Discworld

chocolate is good for you!

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

chocolate is good for you!

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 20, 2005 01:31 pm

Apparently ( According to my husband who heard it this morning on the radio...) American scientists have discovered somthing in chocolate that is good for you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Going to be searching tomorrows New Scientist (and next weeks) for more details...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Mooresey » Wed Jul 20, 2005 01:53 pm

Theres no doubt about it :D
Mooresey

Postby alohura » Wed Jul 20, 2005 02:21 pm

It's chocolate I had to find out more.

A daily 3.5 ounce bar of dark chocolate was associated with an average 11.9 mm Hg drop in systolic blood pressure and an 8.5 mm Hg decline in diastolic pressure (P<0.0001) in a study that compared the potential health benefits of dark chocolate to white chocolate, reported Jeffrey B. Blumberg, Ph.D., of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts.

And that's only half the story, dark chocolate also decreased total cholesterol (P<0.05), and serum LDL cholesterol (P<0.05) but not triglycerides or HDL. It also improved flow-mediated dilation (FMD), and ameliorated insulin sensitivity in hypertensives.

White chocolate, by contrast, had no obvious benefit.

More info Here
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Location: Small town in Northamptonshire that nobody has ever heard of.

Postby NiDochartaigh » Wed Jul 20, 2005 03:20 pm

alohura wrote:It's chocolate I had to find out more.

A daily 3.5 ounce bar of dark chocolate was associated with an average 11.9 mm Hg drop in systolic blood pressure and an 8.5 mm Hg decline in diastolic pressure (P<0.0001) in a study that compared the potential health benefits of dark chocolate to white chocolate, reported Jeffrey B. Blumberg, Ph.D., of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts.

And that's only half the story, dark chocolate also decreased total cholesterol (P<0.05), and serum LDL cholesterol (P<0.05) but not triglycerides or HDL. It also improved flow-mediated dilation (FMD), and ameliorated insulin sensitivity in hypertensives.

White chocolate, by contrast, had no obvious benefit.

More info Here

and in english?
NiDochartaigh

Postby marmaduke » Wed Jul 20, 2005 03:22 pm

NiDochartaigh wrote:

and in english?

Just about everything in moderation i believe. :wink:
Everything comes to them that wait.
marmaduke

Postby Buckjump » Wed Jul 20, 2005 03:47 pm

Before you go rushing off to stuff Dairy Milk down your throats, this applies to dark chocolate only, folks - the bittersweet stuff of 70% cocoa or more, but the higher the better. Milk chocolate - Dairy Milk has only 20/30% cocoa and the amount of fat and sugar in it far outweighs any good you'd be doing by eating it I'm afraid!
Buckjump

Postby alohura » Wed Jul 20, 2005 03:58 pm

So I can keep eating my 85% cocoa dark chocolate? Fantastic!
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Postby Kiyomi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 04:20 pm

Buckjump wrote:Before you go rushing off to stuff Dairy Milk down your throats, this applies to dark chocolate only, folks - the bittersweet stuff of 70% cocoa or more, but the higher the better. Milk chocolate - Dairy Milk has only 20/30% cocoa and the amount of fat and sugar in it far outweighs any good you'd be doing by eating it I'm afraid!

And to add to that, it's a small piece of chocolate a day that's good for you, not an entire cany bar. Think after dinner taste cleanser size.
Fortune favors the bold ;-)
Kiyomi

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Jul 20, 2005 06:53 pm

I've been saying chocolate is good for you for years.

After all, it's made from beans, so it's a vegetable ;)
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby rentawitch » Wed Jul 20, 2005 07:01 pm

Coffee is also a vegetable, and tobacco, and alcohol is either a vegetable or a fruit.

Very easy to get your 5 a day, if you concentrate! :D
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby alohura » Wed Jul 20, 2005 08:38 pm

Dragonlady wrote:I've been saying chocolate is good for you for years.

You will luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve the chocolate I found in Hotel Chocolat, I will bring some to Wadfest with me.
alohura

Postby Buckjump » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:10 am

alohura wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:I've been saying chocolate is good for you for years.

You will luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve the chocolate I found in Hotel Chocolat, I will bring some to Wadfest with me.

Hotel Chocolat chocolate is goood. I've bought my girlfriend a few boxes of chocolates from there before, admittedly because I like them and can pinch a few. If you haven't seen it already, www.chocolatetradingco.com is excellent for a huge variety of the high cocoa stuff which you are sophisticated enough to know is the mutt's nuts, but it's pretty expensive. :wink:

I'm turning into a girl here, I realise.
Buckjump

Postby alohura » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:17 am

I've seen that place, it looks good. Somewhere I keep meaning to try. Now I have the link, no excuse :D

A chocolate appreciation is not a girl thing. When I shared a house with 3 men, they were always stealing my chocolate, stock piling snickers for the weekend and buying the most chocolately cereal they could find.
alohura

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:06 am

rentawitch wrote:Coffee is also a vegetable, and tobacco, and alcohol is either a vegetable or a fruit.

Very easy to get your 5 a day, if you concentrate! :D
And ketchup!
Pat
Monitor

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11 am

Don't forget the branston pickle - that has veggies in it too!
Angua

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table