Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Sandra » Sun Nov 05, 2017 08:50 pm

You do realise that if you wrote that up as a short story it's never get published as it would be seen as too outlandish...

Even Mr Bean would take a week for that much!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 09:14 pm

Sandra wrote:You do realise that if you wrote that up as a short story it's never get published as it would be seen as too outlandish...

Even Mr Bean would take a week for that much!
:lol:
Ha! I left out the bit about being accosted in Tesco by an elderly gentleman insisting that I show him where 'the yellow cake' is, while brandishing his walking stick at me! It went something like this:

Him: 'You! Yes, you. Do you know where the yellow cake is?'
Me: 'Er. The cakes are behind you on those shelves there. What sort of cake are you looking for?'
Him: 'No not those. I want the yellow cake. You know yellow cake?'
Me: 'Er no, I'm not sure which cake you mean. Is it Mr Kipling?'
Him: 'No!! It's yellow cake! I want yellow cake! Where is the yellow cake?'
Me: 'Erm, I'm sorry, I don't know' I said, beginning to edge away nervously
Him: 'They hide it you know . . .'
Me: 'Erm . . . perhaps you could ask that man over there?' pointing at someone who is hopefully staff.
Him: ' Has he got yellow cake? Hey, you there - I want yellow cake. Where is the yellow cake?'
Man: 'The cakes are behind you, sir . . . '

I made my escape to the next aisle and then checkout. Never did find out if he found his yellow cake . . .
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Oh, and did I mention that the drunk bloke playing the trumpet wasn't wearing any trousers?

A WTF-Is-Going-On? Day . . . definitely a WTF-Is-Going-On? Day
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Ha! I left out the bit about being accosted in Tesco by an elderly gentleman insisting that I show him where 'the yellow cake' is,

You do know what yellowcake is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowcake
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Ha! I left out the bit about being accosted in Tesco by an elderly gentleman insisting that I show him where 'the yellow cake' is,

You do know what yellowcake is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowcake
:lol: Yes I do, and while it's possible that he could have been an escaped particle physicist, I'm reasonably certain that the elderly gentleman* was looking for some sort of edible baked goods rather than the radioactive kind.

* I use the term loosely, given that he was brandishing a walking stick at me while demanding brightly coloured pastry
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Mon Nov 06, 2017 01:10 am

Nah, you're just too trusting :lol:
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 01:43 am

chrisboote wrote:Nah, you're just too trusting :lol:
:lol: it's possible ... especially given the other weirdness going on!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Squigglyx » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 pm

I must admit i was expecting to see this as the last line........

.....and then I woke up :)
Squigglyx

Postby Basement » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Been an up and down week. Won't say roller-coaster as that implies extremes but it started well (Mr Slant's graduation ceremony for his masters in Astrophysics with distinction. I'm very proud. Oh, and moving forward with the solicitors on the purchase of our house). Then on Tuesday finding that my car has been heavily keyed again, most likely by someone who seems to think that a visitor's car parking space at Mr Slant's block of flats is there for their own personal use (I've had snotty notes left on my car before). And having a shitty journey into work and then home again. Yesterday was a bit better but today I found out that I failed the exam I took in October but was within 5 marks of passing. Oh and just now, an email for more information for our potential mortgage lender on payments out of my bank account, they've only had the bank statements for about 4 weeks so not long... :evil:

I want to feel Christmassy but what with my maternal grandmother having had a stroke earlier in the month and now no longer being able to look after herself at all so having been moved into a home and my maternal great aunt being unwell and house bound, and my paternal grandmother very unhappy due to the embuggerance, I'm feeling rather bah humbug like.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Sandra » Thu Dec 21, 2017 02:56 pm

I'm slugging away at this 'Christmas' lark, I think I got a few things going wrong...

The month started well - tree up, presents wrapped and off the 'to do' list first weekend of the month...Great day out at Lincoln Christmas market (missed the cancelled day by going early) Getting food ordered or bought early...

MiL having problems breathing and finally managed to get the GP to consider her cancer treatments may be relevant and after antibiotics fail (again) gets an x-ray... gets phoned up that she's got shadows... cat scan - get phoned up it's cancerous... Oncologist cannot get her a prescription directly as she had been signed off due to her earlier caner being OK, GP is refusing to give her a prescription... even then it'll be a long drive to find a real pharmacy as the local one has decided to only to drugs to order - not helpful if you can't wait a couple of days... then she fell on her replaced hips, and even in A&E cannot be given a prescription of steroids so she can breathe...

