Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:58 pm

phazedout wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:Thanks for the ideas, all! I'll get a cup of stars one way or another :D

Is this so you can, at coffee time, hold it up and say in a suitably awe struck voice "Oh my god, it's full of stars"?

Hello ((((DAVE))))
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Gaspode » Fri Jul 21, 2017 09:06 pm

Whos Wee Dug wrote:
phazedout wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:Thanks for the ideas, all! I'll get a cup of stars one way or another :D

Is this so you can, at coffee time, hold it up and say in a suitably awe struck voice "Oh my god, it's full of stars"?

Hello ((((DAVE))))

Open the pod bay doors HAL I need coffee.

IM SORRY DAVE, IM AFRAID I CANT DO THAT..........
Gaspode

Postby chrisboote » Fri Jul 21, 2017 09:58 pm

Dave needed to deal with HAL the way Zaphod dealt with Eddie

" Computer, if you don't open that exit hatch pretty damn pronto, I shall go straight to your major data banks with a very large axe and give you a reprogramming you will never forget. Capisco? "
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Jul 22, 2017 01:10 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why yes

It's actually a statement that I am weird because it keeps magic in my life, and I don't care to be trapped into being like everyone else, thank you very much.

I feel that way at work sometimes, because people only seem to talk about sports, TV shows, and barbeques.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Sat Jul 22, 2017 03:19 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:people only seem to talk about sports, TV shows, and barbeques.
Hold the phone! How does your office in Arizona manage to be just down the hall from mine in Maryland? :?: :?: Although I might enjoy a discussion of barbeques as a diversion from sports and (bad) television. :roll: :roll:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Jul 22, 2017 08:16 pm

Seriously! I am so used to being around you lot and my other weird local friends that I keep forgetting I'm actually not normal. I'm not sure anyone in my office even reads much at all.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 04:27 pm

Bit of a shock this morning,i`m off to my new job tomorrow,thought i wasn`t being released until the 31st.
Very upset when i left the floor for the last time and have been struggling to read messages on Faceborg,pastures new await
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 07:36 pm

Alan wrote:Bit of a shock this morning,i`m off to my new job tomorrow,thought i wasn`t being released until the 31st.
Very upset when i left the floor for the last time and have been struggling to read messages on Faceborg,pastures new await

How are your proteges going to survive?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 07:42 pm

A few weeks ago I got a referral from my doctor for a 12-week free membership of Slimming World.
I thought, what could I lose?
Well, I certainly did lose.
I just had my third weighing and have lost a stone.
I must admit Slimming World is pretty easy to manage, and I certainly haven't felt hungry.
Feeling pretty happy.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 08:16 pm

steeljam wrote:
Alan wrote:Bit of a shock this morning,i`m off to my new job tomorrow,thought i wasn`t being released until the 31st.

i have no idea,there has been no training prior to it going back to Lincoln,so what happens next is any ones guess......
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Alan wrote:
steeljam wrote:

i have no idea,there has been no training prior to it going back to Lincoln,so what happens next is any ones guess......

The last time that happened to me I earned a pretty good extra income sorting out the mess and writing instructional manuals.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 08:08 am

Today is day one of the Summer Holidays! No kids, no driver, no six am alarm, no forgotten sports kit, no messages to and from school for Teachers/perents. No upest kids cos the rabbit died,
no fancy dress days ( one dressed asa a zombie and freaked the others out ) no inappropriate language/ no eating or drinking in the bus, no chucking school work /reports out the windows. NO KIDS! :sunny:
Today I had a lie in till eight, I have had a nice leasurely breakfast, and the housework can go take a hike.
Today I am having a me day, shower, and a mooch round the local shops,....ahhh, I am going to enjoy it, as this week I have a lounge to pack up, stuff to move, and painting to do, beofe I get a nice local builder in to rip up my old laminate floor, and re lay a nice new one, and add a few shelves and put in a cupbpard to hide the iorning in! :sunny:

Have a fab Summer everyone! :sunny: :sunny:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby phalarope » Tue Jul 25, 2017 08:11 pm

Sounds like a lovely day Jackie. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 02:56 am

I got to be direct and blunt with someone who really, really deserved it :twisted:

At the karate tournament on Sunday, I was of course grouped with the other adults, and there aren't that many. One guy I've seen there before is a really super sexist pig, so I was on guard. On cue, he started making comments about 'men' and 'girls' - and as the other adults were all middle-aged women as opposed to children, I corrected him. Then he started going on and on about males and females, to which I pointed out he has some kind of weird gender fixation, which got some laughs from the group as I was totally right. Later on he was asking everyone what their scores were for the strongest/fastest punches and kicks, and I told him it was none of his damn business, which it's not, because the black belts sort out what the winner order is.

In between stuff I also had to deal with his wife, who is super competitive and was unnecessarily mean to a very sweet 18 year old black belt who was only trying to help us out when the groupings got confusing. I stood with her (the black belt) to try to sort out the confusion while the others just walked off, it was VERY rude and you don't treat black belts that way. Suffice to say they belong together.

At the end I was standing in a line helping my son trade up his trophies, and Mr. sexist walks up behind me and starts patting me on the back. Not just once or twice but continually. I turned around, looked at him directly and said very plainly, "Don't touch me." He stared back in shock and said "what?" I repeated, very plainly, "Don't touch me." He looked shocked and awkward and backed away. But dangit, I don't like him and I don't have to let him touch me if I don't want to.

The best thing is that I felt absolutely zero hesitation or regret, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: no second-guessing or wondering if I was wrong or mean. He's an asshole, and I was within my rights to call him out.

The other nice thing was that the nice young black belt gave me a hug at the end so I think she appreciated my standing by her. She'll be one of my judges when it's test time so it can't hurt to win her over.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 am

Nonny, he sounds like an utter creep! there are some people out there who's views and attitudes belong in a past century. Good on you for standing up to this slimeball. :thumbr:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table