36 pm

:lol: :lol:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
User avatar
Nonny Mouse
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 05:43 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ, USA

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby hansolobiker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 03:39 pm

Grace Speaker wrote
Cat on box again, eating the post and spitting bits of envelope all over floor. Took cat off box. Cat went mental



So that's what 'Going Postal' Means! :lol:
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
User avatar
hansolobiker
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 01:10 pm
Location: Leeds W Yorks

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 05:49 pm

hansolobiker wrote:Grace Speaker wrote
Cat on box again, eating the post and spitting bits of envelope all over floor. Took cat off box. Cat went mental



So that's what 'Going Postal' Means! :lol:

:lol:

Update on cat:

Cat still on box. :roll:

I may never know what on earth I ordered while heavily medicated after latest op, as access to box currently denied by resident furry psychopath. I tell you, gold-obsessed fire-breathing dragons have not nothin' on the defensive capability of yer average domestic moggy in regards to his cardboard box.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Tue Aug 14, 2018 06:13 pm

I assume you tried the usual tricks? ball of newspaper rolling over the carpet, accidentally feeding the psychopath early, spilling catnip... Getting the vet carry box out (but that's a bit extreme)?
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 06:57 pm

Sandra wrote:I assume you tried the usual tricks? ball of newspaper rolling over the carpet, accidentally feeding the psychopath early, spilling catnip... Getting the vet carry box out (but that's a bit extreme)?
The only thing I've managed to elicit from him so far is a withering look of scorn to remind me of my utter insignificance in relation to the possession of HIS cardboard box. The smug bastard
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 01:12 pm

psssssssst.......

**looks both ways & checks under sofa for hidden furry demon post-eating hell beast**


The cat is off the box!


Mwahahahahshahahahaha!!!!!!!

It's mine I tell you, the box is mine! :twisted: :bounce: :twisted:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 08:45 am

So what did you buy?
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 03:48 pm

Sandra wrote:So what did you buy?
Oh, it soooo turned out not to be worth the effort :roll:
I'd clearly been on Emma Bridewater's website during their sale while on serious painkillers, because for inexplicable reasons I'd bought 2 mugs covered in stars, 2 different sized bowls (stars again), a teaspoon (again with the stars - I must have been attempting a theme), and a plate covered in hearts which didn't match anything else at all! What a load of old crockery! :lol:

The only thing I really like is a cocoa mug which says "time for chocolate, marshmallows and a good book" :) As for the rest of it, I blame the medication!

Why it had to come in a bloody great box, I don't know, but the war of attrition with the bloody-minded cat over ownership of the said box was definitely the most fun part :wink: :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 04:05 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote:So what did you buy?
Oh, it soooo turned out not to be worth the effort :roll:
I'd clearly been on Emma Bridewater's website during their sale while on serious painkillers, because for inexplicable reasons I'd bought 2 mugs covered in stars, 2 different sized bowls (stars again), a teaspoon (again with the stars - I must have been attempting a theme), and a plate covered in hearts which didn't match anything else at all! What a load of old crockery! :lol:

The only thing I really like is a cocoa mug which says "time for chocolate, marshmallows and a good book" :) As for the rest of it, I blame the medication!

Why it had to come in a bloody great box, I don't know, but the war of attrition with the bloody-minded cat over ownership of the said box was definitely the most fun part :wink: :lol:


I wonder if you bought the stars theme as a gift? If so who did you buy the hearts for???

(I speak as someone who bought xmas presents in the post xmas sale before January 1st!)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 07:50 pm

Sandra wrote:I wonder if you bought the stars theme as a gift? If so who did you buy the hearts for???

(I speak as someone who bought xmas presents in the post xmas sale before January 1st!)
I do love astronomy and astrophysics, so in my drug-addled state that might explain the stars (although it doesn't explain the weird combination of mugs, bowls and single teaspoon), but I've got no explanation at all for the single plate covered in pink hearts which doesn't go with anything else I own :? Still, I used it to put my toast on this morning, so I might get used to it.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 08:53 pm

Maybe you just wanted to feel loved? :D
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests