Discworld

B S Johnson is alive and well and living in Australia

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

B S Johnson is alive and well and living in Australia

Postby steeljam » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:53 am

From Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia

School officials in Victoria, Australia, say it's too hard for students to calculate equations using the constant 9.8 meters/second/second -- the acceleration of gravity at Earth's surface -- so it's changing the Year 12 physics exam for the Victorian Certificate of Education to use a rounded-off figure of 10 m/s/s. Close enough? No: "The difference could cause a parachutist or bungie jumper to plummet into the ground, or the launching of a rocket to fail," say people who actually understand physics. After hearing the criticism the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority announced that it would not penalize students who used the correct figure.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Miss Tick » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:13 pm

:shock:
:roll:
Miss Tick

Re: B S Johnson is alive and well and living in Australia

Postby Doc Brown » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:47 pm

steeljam wrote:From Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia

School officials in Victoria, Australia, say it's too hard for students to calculate equations using the constant 9.8 meters/second/second -- the acceleration of gravity at Earth's surface -- so it's changing the Year 12 physics exam for the Victorian Certificate of Education to use a rounded-off figure of 10 m/s/s. Close enough? No: "The difference could cause a parachutist or bungie jumper to plummet into the ground, or the launching of a rocket to fail," say people who actually understand physics. After hearing the criticism the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority announced that it would not penalize students who used the correct figure.

Complete eejits, especially in todays world of calculators and computers :roll:
Doc Brown

Postby Colin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:49 pm

Now I could understand if this was in the Southern United States, but I thought the Aussies had more sense ... :roll:
Colin

Postby Pat » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:55 pm

steeljam wrote:From Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia

Surely the Aussies would appreciate the wonder of gravity which stops them falling off the bottom of the world...
Pat
Monitor

Postby Colin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:56 pm

Pat wrote: Surely the Aussies would appreciate the wonder of gravity which stops them falling off the bottom of the world...

I'm so relieved you said 'off' and not 'out of' ...
Colin

Postby Doc Brown » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:59 pm

I think the Aussie batsman would like to fly away somewhere and hide at the moment
Doc Brown

Postby Kiyomi » Sat Jul 02, 2005 07:27 pm

Colin wrote:Now I could understand if this was in the Southern United States, but I thought the Aussies had more sense ... :roll:

Ditto!

And 'They will not penalize student's who use the correct number' :roll: And they wonder why people can't pass science and math classes, perhaps it is because everyone tells them that it's 'too hard' and 'dumbs it down' instead of explaining things to them. And of course if you do take the time to explain things properly and help people understand what they are doing you'll probably be fired for wasting time or some other idiotic reason...
Fortune favors the bold ;-)
Kiyomi

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 02, 2005 08:10 pm

I know, let's round any number over 10 down by one repetitively. That way we don't need any more calculators, computers, or even to take our shoes and socks off to count high numbers any more! Makes life a lot more simple.

Then we can rename "ten" to be "many", and call ourselves Trolls, or perhaps education officials...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Statsman » Sat Jul 02, 2005 08:15 pm

:lol: :lol:

Got to be Trolls. they seem to be more intelligent than education officials. :wink:
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby steeljam » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:32 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I think the Aussie batsman would like to fly away somewhere and hide at the moment

Like counting in fours and sixes is difficult so let us make them fives and tens.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kiyomi » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:05 pm

Or even better every thing can be rounded to 'one'! Than we can multiply, divide, square and square root with no problem! :roll:

Than we could be called the 'ones' and we wouldn't have to talk because we'd all know it's about the number 'one' ;-)
Kiyomi

Postby steeljam » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:13 pm

Maybe we could send the Australian kids hats with fans in so they cope with the hard sums.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kiyomi » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:16 pm

steeljam wrote:Maybe we could send the Australian kids hats with fans in so they cope with the hard sums.

he-he-he, count me in for that! ;-)
Kiyomi

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:20 pm

I havn't heard this! As someone who did Year 12 physics a number of years ago the exam really wasn't that hard in the first place! And I did not encounter a single person, then or since, that found the concept of 9.8m/s/s that difficult a number to deal with :shock:
That is the reason why God invented calculators, after all :D (and they get to use graphic's calculators nowdays, unlike in my time when it was only the standard scientific calculator)
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table