Discworld

The Birdie Thread.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The Birdie Thread.

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 09:24 pm

Last night I heard the familiar chirp of distress of a young bird. Normally I don't know until it's all over and all I get is a corpse, but this one was still fluttering. My cat was just batting it around. Cats are not particularly kind animals, much as we love them. I had to consider if I thought it was near death enough to leave it be or to save it... I saw a parent bird all huffed up trying to get near, and that was that.

I pushed the cat away and scooped the little bird into a dish, with a newspaper on top. I deposited it on the back wall and it fluttered down to the neighbor's yard, much safer. It sat there for a while, looking scared but much better, and finally the parents came for it and led it away to the shelter of nearby bushes. It wasn't able to fly, which is probably how it managed to endanger itself. But it hopped all right.

These were thrashers, who spend a lot of time on the ground taking their lives in their hands thrashing about the dead leaves in search of bugs. These are the easiest for the cat to catch and the corpses I get most often (which is still not very, because he's an old and lazy cat, but we had a cool rain last night so he may have been feeling perky).

I don't know if the bird will live or not... it was hopping around pretty good last I saw but I don't know what its injuries are like. But I couldn't help it. What will be will be. The cat later got all lovey with me, so I guess I'm forgiven for taking away his plaything.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Last night I heard the familiar chirp of distress of a young bird. Normally I don't know until it's all over and all I get is a corpse, but this one was still fluttering. My cat was just batting it around. Cats are not particularly kind animals, much as we love them. I had to consider if I thought it was near death enough to leave it be or to save it... I saw a parent bird all huffed up trying to get near, and that was that.

I pushed the cat away and scooped the little bird into a dish, with a newspaper on top. I deposited it on the back wall and it fluttered down to the neighbor's yard, much safer. It sat there for a while, looking scared but much better, and finally the parents came for it and led it away to the shelter of nearby bushes. It wasn't able to fly, which is probably how it managed to endanger itself. But it hopped all right.

These were thrashers, who spend a lot of time on the ground taking their lives in their hands thrashing about the dead leaves in search of bugs. These are the easiest for the cat to catch and the corpses I get most often (which is still not very, because he's an old and lazy cat, but we had a cool rain last night so he may have been feeling perky).

I don't know if the bird will live or not... it was hopping around pretty good last I saw but I don't know what its injuries are like. But I couldn't help it. What will be will be. The cat later got all lovey with me, so I guess I'm forgiven for taking away his plaything.
Well done that Wet Hen :thumbl: As a proud Wet Hen myself, I have been known to rescue moths, mice, birds, squirrels and the occasional frog from the dastardly clutches of my moggies :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Oh shoot! I forgot all about the Wet Hen thread! I should've posted it there. :oops:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Carol - saw this and thought of you :D

Red-necked Phalarope, Phalaropus lobatus, by Saverio Gatto, Italy - Best portrait category winner, 2018 Bird Photographer of the Year

2018 Bird Photographer of the Year in Pictures

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Oh gosh, that is lovely, Grace! :D :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 06:18 am

Wow! gorgeous picture, gorgeous bird , they aught to show it to all ballerinas " this is what we want when we say think swan !" or in this case Phalarope, i can see why it won, stunning picture.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table