Discworld

Over Seas Post Office?????

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Over Seas Post Office?????

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 07:50 pm

I am just full of thoughts today.

As in the DW which has, or will have, Post Offices all over the Disc, why not have different P.O.'s in Roundworld so the distribution can be more even and faster. Can someone maybe put there name out for a post master? No one... anyone... oh, okay. I guess I could raise my hand. I have alot of time during the week, only working three days and kids to take care of... something to help fill the time while they are asleep, napping *quickly hides the childerens bottle of valium* :roll:

Like I said, just a thought.
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

a way to close the gap perhaps

Postby Bernard the Stout » Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:06 pm

If by bulk sending the mail to you would it speed things up?
Be cheaper for all of you in the States?
Make your lives a little less fraught waiting for the mail?
Give it some thought, and have a chat with the rest of the Stateside gang, and do let us know. Anything we can do to close the gap, both in distance and the disparity with the current rates of exchange would be a real bonus for Isobel and I.
Bernard the Stout
Cunning Artificer

Postby Kiyomi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:08 pm

I have already offered to do this service for Peter "Push-da-Quill" 's mailings, if there is interst I would be happy to do so for other items as well. I am not sure that this would really speed most items up but it would probably save people a spot of cash. And I already have most of the statesides people's addresses.
Fortune favors the bold ;-)
Kiyomi

Postby Kiyomi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:09 pm

I will also be handeling the US distribution of the society FDCs.
Fortune favors the bold ;-)
Kiyomi

Postby Fendetestas » Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:15 pm

Maybe you can test it for a while with Pusha's mailings and if it turns out to be a good idea, you (or someone else) can extend it to other items.
Fendetestas

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:18 pm

I would love to give it a go. :D

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:49 pm

Like I said I have three week days free to myself and the kids and one weekend day. I would love to help out with some of the stress, of not only the Artificer and his fellow's, but also economically with my fellow flatalists here in the states. I have a nice big basement with lots of room and no way any little hands can get down there to 'sticky' up the works. It's the least that I could do for my fellow 'addicts'! :D

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:04 pm

I thought of offering in the past, except it seems as if this might actually slow things down. Save on cost, but possibly add some delay. Especially if, gods forbid, something should happen in the personal life of the distributor. The last thing they would need is to be stressed about other peoples mail. I would definitly vote for paying more than for waiting longer. :D

I think Kiyomi helping to distribute PdQ's mailings to save on the Society's costs is a great idea. But I would limit it to that and not include orders from B&I.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Pusha-da-Quil » Thu Jul 21, 2005 07:12 am

Let's try to clear this one up.

Kiyomi very kindly offered to 'receive and forward' all my US postings. I - very rudely - have failed to reply until now, as I wasn't then ready to send anything. In fact, there aren't enough Flatalists over there yet to make this workable. I have recently sent a package to Kiyomi and it took for ever to arrive. If she were then to post individual mailings on, that for me would add to our overall costs and also to the time it would take an item to arrive at it's final destination.
There is no real way around this problem, except for us all to have PATIENCE.

There are no costs incurred to the Society by any postings from the General Secretary. End of discussion. :lol:
Pusha-da-Quil

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 21, 2005 08:16 am

Pusha-da-Quil wrote:...except for us all to have PATIENCE.

Watch yourself old chap. I got told off for repeated use of the P-word :wink: It seems some of our members don't understand it, or think it's an obscenity :lol:
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Colin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 09:02 am

Darren wrote:

Watch yourself old chap. I got told off for repeated use of the P-word :wink: It seems some of our members don't understand it, or think it's an obscenity :lol:

Patience is a virtue that comes with 'serenity' and has to be learned by 'experience' ... stuff that Pusha & I have aplenty.

... however, we could beat it into anyone who wants to complain, with a big stick, aka a LART ... :wink:

And as for you, Dr H ... less of the 'old', if you don't mind ... :twisted:
Colin

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:59 am

Darren wrote:
Prefer Ruddigore, m'self.

Ah, that reminds me of a morning, some years ago, when I was working alone in the mortuary. As was oft my habit, I was singing while I worked - the magnificent (when sung by someone who could sing) Ghosts Song from Ruddigore: (And I apologise that this isn't the Cat Strangling topic)

WHEN the night wind howls
In the chimney cowls,
And the bat in the moonlight flies,
And the inky clouds,
Like funeral shrouds,
Sail over the midnight skies--

When the footpads quail
At the night-bird’s wail,
And black dogs bay at the moon,
Then is the spectre’s holiday--
Then is the ghost’s high noon!

Ha! Ha!

Then is the ghost’s high noon!

As the sob of the breeze
Sweeps over the trees
And the mists lie low on the fen,
From grey tomb-stones
Are gathered the bones
That once were women and men,

And away they go,
With a mop and a mow,
To the revel that ends too soon,
For cock crow limits our holiday--
The dead of the night’s high noon!

Ha! Ha!

And then each ghost
With his ladye-toast
To their church yard beds take flight,
With a kiss, perhaps,
On her lantern chaps,
And a grisly grim, “good night!”

Till the welcome knell
Of the midnight bell
Rings forth its jolliest tune,
And ushers in our next high holiday--

Ha! Ha!

The dead of the night’s hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh nooooooooooooooon!

Now, you have to imagine that last line, being belted out with great gusto, but not much skill. I switched off the taps and turned round - where, much to my surprise, I found two young police officers who had been brought down to witness an autopsy as part of their training. They'd be warned the mortuary could be an unpleasant place, but I'd don't think they'd fully appreciated the prospect of the whole horrible multimedia experience!
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pusha-da-Quil » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Darren wrote:

While I quite understand you point Darren, it seems that words commencing with 'v' are my problem. :wink:
With regards to Patience, it is by far and away the best way to await packages associated with this forum, believe me. :lol:

Incidently - I don't object to the 'old' word - I am. :cry: Just less reminding me of it would be appreciated. :wink:
Pusha-da-Quil

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jul 21, 2005 01:07 pm

Well, I think that illustrates that a US central posting point is not a good option. I would feel far more comfortable enquiring about the whereabouts of an order with B&I than I would with another forum member. It's not only a pa.. pa... p-word issue, it's an added, unneeded complication (at least as far as orders go).
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Thu Jul 21, 2005 09:05 pm

Pat wrote:
Darren wrote:
Prefer Ruddigore, m'self.

Ah, that reminds me of a morning, some years ago, when I was working alone in the mortuary. As was oft my habit, I was singing while I worked - the magnificent (when sung by someone who could sing) Ghosts Song from Ruddigore: (And I apologise that this isn't the Cat Strangling topic)
WHEN the night wind howls ...
Mikado for me. I have a little list, and it is getting longer. Especially when people post off-key.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table