Discworld

Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 09:10 pm

Sandra wrote:Maybe you just wanted to feel loved? :D

Well, I have been single for a while . . . :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4314
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:00 pm

NEITHER RAIN NOR SNOW NOR GLOM OF NIT CAN STAY THESE MESENGERS ABOT THEIR DUTY . . .

". . . er, does it say anything about bears? No? Good - run!!" :lol:

Image
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4314
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 04:22 pm

Did the bear hand over your parcel?

Please explain how this is a safe place for a parcel...

(Yes I have had parcels put in the bin - on bin day - thankfully after collection but boy did it hum)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Aug 28, 2018 04:25 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:NEITHER RAIN NOR SNOW NOR GLOM OF NIT CAN STAY THESE MESENGERS ABOT THEIR DUTY . . .

". . . er, does it say anything about bears? No? Good - run!!" :lol:

Image


:lol: :lol:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
User avatar
Nonny Mouse
 
Posts: 3468
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 05:43 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ, USA

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 07:14 pm

Sandra wrote:Did the bear hand over your parcel?

Please explain how this is a safe place for a parcel...
:lol: Sadly the source was not forthcoming about whether or not the bear handed over the parcel to it's rightful owner

Thankfully, I've never had a parcel left in a wheelie or dust bin, but I have come home on more than one occasion to find that a particular delivery driver has dragged one of the wheelie bins across the driveway and up the garden path in order to wedge a parcel between it and the front door - I have to admire his determination, as a full wheelie bin ways a ton and he wedges it in such a way to make it difficult for an opportunist to get to the parcel. It's not perfect, but the effort I have to go to to wrestle the bloody wheelie bin out of the way would put off all but the most ardent tealeaf and is definitely an improvement on one of the other delivery drivers whose idea of a 'safe' place is simply to chuck it behind the nearest bush! :roll:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4314
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby phazedout » Tue Aug 28, 2018 07:57 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote:Did the bear hand over your parcel?

Please explain how this is a safe place for a parcel...
:lol: Sadly the source was not forthcoming about whether or not the bear handed over the parcel to it's rightful owner

Thankfully, I've never had a parcel left in a wheelie or dust bin, but I have come home on more than one occasion to find that a particular delivery driver has dragged one of the wheelie bins across the driveway and up the garden path in order to wedge a parcel between it and the front door - I have to admire his determination, as a full wheelie bin ways a ton and he wedges it in such a way to make it difficult for an opportunist to get to the parcel. It's not perfect, but the effort I have to go to to wrestle the bloody wheelie bin out of the way would put off all but the most ardent tealeaf and is definitely an improvement on one of the other delivery drivers whose idea of a 'safe' place is simply to chuck it behind the nearest bush! :roll:

Back when i lived in ghe west of Ireland in a quiet street on the outskirts of a small town (there weere COWS in the field ipposite for pity's sake) one time an enterprising delivery driver went around the side of my (semi detached) house and fund the unused cao, bunker, before chucking the parcel in there. IT is admittely waterright but even so...
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
User avatar
phazedout
 
Posts: 7482
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 02:15 pm
Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby phalarope » Wed Aug 29, 2018 03:20 am

UPS is NOT the Postal Service (at least not here in the USA), so have no code of honor about delivery. However, they aren't put off by much, usually deliver to the doorstep regardless of the length of the driveway or limited turning area (mine backs up the drive), and are unfailingly cheerful. It would pretty much have to be a bear to keep one from making a delivery here. :wink: OTOH, they have sold their corporate soul to the USPS, and now residential delivery is completed by the mailman. UPS considers delivery complete once the parcel reaches my local regional postal distribution center (NOT my local PO). THEN handling and delivery go to Halifax in a handbasket, and I thank Om regularly that my mailbox is HUGE.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
phalarope
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:20 am
Location: St. Michaels, County of Talbot, Maryland, USA

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby phalarope » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Norfolk Autumn Migration Magic Weekend bird tour pre-tour packet arrived in the post several days ago. I've been marking up the list of potential sightings and generally drooling quietly to myself. Get off plane Thursday at 10 am, onto train, and hope to be in King's Lynn by 2 pm, birding by 4 pm. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
phalarope
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:20 am
Location: St. Michaels, County of Talbot, Maryland, USA

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Sep 09, 2018 06:49 pm

I hope you have a great time!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
User avatar
Nonny Mouse
 
Posts: 3468
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 05:43 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ, USA

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby phalarope » Tue Sep 11, 2018 05:49 pm

Newest Berke Breathed Bloom County compilation. :D :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
phalarope
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:20 am
Location: St. Michaels, County of Talbot, Maryland, USA

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Alan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Collected my latest order from the Emporium from my neighbour this morning.
Postman couldn't be bothered to ring the bell or knock really loudly like they normally do,they just slid the "while you were out" card silently through the letterbox for me to find when I went upstairs.
Didn't see or hear the postman,are the Royal mail employing ninjas now?
Romani ite domum
User avatar
Alan
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:00 am
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 01:55 pm

Alan wrote:Collected my latest order from the Emporium from my neighbour this morning.
Postman couldn't be bothered to ring the bell or knock really loudly like they normally do,they just slid the "while you were out" card silently through the letterbox for me to find when I went upstairs.
Didn't see or hear the postman,are the Royal mail employing ninjas now?

:lol:

After several bad or just plain weird things happening to my mail and/or parcels, I now make a concerted effort to be on friendly terms with my postmen (have not had a postlady yet). It's a strategy that seems to be working reasonably well so far - unless it's someone on temporary cover, as it was a couple of weeks ago when a parcel was left under the front wheel of my car, which I didn't notice for 2 days! :roll: The culprit concerned had posted a notice through the outer letterbox on the front door, but not through the inner flap, so I only noticed the parcel sitting on the driveway when I came back from Sainsburys and came within 2 inches of running over it! Did I mention that it had also rained overnight? Grrr :evil:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4314
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Alan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 09:49 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
Alan wrote:Collected my latest order from the Emporium from my neighbour this morning.
Postman couldn't be bothered to ring the bell or knock really loudly like they normally do,they just slid the "while you were out" card silently through the letterbox for me to find when I went upstairs.
Didn't see or hear the postman,are the Royal mail employing ninjas now?

:lol:

After several bad or just plain weird things happening to my mail and/or parcels, I now make a concerted effort to be on friendly terms with my postmen (have not had a postlady yet). It's a strategy that seems to be working reasonably well so far - unless it's someone on temporary cover, as it was a couple of weeks ago when a parcel was left under the front wheel of my car, which I didn't notice for 2 days! :roll: The culprit concerned had posted a notice through the outer letterbox on the front door, but not through the inner flap, so I only noticed the parcel sitting on the driveway when I came back from Sainsburys and came within 2 inches of running over it! Did I mention that it had also rained overnight? Grrr :evil:


I`m usually at work when the postie brings my Emporium purchases (working double day shift at the moment) so i don`t have any contact with them,but when i do seem them in the flesh,i`m always polite and happy to see my package,which tends to confuse the poor postie! :lol:
Romani ite domum
User avatar
Alan
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:00 am
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Cara » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 am

I got a hospital appointment letter for my next procedure for my neck pain. Monday 9th November. Um, anyone spot the problem? I shall be phoning for clarification tomorrow....
User avatar
Cara
 
Posts: 5293
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 04:08 pm

Re: Good Post / Bad Post - Special Delivery

Postby Sandra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Cara wrote:I got a hospital appointment letter for my next procedure for my neck pain. Monday 9th November. Um, anyone spot the problem? I shall be phoning for clarification tomorrow....



:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest