Discworld

Broken Drummers.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Broken Drummers.

Postby phazedout » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:10 pm

chrisboote wrote:
DrummerLady wrote:This should give you some idea of what to expect with Chris' quiz next month.

Accuracy, specificity, and a rather alluring attention to detail?

I must say chris, i've never met somebody who spells annoying that way
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Stibbons » Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:29 pm

Drummers is NOT on today (monday) due to the rail strike. It will however be on tomorrow (tuesday 10th) though, at the Monkey Puzzle near Paddington from 6ish onwards
We'll keep the turtle moving.
Stibbons

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:54 pm

Stibbons wrote:Drummers is NOT on today (monday) due to the rail strike. It will however be on tomorrow (tuesday 10th) though, at the Monkey Puzzle near Paddington from 6ish onwards
Hope to see everyone tomorrow :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Mon Jan 09, 2017 06:12 pm

Big Hugs to anyone forced to try moving in London today - looks atrocious from news piccies.

Sorry I won't be back (I am NOT looking for work in London again!)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jan 09, 2017 06:44 pm

Can't make tomorrow, sadly :(
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Basement » Tue Jan 10, 2017 09:53 am

Won't be able to make it today; got first read through and casting for my next play
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby DrummerLady » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 am

This week's meeting was anomalous. First, it was off-schedule as the first Monday would have been Monday 2nd, the day after New Year, a bank holiday AND the day before everyone went back to work. In other words, a day hardly anyone would come. So it was put back a week; nothing strange there, we often reschedule to avoid clashes with Discworld events. Then came the train strike, we've weathered these before but this one was closing the whole of zone 1. Paddington underground was closed and I couldn't find out if Edgware Road was open or not. So I did something that I have never done before: I rescheduled at short notice. Worse, I moved it to a TUESDAY.

In the 12+ years that Drummers has been going, we have always had the main meeting on a Monday. We've had auxiliary meetings on other days but they were as well as, not instead of, a Monday night. As it turned out, many people, including Chris, our quizmaster, sent apologies that they could not make it. Perhaps the whole Tuesday thing was too much!

It turned out OK in the end, though. We had a small turnout but it included 3 newbies. Sarah, Taz and Chris J. I had done a last minute quiz in which all the questions were subjective. I asked about people's favourite things and what attracted them to Drummers. I wasn't sure how well it would work but it proved a great ice-breaker for the newcomers and we had some interesting discussions. The question of what constituted a series within the series was especially controversial. There were no points, there were no winners so it was the easiest quiz ever, even easier than the one on "Where's My Cow?"

Next meeting is Monday 6th February. That's back to first Mondays and we should be sticking with that all year apart from May, when it will go back a week to avoid a clash with the Wincanton event.
DrummerLady

Postby Stibbons » Sat Feb 04, 2017 03:47 pm

The Broken Drummers meets on Monday 6th of Feb at the Monkey Puzzle in Sussex Gardens near Paddington. The "official" start is at 7pm but there are normally people there from 6pm. Thankfully the tube strike is off so shouldn't be any trouble getting there.
Stibbons

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 05:15 pm

Stibbons wrote:The Broken Drummers meets on Monday 6th of Feb at the Monkey Puzzle in Sussex Gardens near Paddington. The "official" start is at 7pm but there are normally people there from 6pm. Thankfully the tube strike is off so shouldn't be any trouble getting there.

I've written a quiz for the delectation and general puzzlement of the ladies and gentlemen of the Drummers - the subject is "In the Black"
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Stibbons » Sat Apr 01, 2017 07:55 am

Broken Drummers is on Monday 3rd April, 7.00pm at the Monkey Puzzle near Paddington (although someone is usually there from 6 onwards). All welcome, Helen and I hope to be there, Chris is hoping to do the quiz, but don't let that put you off.
Stibbons

Postby chrisboote » Mon Apr 03, 2017 01:10 pm

Quiz written (took all of twelve minutes ;) - plus another twenty checking my answers are correct) so it's an easy one (with a couple of stinkers, of course)
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 02:21 pm

chrisboote wrote:Quiz written (took all of twelve minutes ;) - plus another twenty checking my answers are correct) so it's an easy one (with a couple of stinkers, of course)
You haven't been baking anything delicious again by any chance . . . ? She asked hopefully :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Mon Apr 03, 2017 04:00 pm

Actually, yes - a bunch of Saffie dishes

Piri piri chicken liver pate
Ostrich boboti
Lamb Malay curry
Smoked salmon and avacado parcels
Malva pudding biscuits

But they were all so delicious they're either gone already or safely in the freezer :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Mon Apr 03, 2017 04:01 pm

And I'm here already, and the volume is quiet enough for people to hear Troll Bridge ... ;)
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Mon Apr 03, 2017 04:03 pm

chrisboote wrote:And I'm here already, and the volume is quiet enough for people to hear Troll Bridge ... ;)

Or you could bring headphones...
chrisboote

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table