Discworld

The insanity of cats.....

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

The insanity of cats.....

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 am

Today my kitten, Oscar, decided to present me with a florescent orange sock which he had stolen from my neighbour's washing line. He proudly announced his successful navigation of said sock through two cat flaps by meowing his head off and as soon as I went to see what the fuss was about, he immediately dropped the sock and ran over to the cupboard where I keep the cat treats, the cheeky bugger! :lol: I have to admit that once I'd stopped laughing he did get his treats - which probably means I'm encouraging his thieving habit.

Thankfully my neighbour saw the funny side when I went round to return the sock, although neither of us could work out how he'd got the sock off the line in the first place....
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Re: The insanity of cats.....

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 19, 2013 10:38 am

:lol: How funny!

I used to have a cat that, because I was away so often, ended up living with my neighbour in the flat below me. Last year, my neighbour went away for a few days on holiday and I agreed to feed and clean up after Leida. One day while I was down there, she went into the bathroom and sat beneath the bath tap and stared at me until I turned the water on a trickle. I assumed this was a new trick that my neighbour had taught her and proceeded to do this every day I visited.

When the neighbour got back and I mentioned this 'trick' it turned out that Leida had never done this before. She certainly hadn't done it when she lived with me.

We both laughed at the time - but from then onwards, Leida insists (sometimes noisily) that she has to have the tap turned on for a drink at least twice a day. :meow:
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 am

As some of you know, I've been following the live web cam broadcast of the MythBusters Foster Kittens. The guy who set up the camera lives in Washington state and has fostered nearly forty litters of newborn kittens and their mums. The last five or so litters have been with the webcam set up and has been a huge success with over 31,000 registered followers and countless unregistered ones. His kittens and mother cats now get snapped up for adoption as soon as they are ready.

This current batch are named the MythBuster Kittens after the US TV show and all the kittens are named after the presenters. This is explained by Foster Dad John on the site:
Foster Dad John wrote:A few sets of kittens ago, Grant Imahara tweeted that he was checking his email and was surprised to hear his computer rustling - he had forgotten that he left the Kitten Cam up in a background window! Ever since then, I've wanted to do a Mythbuster's theme.

This batch of kittens were born on the 8th May and, as you can see in the YouTube link below, already quite lively.

Battle at the Milk Bar

WARNING: While kitten watching can be extremely therapeutic, it can also be incredibly addictive. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 19, 2013 03:25 pm

Tonyblack wrote::lol: How funny!

I used to have a cat that, because I was away so often, ended up living with my neighbour in the flat below me. Last year, my neighbour went away for a few days on holiday and I agreed to feed and clean up after Leida. One day while I was down there, she went into the bathroom and sat beneath the bath tap and stared at me until I turned the water on a trickle. I assumed this was a new trick that my neighbour had taught her and proceeded to do this every day I visited.

When the neighbour got back and I mentioned this 'trick' it turned out that Leida had never done this before. She certainly hadn't done it when she lived with me.

We both laughed at the time - but from then onwards, Leida insists (sometimes noisily) that she has to have the tap turned on for a drink at least twice a day. :meow:

:lol: One of my other 2 feline nutters does the same trick with the tap, the other one ignores the tap but goes bananas chasing a ping pong ball around the bath :D
Grace Speaker

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 19, 2013 05:25 pm

Emily, one of our cats in Tucson is a real hunter. She especially likes to catch lizards (I saw her with a small snake once) which she drops into the bath tub so she can play with them where they can't escape. One day, I was taking a shower in that bathtub and noticed that the plug was down and the tub was filling with water. So I pulled the plug up only to have a frantic lizard run over my feet. Apparently it had escaped down the plughole and Emily, trying to catch it, had pushed the plug closed. It had waited there until I opened the plug.

I can tell you it is very hard to catch a soapy scared lizard when you don't have your glasses on. :lol:

Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 19, 2013 05:26 pm

Tonyblack

Postby SANEAlex » Sun May 19, 2013 08:38 pm

The Internet designed by DARPA*1 as a backup route for communications during a global thermonuclear war. After several near misses it was eventually shared with the public who mainly use it for cat propaganda memes i some times suspect the last post before the lights go out will be something like this *2 :-

https://cheezburger.com/1545289472

*1 Who cribbed a lot of stuff from Radio HAMs and UK Telephone engineers to get it to work.

*2 I did wonder about creating one of a similar nature but a quick search found it already existed
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 19, 2013 09:13 pm

:lol: Love these pics! I'd upload a pic of the nefarious sock burglar himself, but "the computer says No" when I try....not sure what I'm doing wrong :?
Grace Speaker

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 19, 2013 09:46 pm

Grace Speaker wrote::lol: Love these pics! I'd upload a pic of the nefarious sock burglar himself, but "the computer says No" when I try....not sure what I'm doing wrong :?

Grace you need to use some sort of photohosting site such as Photobucket. If you upload to there, you'll get a code that you can post o sites such as this one using the [IMG] tags. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 19, 2013 09:48 pm

How to shame a cat:

Tonyblack

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon May 20, 2013 09:51 pm

With my cat (adopted stray, not allowed in the house), it's pigeons. He'll eat half his food and walk away and pigeons will come and eat the rest, pooping all over the back porch. Although I will say he has brought us a couple of roof rats, I wish wish wish he'd go after those annoying pigeons and leave the smaller thrashers alone.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Tue May 21, 2013 05:01 pm

Grace, that's a great story! :lol: He totally deserved the treat.

Tony, I remember you posting that picture before, but I'd never heard the shower story. :lol: I probably would have had a heart attack.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 21, 2013 07:12 pm

Catch-up wrote:Grace, that's a great story! :lol: He totally deserved the treat.

Tony, I remember you posting that picture before, but I'd never heard the shower story. :lol: I probably would have had a heart attack.

I did manage to catch the lizard, but then, as I had no clothes on, it was a case of doing a streak to the front door and chucking it out. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue May 21, 2013 08:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I did manage to catch the lizard, but then, as I had no clothes on, it was a case of doing a streak to the front door and chucking it out. :lol:

Shouldn't that sentence start with "You're not going to believe this officer, but......." :lol:
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Tue May 21, 2013 09:24 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I did manage to catch the lizard, but then, as I had no clothes on, it was a case of doing a streak to the front door and chucking it out. :lol:

Shouldn't that sentence start with "You're not going to believe this officer, but......." :lol:

Well I think he might have needed a really good lawyer if the cat had damaged the reptile and an officer of the law had been nearby i could just imagine:-

"You're not going to believe this officer, but its Emily's fault i pulled the one eyed lizard out of the drain, she is the pussy that's been chasing it round the bath and I just had to come out here to release it before she bit it again" it could be construed as breaking obscure laws in some states sorry Tony and the memory of Mrs Slowcombe i could not resist with a feed line like that and a twisted imagination*1 IGMC :wink: :twisted:

*1 some pictures are better on the Radio or made using the written word but there are always exceptions to the rule :wink: :twisted:
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table