Discworld

The insanity of cats.....

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The insanity of cats.....

Postby Catch-up » Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 pm

He's a beauty! :D In the last picture, what is that he's in?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 24, 2013 01:17 pm

That's his bird/sock watching hide. :lol:
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 24, 2013 01:44 pm

Catch-up wrote:He's a beauty! :D In the last picture, what is that he's in?

I call it the Cat Cloister - it's an outdoor shelter I designed and made myself as nothing on the market came close to what I wanted. It sits about 5 foot off the ground with a scratching/climbing post underneath and a spiral staircase that leads up to it from a raised shelf. It has an enclosed sleeping area on the left with a window at the far end so they cat look out over the garden and an open Cloister gallery to the right with a clear plastic sheet at the front that can be removed when its not raining. All 3 of my cats love it and on warm days there's sometimes a squabble about who has the sleeping chamber although Oscar tends to win more often than not :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 24, 2013 03:00 pm

It's amazing Grace! . . . :oops: Sorry about that.

But it really is a brilliant idea and very professional looking. :thumbl:
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Fri May 24, 2013 03:32 pm

Such lucky kitties! :D I love it, you did an amazing job. Any way we could get a picture of the whole thing?
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 24, 2013 05:55 pm

Catch-up wrote:Such lucky kitties! :D I love it, you did an amazing job. Any way we could get a picture of the whole thing?

:D I'll see if I can find a better picture and impose upon Tony once more to upload it :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 24, 2013 07:16 pm

Catch-up wrote:Such lucky kitties! :D I love it, you did an amazing job. Any way we could get a picture of the whole thing?

Here you go :D Tabitha is the cat in the Cloister, guarding the inner sanctum from the dreaded Sock Eater creeping up the stairs......

Many thanks to Tony once again for uploading the photo for me :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Squigglyx » Fri May 24, 2013 08:11 pm

I reckon there could be a market for that. I'd get it patented quick if I was you :D
Squigglyx

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 25, 2013 11:10 am

It is certainly a most impressive structure. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 pm

That is so cool! Kitty heaven. :D Showed hubby and he was really impressed. Although I could tell it was a bit tempered by the worry that I'd ask him to make one. I agree with Squiggly, you could easily sell those.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 26, 2013 11:17 am

We had a revelation on the Kitten site last night. John, the foster dad, was checking on the kittens and giving Grant, the tabby, a supplemental feed (more about that later) when he was demonstrating how some of the kittens were happier to be picked up than others. Adam, with the Siamese markings is very relaxed at being picked up. But it was while handling Adam that John discovered that Adam was a madam! :lol:

At the young age these kittens are it was difficult to 'sex' them and what had looked like boy bits, where actually tufts of fur hiding girl bits. Adam is now being nicknamed 'Addie', and seems now the worse for the experience of having a sex change.

As to Grant, viewers and John had noticed that he seemed to be breathing faster than the others. That was a concern but not a worry, until he wasn't putting on weight and hence the need for extra feeding. It seems that Grant has a 'flat chest' rather than the oval one that cats normally have and was therefore finding it difficult to breathe. It's likely that this can be treated when he's a bit older, but for now it means that he may get tired quicker than the others. He's certainly feisty though and has now started to put some weight on.

The Kitten Cam is the best soap opera on the Internet at the moment. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 am

Tonyblack wrote:We had a revelation on the Kitten site last night. John, the foster dad, was checking on the kittens and giving Grant, the tabby, a supplemental feed (more about that later) when he was demonstrating how some of the kittens were happier to be picked up than others. Adam, with the Siamese markings is very relaxed at being picked up. But it was while handling Adam that John discovered that Adam was a madam! :lol:

At the young age these kittens are it was difficult to 'sex' them and what had looked like boy bits, where actually tufts of fur hiding girl bits. Adam is now being nicknamed 'Addie', and seems now the worse for the experience of having a sex change.

:lol: The same thing happened with one of mine! Tabitha went by the name of Rupert for the first 12 weeks of her life as she also had a dark furry patch that looked like boy bits. She was so feisty and fearless that it didn't occur to me to question the RSPCA's assertion that she was a boy (I have an adoption certificate to prove it) until the vet started laughing when I took her to have her vaccinations. No lasting emotional damage seems to have occurred as a result of her sexual identity crisis however :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Sharlene once had two Siamese siblings kittens that looked identical until the ones little boy bits appeared. She said that with his black tail in the air he looked like an exclamation mark from behind. :lol: :meow:
Tonyblack

Postby Basement » Tue May 28, 2013 08:20 am

Tonyblack wrote: Adam was a madam!

That's very close to what Mr Slant said when I told him the news last night; "Adam is a madam"! :lol:

Loving these kitties, and Addie has been my favourite from the start due to her colouring
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 28, 2013 08:41 am

She's a beauty, isn't she! :D
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table