Not going to see my family this year unless they appear at the door - Oh little brother will stop by on way to Mum's - no he won't (on call) - yes he will be they'll be late he's landing at 6am... (Pilots :roll: )

So the plan is that we get a quiet xmas - in laws turn up after christmas for a buffet here - on Weds - no oncolocgy appointment - thurs - no getting her hip checked - friday? maybe.

My 'to do list' is almost finished - cake decorated (minus tree - it's too tall for the box), cranberry jam made (pans in the dish washer), raspberry trifle getting further and further away (it's for the party) but the black forest trifle will now be started tomorrow... (Adrian won't share).

Now I have to start cleaning up for the arrival of 14-moth old niece tomorrow (after her Dad lands, gets home, drives over) before she goes to my Mum's for the weekend. De-parrot-toy the house (everything will go in her mouth), make sure the birds are ready - the cockateil will sit on her hand while Merry is scared of touching her (but then Merry is big enough to hurt her if she gets scared), try stopping her unwrapping the wrong presents (not that she understands yet - but wrapping paper!)

I was going to say - at least no-one will have equal grief - but then on this site we all know that that's not going to be true. Here's hoping no one gets more than they can cope with - even if you really wished you never have to test your limits!
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Sandra » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 pm

I really shouldn't have tempted the Universe.

The evening after the above post - MiL has 'Stroke' goes to Hospital over night Thurs/Fri... gets treated pretty good but still doesn't get her steroids until Saturday evening (7 complaints later). After headaches has 3 scans (daily over the weekend) We get daily reports that she's not doing too badly...

Oddly enough Christmas isn't that good a day. Though the older niece and nephew like what I made them for Christmas.

By Boxing day MiL is still convinced she'll be up on Friday - I blame the 'bed-blocking team' that tried to get rid of her before Christmas. Oncologist refuses to let her off the ward (visits the ward instead) Her lungs are untreatable lung cancer - her stroke may have been triggered or was the symptoms of the newly discovered brain tumour, physio team due Friday arrived Thursday (6 days late :? ) tells her she isn't getting out of bed any time soon. She demands everyone else has a party anyway.

(What happened Friday here doesn't count but I do not want Adrian's brother to visit EVER AGAIN!!!) - MiL gets bullied by OT who dictate she doesn't need any help in going home while FiL is at our house.

Hopefully we have a quieter weekend - visiting my Mum tomorrow.

New Year will have a solicitor getting asked to speed up the purchase of the bungalow the in-laws so desperately need (part through so shouldn't be long now), MiL is determined to visit as soon as she gets out (100 miles each way).

Adrian is almost tempted to go on Twitter to do a #ruinedchristmas - but to complain that were fighting today over who got the extra sausage in the tin of baked beans and sausages we had for lunch (it was the best bit of the last ten days)
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Dec 31, 2017 05:43 pm

Sorry you're having it rough. I can't offer anything but a *hug*.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Sun Dec 31, 2017 07:36 pm

Heading out to see John Oliver live at the Hippodrome in Baltimore with friends for New Years. It will be warm and hilarious.

Happy New Year all you lovely people! :D :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Cara » Sun Dec 31, 2017 08:41 pm

Sending hugs to Sandra and all who need or want one.
My beautiful bunny Parsley has been battling a chronic health problem for a while (X-rays and blood tests a fortnight ago were inconclusive) but on Thursday he took a sudden turn for the worse and despite rushing him to the vets who put him on a drip and did everything they could, he passed away within a couple of hours. I can't believe that I've lost my two adorable bunnies within the space of 4 months and will be starting the new year without them. Little Willow bunny is very unsettled without Parsley, but at least that means I get extra bunny cuddles with her. She'll be 6 months old at the start of January so at least we can now get her spayed and once she's recovered find her a new bunny to snuggle with.
Cara

Postby Sandra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 pm

Hugs back for all. And more for the bunny

Lovely couple of hours with my family... Nice and short, keeps things sweet. (I even managed to find my Mum's boyfriend a xmas present he liked!!!)

And to make things even better - I got things I liked! So did Adrian!! So now I get to try making cream horns (got the moulds) and eclairs (moulded baking sheet both from Mum) while tomorrow we watch the new version of Shada (my Mum has sense to ask what he would like) while Adrian gets to drink tea from his new Star Wars mugs (SiL)

Meanwhile MiL got a visit from Macmillan - they told her to ignore the OT people and arranged for her to be accompanied to another hospital by FiL for proton beam therapy. Sounds like they got a great Nurse there! Only a few more days and the 'grown ups' get back to work.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table