Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby steeljam » Tue May 06, 2014 09:05 pm

New thread - now we are now sprung
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby steeljam » Tue May 06, 2014 09:17 pm

We got some new bedroom draw units a few weeks ago and now want to paint the existing bedside units the same colour.
Took a piece to B&Q but the scanner didn't work on such a small sample.
Today I took down a whole draw but it turns out the scanner is faulty.
After working through the Dulux colour charts I finally selected the best colour in silk.
Having spend many hours working on my photos I know just how difficult colour matching is.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Rabelasian » Tue May 06, 2014 09:57 pm

Spent a big chunk of the weekend listing stuff on The Other Place because I have more stuff than space and it was a free listing weekend.

You can tell your small child feels neglected when she spontaneously runs up to you, gives you a big hug and a kiss and says "I love you".
I felt a bit mean about the amount of time I was devoting to other things but I still passed her over to my husband so I could get on with it. :oops:

I made it up to her today by spending all day with her, we went for a walk and we did some painting together - out in the garden where she can make as much mess as she wants. :lol: After that she got to watch some Sarah and Duck.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Rabelasian

Postby steeljam » Tue May 06, 2014 11:04 pm

Rabelasian wrote:Spent a big chunk of the weekend listing stuff on The Other Place because I have more stuff than space and it was a free listing weekend.
You can tell your small child feels neglected when she spontaneously runs up to you, gives you a big hug and a kiss and says "I love you".
I felt a bit mean about the amount of time I was devoting to other things but I still passed her over to my husband so I could get on with it. :oops:
I made it up to her today by spending all day with her, we went for a walk and we did some painting together - out in the garden where she can make as much mess as she wants. :lol: After that she got to watch some Sarah and Duck.
Don't feel bad. Giving yourself space makes being together more special; as long as being together is one to one. Your daughter obviously understands.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Alan » Wed May 07, 2014 03:22 pm

car passed MOT,all taxed and legal,feeling very happy to be mobile again :D
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Rabelasian » Wed May 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Just finished making coconut muffins - too hot to eat but too good not to.

Well worth getting a burned tongue for. :D
Rabelasian

Postby phazedout » Thu May 08, 2014 07:07 am

more how was my week really.

As I posted in the aargh thread, I had abnomrally (but not aprently dangerously) high blood pressure (around 173/110) on Friday. They didn't give me medication but sent me home with a BP monitor and told me to take it twice in the morning and twice in the evening with a two minute gap between. This shocked me (the bp reading, not the instrucitons) so I made instant diet changes, gone are the 200g of salty snackfoods a night, gone is refined sugar, gone is bread and indeed almost all wheat. This morning, admitedly not long after I woke up so possibly not a consistent reading, I got 115/90 :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: .

Aditionally the dietary changes have dropped 3.5 kilos off me in the aforesaid week with no other lifestyle swaps, just an alteration of diet. I have had some dizzy spells but that is just metabolic adjustment. I am still probably 25 pounds/12 kilos overweight (currently 96.8 aiming for 85) but if I can get down to 90 and hold it there I will be mostly happy.

Food is, I feel, my final battle, having quite smoking and drinking I knew Iw as eating terribly but this blood pressure reading brought it home to me, if I want to live, I need to change my habits.

So, a ways to go yet but I am on the road, one addiction left.
Alan
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Alan » Thu May 08, 2014 04:38 pm

Finally found a short sleeved jersey to replace the one that was cut off me when I was admitted to hospital,went for a help for heroes number.
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Rabelasian » Sun May 11, 2014 06:39 pm

Lousy day. Sinus headache from the moment I woke up, feeling foggy headed and stuffy all day long. Bleh!

Wouldn't have been too bad but I had it all day yesterday as well.

Abandoned small child duties to the husband and lolled in bed until almost 11am (which doesn't happen very often) then bumbled about the house all day not really accomplishing anything.
Rabelasian

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon May 12, 2014 04:27 am

Best Mother's Day EVER. Champagne brunch at the Ritz with MIL, nap, kite flying with kids on a lovely day, board game with kids, sewing projects, call with Mom, dinner out. I couldn't have designed a better day. And I'm the luckiest Mom ever! Also my husband gave me roses and wine. <3
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Rabelasian » Fri May 16, 2014 01:55 pm

Following a poor night's sleep due to a restless, probably too warm, small child it's not been a bad day but it's slightly annoying at the moment that I can't continue with what I was doing because the child has run off with it...

Can't make more flowers because she steals them, can't make more butterfly hair slides (like she's wearing) because she'll steal them, can't do a damn thing while she's around - damned annoying small child! :evil:

Cute though :D
Rabelasian

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri May 16, 2014 02:53 pm

Yeah, cuteness has powers that should be listed among the laws of physics.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Basement » Thu Jun 12, 2014 02:50 pm

My Dad has just retired. And I mean just; he walked out of the office for the last time less than 5 minutes ago. I has a sad. I have sat next to him at work for the last 5 years. I'm not a fan of my job particularly and my Dad has been the support that has kept me willing to keep coming in, not that he knows that. I'm trying very hard not to break into tears. :(
Last edited by Basement on Fri Jun 13, 2014 08:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Jun 12, 2014 05:03 pm

Aw. *hugz*
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steeljam » Thu Jun 12, 2014 05:16 pm

Basement wrote:My Dad has just retirement. And I mean just; he walkedout of the office for the last time less than 5 minutes ago. I has a sad. I have sat next to him at work for the last 5 years. I'm not a fan of my job particularly and my Dad has been the support that has kept me willing to keep coming in, not that he knows that. I'm trying very hard not to break into tears. :(
Wasn't this taking the Take your Child to Work day scheme a bit far?
Sorry to hear he has retired. I assume he didn't want to.
I was Retired last August and all my applications for jobs have disappeared into a black hole.
steeljam
Monitor

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table