Discworld

The insanity of cats.....

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The insanity of cats.....

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 08:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bless his little furry heart.
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jun 01, 2013 06:18 pm

OMG! :lol: Those are some serious hauls. I wonder what makes him pick some things over others?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 07:48 pm

Catch-up wrote:OMG! :lol: Those are some serious hauls. I wonder what makes him pick some things over others?
:D I wish I knew! Socks are definitely his favourite thing to steal - both from our washing and the unfortunate neighbours, but oddly enough he seems to also like very brightly coloured things, which is odd because cats are supposed to be colour blind. :?

I've always felt that cats in general only have the loosest of grips on sanity, but he is really is bonkers :meow:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 09:53 pm

WikiAnswers wrote:
Are cats colorblind?

Answer:

No, they are not color blind. They see some colors, but not all colors. And they see colors differently than humans do.

Cats seem to be able to distinguish between higher frequency colors, meaning cats respond to the colors purple, blue, green and possibly yellow range. Red, orange and brown colors appear to fall outside cats color range and are most likely seen as shades of grey or purple.

Purple, blue and green appear to be the strongest colors perceived by cats. Tests suggest cats can distinguish between more shades or levels of gray than can humans.
Tonyblack

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 09:45 am

Well that explains a lot! I can't even remember how or why I thought they were colour blind, now I come to think about it... :roll:

Now if I can just teach him to recognise the colour difference between a £10 and a £50 pound note ....... :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:17 am

He shouldn't have a problem with purple £20s :wink:

I'd always been told they were colour-blind as well. But I think it was mentioned they weren't on QI.
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Last night was another busy night for the dreaded Phantom of the Sock Drawer - as a result of last night's nocturnal thievery, I was greeted this morning by:
    1 man's sock, knee length, black
    1 pigeon feather, large
    1 bit of animal bone, unidentifiable
    1 child's gardening glove, yellow (the matching glove to the one 'captured' a few days ago)
    1 plastic carrier bag, Tesco
I have tried my best to convince him of my preference for cash or jewellery, but so far without success....any advice will be very welcome :lol:

Obviously in cat speak a mans sock just refers to male , yellow glove means marigold patch, carrier bag means with a carrier bag, pigeon feather is obviously pilot, and animal bone must mean "buried in the"

So your cat is trying to tell you there is a male pilot buried in the marigold patch with a carrier bag :?

Sorry Tony's earlier post just reminded me of the red dwarf episode where they celebrated Rimmer's death day
Square12

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 09:43 am

Square12 wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Last night was another busy night for the dreaded Phantom of the Sock Drawer - as a result of last night's nocturnal thievery, I was greeted this morning by:
    1 man's sock, knee length, black
    1 pigeon feather, large
    1 bit of animal bone, unidentifiable
    1 child's gardening glove, yellow (the matching glove to the one 'captured' a few days ago)
    1 plastic carrier bag, Tesco
I have tried my best to convince him of my preference for cash or jewellery, but so far without success....any advice will be very welcome :lol:

Obviously in cat speak a mans sock just refers to male , yellow glove means marigold patch, carrier bag means with a carrier bag, pigeon feather is obviously pilot, and animal bone must mean "buried in the"

So your cat is trying to tell you there is a male pilot buried in the marigold patch with a carrier bag :?

Sorry Tony's earlier post just reminded me of the red dwarf episode where they celebrated Rimmer's death day

:lol: :lol: I'd be happier if he was trying to tell me that there was a carrier bag full of gold buried somewhere......
He hasn't brought any 'treasures' home for a few nights - which probably means he's been staking out the site of his next sock burglary......some poor unsuspecting person who thinks their socks are safe..... :meow:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Square! :lol:

How did they even manage to test what colors cats can see? :?
Catch-up

Postby cliftos2000 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 am

As our two aren't allowed out of the house, they have to make do with playing fetch with my undergarments. And they do it in teams. Poppy (the smaller of the two) opens my sock drawer and removes all the contents to the floor. Erwin then announces his treasure find to the world in a very vocal manner and trots downstairs to bring us a pair of freshly killed socks.

Admittedly, when Lisa cut her finger once he did come down with a box of plasters, so it's not all bad...
And so he says to me, you want to be a bad guy? and I say Yeah Baby! I want to be bad! I says Surf's up space ponies,I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!

SPOOOOOON!
cliftos2000

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 09:08 am

cliftos2000 wrote:As our two aren't allowed out of the house, they have to make do with playing fetch with my undergarments. And they do it in teams. Poppy (the smaller of the two) opens my sock drawer and removes all the contents to the floor. Erwin then announces his treasure find to the world in a very vocal manner and trots downstairs to bring us a pair of freshly killed socks.

Admittedly, when Lisa cut her finger once he did come down with a box of plasters, so it's not all bad...

:lol: :lol: Sounds like your Erwin would get on like a house on fire with my Oscar :wink: What is it about socks that cats seem to love so much? Is it the cheesy feet smell do you think? :)
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 04:19 pm

Found a wing not attached to its owner on the porch.

My cat has really been at the birds lately, but oddly enough not the @#$% pigeons who eat his food! he takes like 3 bites and walks away, and the pigeons eat the rest! He's going to starve if he can't be bothered to mind his food dish. And then he meows at me like I don't feed him enough.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby cliftos2000 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 07:27 pm

Grace Speaker wrote: :lol: :lol: Sounds like your Erwin would get on like a house on fire with my Oscar :wink: What is it about socks that cats seem to love so much? Is it the cheesy feet smell do you think? :)

If it wasn't for his perpetual identity crisis, where he assumes he's a dog, I'd agree with you. As to feet, Poppy makes a beeline for my cycling trainers after I come home of an evening. Brave? or Stupid?
And so he says to me, you want to be a bad guy? and I say Yeah Baby! I want to be bad! I says Surf's up space ponies,I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!

SPOOOOOON!
cliftos2000

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 07:59 pm

cliftos2000 wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote: :lol: :lol: Sounds like your Erwin would get on like a house on fire with my Oscar :wink: What is it about socks that cats seem to love so much? Is it the cheesy feet smell do you think? :)

If it wasn't for his perpetual identity crisis, where he assumes he's a dog, I'd agree with you. As to feet, Poppy makes a beeline for my cycling trainers after I come home of an evening. Brave? or Stupid?

When it comes to cats, I think the answer is that they're just plain Weird.......I used to have a boy cat who, despite having had the snip, was a randy bugger and used to rape blusher brushes :lol: I promise I'm not making it up - he used to steal the bloody things out of a zipped make-up bag, make off under the bed and then have his wicked way with it .....dirty devil! I can't tell you how many blusher brushes I went through before I finally found a hiding place he couldn't open as I certainly wasn't prepared to use them again......yeuuch! Mind you, he then moved on to paintbrushes.......
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Thu Jun 13, 2013 06:23 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-22886852

At least your cat hasn't made national news...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table