Discworld

The Birdie Thread.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The Birdie Thread.

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 05:48 pm

Hummingbird wished me happy new year today :D
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 07:24 pm

Fieldfares

A mixed flock of a couple of starlings, a handfull of sparrows and half a dozen fieldfares in the garden, they didn't travel far - spotted them demolishing a decorative berry bush around the corner a few hours later.

Never seen them as garden birds before. (Tray of sunflower seeds, suet and raisins was put out under the gazebo to stop the snow burying it before the birds got to it may have helped more than the resident blackbirds)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Gloucester Police force are urgently seeking the public's assistance in locating a repeat offender with a thing for blocking CCTV cameras, which is interfering with enquiries

Steve the Bluetit
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:53 pm

It's March 15th and the first osprey arrived right on time. :D And now for 6 months of incessant kip-kip-kip calls. :roll:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Fri Mar 16, 2018 03:37 pm

We might (possibly) be done with the gulls for this winter! :bounce:

This is a Good Thing - mainly because some idiot is feeding the blighters - right next to my garden - the birds are dropping soggy bread in my garden (trigger (someone else's) cats eating mouldy bread and getting diarrhoea) and since we have 3 doz or more black-headed gulls wheeling over our house/car guess what I get to wash off my windows EVERY WEEK EACH WINTER? (And off the carpet last week? :cry: )

The birds go off a distance to breed or want to feed their young something more nutritious than stale bread.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Sandra » Thu Apr 26, 2018 09:31 pm

Sitting eating dinner watching a robin hopping about the garden this evening...

Listening to Figaro (Don't ask me the proper name but I'm sure that's enough to ID the piece) - the robin hops onto our BSJ toasting fork (makes a good bird feeder stand) and starts singing - with his beak opening in time to the radio.

Very surreal
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 09:58 pm

Sandra wrote:Sitting eating dinner watching a robin hopping about the garden this evening...

Listening to Figaro (Don't ask me the proper name but I'm sure that's enough to ID the piece) - the robin hops onto our BSJ toasting fork (makes a good bird feeder stand) and starts singing - with his beak opening in time to the radio.

Very surreal
:lol: Reminded me of the late, great, Robin Williams doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPz7S-3YC0
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Baby screech owl!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: In our owl box!! With one of the parents. It is sooooooooo cute! Squeeeeeeee!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 05, 2018 08:36 am

In my garden this morning, getting stuck into the peanuts, monkeynuts, slightly greenish bacon, salmon skin strips, chopped squidgy apple, bread crusts, suet slab, mealworms, mixed seeds and other assorted detritus, I have

1 raven
1 jay, plus another on the fence
3 ring-their-neck parakeets
2 blackbirds
1 thrush
9 magpies
2 jackdaws
3, maybe 4, crows (they keep moving around)
'some' great tits
1 nuthatch
2 squirrels
and, sitting in the middle, oblivious to and ignored by the birds all around, happily chewing on the bread crusts, a young fox
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 01:12 pm

chrisboote wrote:In my garden this morning, getting stuck into the peanuts, monkeynuts, slightly greenish bacon, salmon skin strips, chopped squidgy apple, bread crusts, suet slab, mealworms, mixed seeds and other assorted detritus, I have

1 raven
1 jay, plus another on the fence
3 ring-their-neck parakeets
2 blackbirds
1 thrush
9 magpies
2 jackdaws
3, maybe 4, crows (they keep moving around)
'some' great tits
1 nuthatch
2 squirrels
and, sitting in the middle, oblivious to and ignored by the birds all around, happily chewing on the bread crusts, a young fox
:lol: and who doesn't want to see some great tits in their garden? fnar fnar

My personal favourite are long-tailed tits, which are just the cutest little balls of fluff on a stick. We also get loads of very noisy parakeets - every evening at sunset they form a big flock and do a low formation fly-by over our gardens in a big wooooossshhhh from north to south. They do the same thing in the morning, but from south to north. Weird, but a great show.

Freddy, my resident boy fox who has been coming to my garden for his tea every evening since he was a cub himself, is now bring this year's cubs (his second lot) to say hello too :D Tilly, his daughter from last year, also visits every evening and is a very good 'auntie' to this year's cubs - taking them food and giving them a telling off when they step out of line. This year's cubs have taken to playing on the slide and tree house thingy in the garden 2 doors down, but thankfully my neighbours are lovely people who don't mind and enjoy watching their antics. I love wildlife. :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Haven't seen any long-tailed tits this year
And for some reason, no robins yesterday
Or starlings

And it's odd, we have sparrows and blue tits in the front, have done for years, but they never come into the back
chrisboote

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Jul 06, 2018 09:04 pm

I got home on Saturday to find a young starling on the patio by the kitchen window, just 'sat' there almost motionless. but its eyes were moving and it shivered when I reached out to it. I assumed it had tried to fly through the glass in the window and was probably a bit dazed, so I put some water in a plant pot saucer and got some wild bird seed and placed that nearby.
1/2 hour later and the poor thing still hadn't moved, so I gently picked it up and put it in a shoebox, suitably punched with air holes and padded with tissue, and drove to the local RSPCA centre 6 miles away. Once there I explained what I thought had happened and was sternly told to take it back where I had found it, give it some water and leave it alone and it would recover itself.
So I drove back home, opened the box and true enough it flew off to the bird feeders at the bottom of the garden looking perfectly fit and healthy.
Squigglyx

Postby Sandra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:30 pm

I disturbed a robin fledgling in the garden the other day. It watched me with suspicion while I moved about, sitting in the peach tree. Considering I was filling the bird bath and putting garden waste in the brown bin I was getting close and making some loud noises all he did was move around the tree to get a better view.

As soon as I headed inside I turned to watch him, thinking he would drop down for a drink or bath... To see him flying off, the floor show had finished apparently.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 09, 2018 06:04 am

Exciting day for some people

As I walked over the bridge to get my breakfast this morning, I saw a Pigeon Guillemot perched on a crane

As it's native to the North Western USA & Canada, I was surprised

By the time I walked back, there were already three twitchers with huge lensed cameras taking photos
chrisboote

Postby Jeanpaul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 08:16 am

I just watch a Cuckoo Bird in Youtube, boy they were vicious the moment they were born. Is it in the genes that made them to throw other chicks from the nest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1WccH2_YM
Jeanpaul

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table