Discworld

What's in a name?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby Zencore » Tue Jul 26, 2005 05:50 pm

Catch-up wrote: Susie however is grounds for a fist fight. SusieQ will get you on the Assassination List.

Heh, my wife is the same way with all our children's names. Don't you DARE change Jonathan to Johny, or Thomas to Tommy - etc. She is very, very adamant about that. Jonathan has been shortened to Jon by more than a few people, but other than that she’s pretty much kept the “y”’s out of our kids names.
"They felt, in fact, tremendously bucked-up, which was how Lady Ramkin would almost certainly have put it and which was definitely several letters of the alphabet away from how they normally felt."
Zencore

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:05 am

unohoo wrote:
Catch-up wrote:My name is Susanne, pronounced Suzanne, but apparently spelled the "proper French way." My mother's hospital roommate when I was born was French and when she heard what I was getting named asked my mother to please not spell it with a Z. She liked the idea. It gets spelled with a Z frequently or pronounced Susan. If it's from someone I really like, I don't mind Susan or Sue too much, although it may take me awhile to realize you're talking to me. Susie however is grounds for a fist fight. SusieQ will get you on the Assassination List.

My maiden name is Gothrup and I've been told that it's English, I've also been told that it's German. I don't know. Although a cousin who's looking into our geneaology says it looks like our ancestors came over from England.

*takes note of Suki's preferences*

:P :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:05 am

Darren wrote:Now now, be nice to dear Soo ;).

:P To you too! :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:08 am

Zencore wrote:
Catch-up wrote: Susie however is grounds for a fist fight. SusieQ will get you on the Assassination List.

Heh, my wife is the same way with all our children's names. Don't you DARE change Jonathan to Johny, or Thomas to Tommy - etc. She is very, very adamant about that. Jonathan has been shortened to Jon by more than a few people, but other than that she’s pretty much kept the “y”’s out of our kids names.

It's really hard to pick a baby name and be happy with all the nicknames people might come up with. We named our first child Ava, which no-one should be able to shorten, but I'm sure someone will manage. And our youngest Vivian, which can of course be shortened to Vivi, Viv or Vi. Vivi I'm ok with, the others I'm not. But what can you do?
Catch-up

Postby Statsman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 05:52 am

Deliberately wehnt with short names for the kids. Thne daughter's Megan Sian which can be shortened to Meg & does mainly but usually it's Oi You/ Blondie :wink: . The son is Sam Edward & is often referred to as Little Man or Noisy. :roll: :lol:
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby Mooresey » Wed Jul 27, 2005 07:09 am

My mum picked a name that could not be shortened and was shocked and confused when I started getting called Mooresey at school. She said to me she had picked a short name so it could not get shortened and people just extended your surname. :roll:
Mooresey

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 07:26 am

My kids are Katherine, which we picked knowing (hoping?) it would be shortened to Katie. Patrick has resolutley remained Patrick at home, (it's confusing enough as it is) but I've overheard some of his school mates call him "Patch".
Pat
Monitor

Postby rentawitch » Wed Jul 27, 2005 08:15 am

No, if you were from Walthamstow or round that way you would be
Dal
pron. more like Daow

Morning Dal!
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby Rincewind the Wizzard » Wed Jul 27, 2005 06:10 pm

unohoo wrote:It is a poor state of affairs when a laydee gets upset by compliments.

I know, it is.
Rincewind the Wizzard

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Jul 27, 2005 07:39 pm

My parents picked a name that they thought wouldn't get shortened, and that one of their friends had called their pet dog. Being the patriotic type (read here awkward) they went with the English spelling of Kirstie, an opposed to the Scottish one of Kirsty.

A fortnight after my christening, one of my Dads mates, who they hadn't seen for a while arrived with his new puppy... No prizes for guessing what she was called. And though out my school life I was 'Kirst'. :x

Classy, eh :wink:
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby alohura » Wed Jul 27, 2005 08:31 pm

My parents also wanted a name that nobody would shorten, it was my mum who started calling me AJ.....
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Location: Small town in Northamptonshire that nobody has ever heard of.

Postby Draco Nobilis » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:35 am

My wife and I wanted to name our baby girl Zaina which means beautiful in arabic. However some people pointed that it sounded awfully closer to zina which means 'adultery'. So we went to the second choice, and now she is Marium :) .
Draco Nobilis

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table