Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby I.B.Igor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:27 am

phalarope wrote:Sounds like a lovely day Jackie. :D

Hi Carol, it wasnt bad, the upside was Martyn coming home early from work, I heard the front door close as I was drying off from my shower, so did the usual " Er, Hello ?" while peeking round the bathroom door.
Why we all do this amazes me, if it was anyone nasty I doubt they would wait to raid the house before you got any clothes on ( though the headline " Naked woman terrorises home raider " is one headline every newspaper wants to run)
My first day of fredom was nice, had a mootch and bought a few bits and bobs, and got a paint colour chart, and have found the two I want to use in the lounge, were going for soft sage and oatmeal ( muted grey/green and a bit darker than magnolia cream )
Hoping it goes well with the new oak flooring and shelving, now I just have to pack the lounge, throw out some junk and get painting! :sunny:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm

phazedout wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:Thanks for the ideas, all! I'll get a cup of stars one way or another :D

Is this so you can, at coffee time, hold it up and say in a suitably awe struck voice "Oh my god, it's full of stars"?

Oh my Tea! It's full of stars! :lol:

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jul 31, 2017 03:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the whole scene in case anyone doesn't feel like looking it up:

Eleanor looked up, surprised; the little girl was sliding back in her chair, sullenly refusing her milk, while her father frowned and her brother giggled and her mother said calmly, 'She wants her cup of stars.'

Indeed yes, Eleanor thought; indeed, so do I; a cup of stars, of course.

'Her little cup,' the mother was explaining, smiling apologetically at the waitress, who was thunderstruck at the thought that the mill's good country milk was not rich enough for the little girl. 'It has stars in the bottom, and she always drinks her milk from it at home. She calls it her cup of stars because she can see the stars while she drinks her milk.' The waitress nodded, unconvinced, and the mother told the little girl, 'You'll have your milk from your cup of stars tonight when we get home. But just for now, just to be a very good little girl, will you take a little milk from this glass?'

Don't do it, Eleanor told the little girl; insist on your cup of stars; once they have trapped you into being like everyone else you will never see your cup of stars again; don't do it; and the little girl glanced at her, and smiled a little subtle, dimpling, wholly comprehending smile, and shook her head stubbornly at the glass. Brave girl, Eleanor thought; wise, brave girl.

From the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 03:01 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:From the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
I'm embarrassed to say that I've never read the book and have only seen the 2 film adaptations (the first one was far superior in my view) but shall now definitely read the book. I'm wholeheartedly behind the ethos of insisting on your cup of stars (and what a lovely and oddly efficient way of putting it) instead of caving in to other people's idea of 'normal'. Can't be having with normal - much prefer geeky nerdery, or possibly nerdy geekery . . . :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 01:19 am

To be totally honest, the rest of the book wasn't nearly as profound or as good as that... but that alone makes me glad I read it. I had to have a little cry after I read that section, but the rest was ...not bad, but not particularly moving.

I'm so glad you like the quote! It IS a great metaphor, for keeping magic in your life and not letting anyone talk you out of it because it's less awkward for them.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am

Martyn off working today, will be back mid week, just me, the cat and a lot of paint, and an almost empty lounge to re vamp before he returns. Hmmm, do I have enough time I wonder to re watch last nights Game of Thrones, before I start painting the ceiling? I think so! Bring on the DRAGONS! :D :D :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Gaspode » Sat Aug 12, 2017 09:29 pm

Non starter today.

Ive been away for work for the last couple of weeks, had decided to finish off and polish some of the old range of Jewellery but no.

Got stuck in traffic at 8.00 coming back from Worthing (yep 08:00 on a saturday)

Ended up in the post office asking why they had put a withdrawal on the business account instead of the paying in. Wouldn't mind but it made them £400.00 over on wednesday and we didn't realise until today. They already knew about it but could not remember who it was.

Finally got home and then found out that I had to pack a White Horse pendant and a cut out coin (I make old Uk pennies cut with various designs) and as Im away again next week. Back to the PO.

By the time I finally got settled it was time to go shopping (pub) :bounce: So no Jewellery work today....

