Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Nov 06, 2018 04:33 pm

Voted! Now to watch the outcomes. I will be refreshing my browser tonight every 30 seconds once the results start coming in.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 05:24 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Voted! Now to watch the outcomes. I will be refreshing my browser tonight every 30 seconds once the results start coming in.

Well done that woman!!! :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:
We'll be watching the results with a keen interest this side of the pond too!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Penners » Wed Nov 07, 2018 09:17 am

I was watching on BBC News over here right up until around 2:30 am when I could no longer keep my eyes open. I still haven't had a proper look at the results.
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:44 am

Penners wrote:I was watching on BBC News over here right up until around 2:30 am when I could no longer keep my eyes open. I still haven't had a proper look at the results.
Short version: The Democrats now have control of the House, but the Republicans still have control of the Senate.
It's a step in the right direction, although not as big a step as many of us hoped but at least now the Democrats are in a better position to put the breaks on Trump bulldozing his way through the rest of his term in office
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 05:22 pm

Yeah, because the House runs the oversight committees. Slate has a good roundup of the new heads of committees and what it means for orangeboy: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eller.html

Locally, my Senate seat is too close to call :( but my congressional House district flipped to Democrat :D also the superintendent of schools is currently too close to call and many of the state legislative seats haven't been called yet either. There were 5 laws on my ballot and only one of them went the way I wanted, but at least it was the one I felt the most strongly about.

So it's a mixed bag, but it's nice to see AZ more evenly split between the parties. Used to be a pretty conservative state, but that's starting to change.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Nov 14, 2018 07:07 pm

WOOT for my senate racing turning out for the Democrat! First Dem Senator from AZ in 30 years, first woman Senator from AZ ever. I'm stoked. She's a centrist, which is okay; not as liberal as I would like but anything is better than the Trump stooge she was running against.

Also superintendent of schools turned out Dem, if you like creationism in the classroom you're SOL.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 pm

:thumbl: :thumbl: I was going to try to embed a kickline gif, but perhaps a karate kick would be better. :lol: :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Congrats to AZ!! I was so excited to see that news! Michigan went largely blue. We didn't get everything we wanted, but I'll take it!
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 01:28 pm

It ain't over yet - there's still re-counts going on!

The demographics of the incoming members elect speaks volumes:
GOP: 30 men, 1 woman, 100% white
Dems: 18 men, 22 women (including 2 in their 20's), with almost half being people of colour

We've still got to wait to January, but I'm looking forward to the fireworks once the Dems take control of the house and start demanding Trump's tax-returns, etc. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Meanwhile, this side of the pond we've got the spectacle of the Brexit deal to get apoplectic about today . . . watching the news and PM's question time in Parliament today, I don't know whether to shout, laugh, cry . . . or make popcorn :evil:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Thu Nov 15, 2018 05:31 pm

Advice to anyone who knows a parrot:

Do not watch politicians "discussing" anything (including the colour of the sky) when sitting next to a parrot.

Apparently the monkeys flinging faeces, jumping up and down and shouting at the TOP OF THEIR VOICES needs a parrot to get involved.

PMQs get a high volume commentary (along with aggression displays - mainly triggered by Corbyn!). It's not too bad when the 'real' questions are asked (things like asking why sick child isn't getting meds) the "respected members of parliament" can use their indoor voices and talk instead of doing primate aggression displays.

I am impressed by some of the new politicians in the US admitting they cannot afford to rent in the Capital - they're starting out being honest to the electorate. Just have to hope they remember where they came from once they are accustomed to the system and able to make changes.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Had an issue with my right leg,which has involved visits to :
Company nurse
Doctors
Practice nurse
And finally hospital for a blood test
Treatment has started,progress depends on what the blood test says.
Having dyspraxia means i like a nice routine to follow,that`s gone through the shredder this week,which has caused me a lot of anxiety.
Going to have a lazy day and replenish my fluid levels,by drinking tea and reading
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Sandra » Sat Nov 17, 2018 07:01 pm

Good luck on the 'what's happening this time'. Being over two years into the process - next step being a skull to pelvis spinal CT - I have a lot of empathy for you.

Hopefully you get a clear result with an easily implemented treatment, I've got to the point that even if they don't get a diagnosis I will be demanding retraining on how to live with my symptoms.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby steeljam » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Busy day.
Teaching Scratch to four 8 year-olds at the local library. Very enjoyable, seeing them understand the code and how it works.
Train to Charing Cross then walked to Forbidden Planet for a signing by Ben Aaronovitch; new book "Lies Sleeping" plus a couple of graphic novels collections.
Met with Frank the Younger and had a bowl of soup in the crypt of St Martin's in the Fields; I still find it amazing that this church was in a rural area when it was built.
Now it gets complicated.
Charing Cross to Greenwich for the Cutty Sark via Lewisham to pick up the new signed Ian Rankin novel "In the House of Lies" and "Cunk on Everything" by Philomena Cink.
The back up the DLR to Lewisham and onto Blackheath to pick up a signed copy of "lies Sleeping" and the new Lee Child Jack Reacher novel "Past Tense".
Next job to go shopping for tonight's dinner; breaded pork chops with harish potatoes and steam veg.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Sandra » Mon Nov 19, 2018 03:58 pm

You know when someone has played too many RPG's - they go around pointing out loose cobbles and instead of complaining of a trip hazard they start wondering if there is treasure underneath and find that someone pointing to the 'red potion for health' (discarded half bottle of Dr Pepper) hilarious...

But when the same person tells you to plan driving about on Wednesday to gain EXP in the new car... coz you're level 1 in automatics (I disagree I had a test drive {ding} and I have rented automatics so I must be at least a level 10 by now...)

I know the lingo but don't play the ruddy things!
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Sandra » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:32 am

I 'think' I might be coming to terms with this - I got a diagnosis!

For nearly three years I have been slightly worrying about the funny symptoms - got checked for diabetes, thyroid and MS (odd mix) before finally finding a Neurologist this week who decided it was something I hadn't heard of. And it looks like few GPs will have heard of it (or if they have - accept it). But the more I read up on it the more it explains what I am going through.

FND - basically my brain doesn't interpret signals right - for me - I get numb patches (hence the scary stuff they tested for) no 'pins and needles' but three years ago I was bitten by a parrot and IT DIDN'T HURT (watching for infection was interesting). Now I already have FMS and the two really mix weird.

If I feel pain the FMS sends the gain up to stupid levels - but that is now 'if' as the FND is stopping me feeling pain...... (for those who have chronic pain - I do get the rest, the stuff behind the pain - the can't think and the 'don't move it' warning as well as waves of exhaustion)

I do not know if this is a win.

Downside - both have brain fog, exhaustion, sleeping problems, digestive problems, excessive pain (and others) in common and is (like FMS) seen by some people as "imaginary"
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table