Discworld

The Birdie Thread.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The Birdie Thread.

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 19, 2017 03:07 pm

Sandra wrote::( Merry has seen the fledglings begging in the garden... She is now complaining that the babies are starving!

Putting out food does not fix this problem - because they didn't come back - it's raining... And Merry is still squawking that the babies are starving!"

In a few weeks (when the gape has faded and the babies stop begging) it'll get better, but for now - THE BABIES ARE STARVING!!!!
The babies are screaming their beaks off in my garden at the moment - every nest seems to have fledged at once and there's starving babies everywhere! Never heard such a cacophony going on in the bushes. I can barely fill the bird-feeders up fast enough and the Starlings are getting through 3-4 fat balls a day all on their own!
Your poor Merry must be going bonkers
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Gaspode » Fri May 19, 2017 05:11 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote::( Merry has seen the fledglings begging in the garden... She is now complaining that the babies are starving!

Putting out food does not fix this problem - because they didn't come back - it's raining... And Merry is still squawking that the babies are starving!"

In a few weeks (when the gape has faded and the babies stop begging) it'll get better, but for now - THE BABIES ARE STARVING!!!!
The babies are screaming their beaks off in my garden at the moment - every nest seems to have fledged at once and there's starving babies everywhere! Never heard such a cacophony going on in the bushes. I can barely fill the bird-feeders up fast enough and the Starlings are getting through 3-4 fat balls a day all on their own!
Your poor Merry must be going bonkers

Lucky people. All we have is noisy Seagulls screaming at all hours and making a mess of my van. This morning there were 4 of the stupid things on the roof and they didn't fly off until I drove away. Anytime soon we will be mobbed as the idiot things think we are after the babies (on the roof 3 floors up)
We have sparrows and a couple of Goldfinches in the bushes next to the flats but the seagulls mob these as well.
Gaspode

Postby Sandra » Sun May 21, 2017 09:33 am

I totally empathise with you, someone here feeds blackheaded gulls - off the top of a garage next to my garden.

On my list today - wash guano off windows (weekly job), pick up dropped (and rotting) bread scattered by the gulls - before the neighbourhood cats eat the bread because then I have diarrhoea to clear up.

i much prefer to reflect on the pair of goldfinches that turn up every dinnertime, and the sparrow fledglings trying to work out what the dunnock is eating (they've even tried begging from her - she's not being nasty to them), or the blackbird hen who refuses to drink from the birdbath - I'd better top up the pond for her :D
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Mon May 29, 2017 12:38 pm

I discovered a pileated woodpecker nest hole in my front yard, mainly because the 2 young'uns, which are now quite huge, were screaming to be fed. :bounce: :bounce:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by phalarope on Mon May 29, 2017 07:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby chrisboote » Mon May 29, 2017 04:58 pm

We are now at three jays visible, and noise of at least two babies audible

Considering I'd never seen a live jay until we moved here in 2006, I'm pretty happy :)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Mon May 29, 2017 05:15 pm

Wish you joy of your jays, Chris. :D

I haven't seen any young blue jays yet this year, but the adults are cleaning out the sunflower feeders as fast as we can fill them.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Baby screech owl perched in the entrance to the owl box! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
2017-6-11 small.jpg

And last night I heard a juvenile great horned owl screeching for food.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Bloody Ring-bloody-necked bloody parakeets :(

Noisy, aggressive, murderous little bastards, now endemic in Surrey, and destroying the bird feeders and attacking the jays in my garden

Not allowed to shoot them, possibly allowed to trap them ... but then f they escape, guilty of a WCA offense

I'd like to wring their little necks
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 02:11 pm

As a bone fide Wet Hen, i can't condone violence to birds or animals even if they are being noisy annoying bastards like the foxes in the garden at 1.30am this morning. However I can recommend you get yourself a water pistol as a spurt of water right in the face, or beak in this case, is surprisingly effective while not actually causing any harm to said noisy bastard. And it's also fun . . . Although i don't recommend you try it on Julia unless you actually like being punched in the face . . . :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby Squigglyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 pm

I spotted a House sparrow feeding 4 or 5 fledglings in my garden this afternoon.

https://youtu.be/co7aRGeLfYA

Video quality isn't very good, all I had to hand was my phone and video captured through dining room window
Squigglyx

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 08:33 am

Just seen two Helmeted guinea fowl wandering round Hayling Island, odd bird to find near a park, so close to the sea. :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby hansolobiker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 am

I was staying in Cambridge over the weekend at St Catherine's College and was having a late evening cool down in the quad. There was a blackbird hopping back and forth over the grass for a while when out of the corner of my eye I caught a sudden flash of movement and saw a Peregrine Falcon swoop on the blackbird. There was an explosion of feathers and the falcon flew off, triumphant. As I had just spent a day at the Flying Legends Air Show at Duxford, it seemed ironic to finish my visit so!
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby phalarope » Wed Jul 12, 2017 04:40 pm

Peregrines are awesome! :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am

Yesterday Dinky upset martyn by catching a fledgeling thrush, she spat it out as Daddy wa not impressed, and it scrambled into some overhanging shrubbery, after dinner I lifted the shrubbery with a broom, and found the bird still shocked, and more than a bit scared.
I gave in and ushered it into a cat carrier, lined with shredded paper, and put in some meal worms and water, left it outside with the door facing a wall, with a brick on top, hoping it was enough for the fledgeling to have a quiet safe night while it recovered.
This morning amid a flurry of distress calls from its perents I coaxed it out into our whild patch under the little oak, went to work, came home, and no distress calls, and no fledgeling bird. Its real hard being a birdwatcher when your also a cat slave. :( Thrush 1 Dinky 0
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am

phalarope wrote:Peregrines are awesome! :D

When out for a walk this weekend we found a dead (poisoned, by appearances) Peregrine
Reported it to the RSPB, but still left us feeling down for a bit
Also saw three red kites and a kestrel though, so not all bad on the raptor front
chrisboote

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table