Bring on Sunday.. Oh wait a minute we have a charity thing going on. So no work again.
Gaspode

Postby Cara » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 am

My beautiful little Bramble, a Netherland Dwarf bunny passed away in her sleep aged 10 years and one month. So glad that she had a wonderful long life with us, but I'll miss her cheeky antics so much.
Cara

Postby Kelshandra » Fri Aug 25, 2017 09:16 pm

Awe... hugs Cara. It's such a bugger that all our furry loved ones have such short lives :(
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 08:56 am

Yesterday I went to Arundel to visit the castle and surrounding village, great weather, and good fun , mootching around the village I spotted the Duck race, it was on that day! :D so we bought tickets and arraged to be on the bridge over the river at five thirty , to watch several thousand plastic ducks chucked over the side, to see wich one reached a buoy in the distance. ( winning duck wins a hundred quid )
Shame nobody checked the tide time, as the river Arun is tidal, and changes direction, so all the ducks were released, and happily floated downstream....half an hour later than advertised in the wrong direction :lol:
At this point we decided to go for a drink, and the winning Duck was announced later , we didn't win, but its one of the dafter things in the Arundel Festival. A great way to spend a bank Holiday. Quack!
I.B.Igor

Postby Basement » Tue Aug 29, 2017 03:15 pm

Yesterday I did my first ever triathlon. Yes, I know I'm crazy. Today, my back aches like nobody's business, I'm falling asleep at my desk (I shouldn't have stayed up to watch GoT finale at 9pm but nevermind) and I've killed part of my main system at work.

Oh, and I have a rehearsal to direct this evening.

Wanna, wanna go to bed!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Selkie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 09:00 pm

*Hugs*, Cara.
Selkie

Postby Sandra » Wed Aug 30, 2017 02:03 pm

Mixed emotions:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41093066

Another milestone marking Terry's passing. While I am glad his wishes are being followed, so much joy will never be seen.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 31, 2017 09:45 pm

Less day than weekend. Just (ish) back from the Team Kodi developer conference in Prague last weekend. Yes, you lot aren't the only one I wield the spikey stick for, I'm a member of that team too.

Just about recovered and sobered up again. Good time and a lot of stuff sorted, and a similar group to here (drunk like a rugby club, fight like a chess club and an utter bunch of loonie's). But I think I drank more beer in the 3 nights than I have for the rest of this year :twisted:
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 05:39 pm

Ok, so generally speaking, there's a number of ways your Day can go: some days are Good Days, some are Bad Days, other can be Holidays, So-so days, One Of Those Days, Not-Enough-Hours-In-The-Day Days, or my personal bête noire: WTF-Is-Going-On? Days

- So this morning started out as One Of Those Days when I was rudely awakened by the bloke in the downstairs flat next door deciding to have his TV blaring out at 7am on a Sunday morning. :evil:
- Resigned to not having a lie-in, I gave up, got up and was greeted by a lovely blue sky and a sunny morning - decided it was a Good Day instead :)
- Went downstairs to find that one of the resident felines had had some sort of digestive explosion in the night, all over the dining room floor. Spent a rather unpleasant 20 minutes to clean it up - back to being One of Those Days
- Went in to the kitchen to find green paw prints making a trail from the cat flap, across the kitchen floor and down the hall. :shock: Followed the green paw prints up the stairs and into the bedroom to see Exhibit B sitting in the middle of the bed. When I went to bed last night, he'd been his usual black and white self. This morning he was black, white and GREEN :mrgreen: :meow: :mrgreen: - now a WTF-Is-Going-On? Day :shock:
- Somehow he'd managed to get all 4 paws and quite a large part of his bum covered in, what I can only hope, is green food colouring and was sitting with his best innocent expression in the middle of a big green stain on the duvet :roll: I then had to spend the best part of an hour trying to wash the weird green muck off - ever tried giving a cat a bath? :( Nursing several small cuts and now wetter than I ever managed to get the cat, I trundled dejectedly back down stairs - now a Bad Day :evil:
- Finally managed to have some breakfast, get dressed and felt ready to face the day when I came face to face with the horror that is an empty loo roll :shock: BUT made the discovery before I sat down - so back to being a Good Day :)
- I sett off down the shops and barely got 1/4 a mile before I passed a drunk man (at 11.30am on a Sunday morning, may I add disapprovingly) standing on his doorstep trying . . . and failing . . . painfully . . . to play Colonel Bogey on the trumpet :shock: - aaaaaand we're back to a WTF-Is-Going-On? Day
- This was not helped by the large picture on the front of the first Newspaper I saw in Tesco, which showed HRH Prince Charles coming out the door of Doctor Who's Tardis. It's coming to something when a member of the Royal Family emerging from a Tardis is one of the least weird things that you've seen that day :?
- Stopped off at the local charity shop on the way home and rescued 4 DVDs (2 brand new and still sealed) and a couple of brand new hardback books for £8 - an absolute song, I tell you! - back to being a Good Day :D
- Got home to find the cat, presumably the same one who'd caused this morning's pebble-dashing in the dining room, had been sick on the armchair in the living room **sigh** - yep, you've guessed it, back to One Of Those Days :roll:
- Well it's still only tea-time, so let's see what other weirdness today can come up with . . .
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table