Discworld

The Birdie Thread.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

The Birdie Thread.

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 am

Rather than hijacking the other thread, let's have a thread all about our feathered friends. :)

What birds have you seen recently? What birds have you seen in the past? Where is your favourite place to watch birds?

I'm missing being in Arizona at the moment as I love seeing all the birds over there. I've mentioned in the past my chance encounter with an Elegant Trogon. Birders from all over come to certain parts of southern Arizona with the hope of seeing one and many people fail. I saw one purely by chance in a place called Madera Canyon in the Santa Rita Mountains. It was in the winter and not the season at all to see trogons, but there was one in a tree sitting quite happily and letting me get quite close. It was such a thrill to see. :D
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Re: The Birdie Thread.

Postby Basement » Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am

On Saturday I was out for a nice long walk through some of the local heathland and woods and spotted a jay! Blighter wouldn't sit still long enough for me to take a photo on my phone though...
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Basement wrote:On Saturday I was out for a nice long walk through some of the local heathland and woods and spotted a jay! Blighter wouldn't sit still long enough for me to take a photo on my phone though...

I live in central London, but am lucky enough to have a decent sized garden which gets lots of feathery visitors thanks to regular sunflower hearts and peanuts - the latter regularly attracts a couple of jays which are busy nesting in a neighbour's garden across the road. I regularly get blackbirds, wrens, robins, all kinds of finches and tits......including the complete tit next door who doesn't seem to realise that he's a creepy peeping tom! :?

Tony - your legend has you listed as being in Cardiff.....have you moved or has my geography gone mental? :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 pm

I can add the heron who lives on the lake behind the house to the list (along with a random selection of ducks and geese). Still waiting for the first sighting this year of the kingfisher that sometimes buzzes around the shore though, in a blue blur stylie.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 01, 2013 01:26 pm

Basement wrote:
Tony - your legend has you listed as being in Cardiff.....have you moved or has my geography gone mental? :)

No, I'm in Cardiff. I'd just love to be in Arizona at the moment, but that doesn't look too likely for a while at least. :(
Tonyblack

Postby steeljam » Wed May 01, 2013 02:55 pm

Last week I had a day off so I went for a walk around the west London parks. Started off in Hyde Park then to Green Park and into St James's Park. After lunch I ended up in Regents' Park before going to the SotD 4 talk in Holborn.
I was amazed at the number of birds around the place and the noise, even over the flocks of school kids having lunch in the parks.

Regent's Park: Goose and Heron, Heron Triptic
St James's Park: American White Pelican, Pair of Pelicans
Hyde Park: Crested Greeb on its nest, Heron, Pigeons queueing for a bath.

I stopped off at the new Bomber Command memorial. What a wonderful building.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 01, 2013 03:18 pm

And about time Bomber Command finally got the recognition they deserved!
Tonyblack

Postby steeljam » Wed May 01, 2013 04:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:And about time Bomber Command finally got the recognition they deserved!
Didn't take long to digress :D We are Back :bounce:
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Wed May 01, 2013 05:51 pm

We don't get many exciting birds around here, mostly robins, blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers (who are beautiful but like to make holes in our house). If I'm really, really lucky I'll get a hummingbird at the feeder. I have a really hard time attracting them though. :(

Great bird story! Yesterday we had people out to put new gutters on the house. I had to point out that there was a robin and her babies nesting on a downspout. He said he'd do his best to relocate it, but that she might abandon the nest. He moved it to the other side of the yard, noticed that she was still going to it while he was working, so when they were done on that side, he put the nest right back where it was and she flew right to it! :D Whew! Thought I was going to get stuck nursing baby birds. :shock:
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed May 01, 2013 08:05 pm

Every day I see white-winged doves, two kinds of thrashers, and pigeons, who are all after the cat's leftover food. I have grackles and sparrows out front.

I once saw a bird of prey pull a fish out of a park lake, and had a hard time identifying it because I didn't get a good look at the head. It seemed a little too big to be a hawk but a little too small for an eagle. My father (who is a wildlife biologist and bird watcher) suggested it might be an osprey. We went back on his last visit and didn't see it, but did see an American hawk hanging out in a tree. I'm still not sure what it was.

We have lots of hawks around here. I see one pretty much every time I get on the freeway.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 01, 2013 08:59 pm

Like I say, Arizona is great for birds. I love to see the turkey vultures making lazy circles in the sky. :)
Tonyblack

Postby phalarope » Wed May 01, 2013 09:40 pm

OK, birds! Moved from the Forum Going Downhill thread. :D

Saturday afternoon first chimney swifts of spring. CHITTER CHITTER CHITTER! :D
Yesterday morning first great crested flycatcher of spring. WHEEP! :bounce:
This morning first wood thrush of spring. EE-O-LAY! :sunny:
Every morning for the past week - wild turkeys. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE! :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Wed May 01, 2013 09:48 pm

I bird pretty much 24/7, often unconsciously, often only by sound. At the first NADWCON, in Arizona, I FORCED myself to leave the binoculars at home. Wouldn't need binoculars to see Sir Terry. And had birded Arizona in 1993. (Madera Canyon and the Huachucas, Tony :) - I've been to Paradise. :wink: ) So of course there was stuff in the hotel garden I was desperate to ID to add to my life list, and had no tools. :roll: I did manage to add Great-Tailed Grackle, because that's the only huge grackle in Tucson. :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 pm

I love grackles! They make the most raucous noises and have adopted car parks as their home territory. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 pm

I do not, because I've been attacked by them more than once for wandering too near their nests by total mistake. One nested in a tree along the walkway that led to the office. It was attacking people all day, but we had no other way in so we couldn't help it. I think they had maintenance remove the nest because it was such a pest, and I've never seen a nest so near since. Pretty dumb on the bird's part, picking such a high-traffic area and then getting all pissy about the traffic.

The other time was in the LA rose garden and I nearly whapped it with a textbook in self-defense. I was totally surprised.

Ravens, on the other hand, have managed to scare me in ways that left me impressed rather than annoyed. That time, I had exited the computer building at USC out the back way, and there was this enormous raven in a tree just a few feet away. It just looked at me very directly and held very still, but like it was looming rather than shrinking (cue Darth Vader theme). I suddenly felt like the thing could kill me if it wanted, so I backed slowly and respectfully away. Ever since, I have LOVED ravens. It had so much presence, and asserted its territory by sheer will rather than annoying squawking.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table