Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu Jun 12, 2014 08:15 pm

steeljam wrote:
Basement wrote:My Dad has just retirement. And I mean just; he walkedout of the office for the last time less than 5 minutes ago. I has a sad. I have sat next to him at work for the last 5 years. I'm not a fan of my job particularly and my Dad has been the support that has kept me willing to keep coming in, not that he knows that. I'm trying very hard not to break into tears. :(
Wasn't this taking the Take your Child to Work day scheme a bit far?
Sorry to hear he has retired. I assume he didn't want to.
I was Retired last August and all my applications for jobs have disappeared into a black hole.

I retired early from the DWP as there was not a job I wanted when they downsized the Dept. hung about for a couple of years in London before I came back home should not have wasted the two years, as I would have as much of a chance of getting a job back here as in London virtually nil :lol:. Just keep plugging away Steve you just may get Lucky. :thumbr: It can be an age thing but they will deny that. :|
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby phazedout » Wed Jun 18, 2014 09:17 am

Mild exhaustion

My past week.

Tue, attempt early sleep monday night, fail, watch netflix with sound turned down, leave apartment at 2:15 AM and get to bus station at 2:45 (still 14 degrees out for pity's sake).

Get bus to Helsinki/Vantaa for 5;30 AM (ignoring a chatty drunk eventually made him move away from me on a hlaf empty bus) get on place for 7, fly to oslo, get charged an almost unbelivable 15 euro for a chicken bagette and 500ml bottle of diet cola. fly on to Dublin landing at 11:30 local (13:30 finnish time), take ages to get bus and tram out to parents place but too busy playing ingress to notice, collapse in to bed for 3 hours, eat minimally, get picked up by local (resistance) ingress crew driven out to maynooth, play for an hour or so, get dropped back to tallaght and meet friend in loca GAA club for drinkies (him) and lemonade (me) - Bed

Wed Eat light breakkie, pop in to town to meet friend for lunch, go shopping and ingress, come home, have other friends visit, early to bed

Thu, get up at 6 AM, get train down west to Ballina, get haircut, evaluating mothers tablet for ingress (works poorly) meet up with some AA friends, attend meeting, meet other friend, more ingressing, collapse in to bed, arise friday, meet some former colleagues for lunch, meet other friend from AA then get train back up to dublin.

Saturday, up early to be collected for IRC friends and geek breakfast, tram in to town to meet friend for walking around and some light shopping, tram back home, drive over to recently berevaed mother of childhood friend hit and run killed by gangster scumbag three weeks ago, go home, collapse
Sunday, family visit, supervise brother 7 5 and 2 year old kids, wonder where he finds the energy, pop out breifly to GAA club after they left around 19.

Monday, head down to Mullingar with friend and wife, overnight there, have a takeaway, get train back up to dublin Tue morning, meet friend for data exchange via teeny tiny usb stck, meet other friend for lunch, then spend three hours wandering around sunken gardens on MOMA in blazing sunshine and playing ingress, tram home, brief nap, meet friend back in GAA club, get to bed around 01:30.

Today, tram and train out to blackrock to meet other friend for walkies and lunch, then return, rebuild mums laptop, build PC for dad form scratch.

Thu, final shopping and packing, not much planned.

Friday, Fly home, sleep for a week.

Who knew a holiday could be so exhausting!
Phaze
on the "I could say at least I am keeping busy" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby annebn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 08:06 pm

That does sound exhausting Phase! I googled ingress, but I still don't quite get what it is...

Busy week here too. I have a problem with saying no, so I'm trying to do data analysis for three different studies at the same time right now. Alll really interesting, but not ideal time wise.

And the trains in Sweden have been on strike the last three weeks, so my commute across the bridge has taken an extra hour. Pretty annoying- but tomorrow the trains should run again, because the parties reached an agreement this evening.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:39 pm

HOLY @#$% there is so frigging much to do in Derbyshire!!!

I may not get to all the things I want to see :( and even that was a short list. I luckily picked a B&B right in the middle of (and walking distance to) a bunch of super nifty lookin' caverns and a castle and there's a bus stop right there. I think I will have to dedicate an entire day to spelunking. Which doesn't leave much time for the big manors - I WILL get to Chatsworth but might have to ditch Haddon hall :(

Would it be horribly gauche to wear a denim vest and tshirt, hiking boots and an Indiana Jones hat to hike around the countryside and visit caverns? I mean I know I'd look very very American but it's not shocking or anything is it? That's what I'd wear to go hiking here.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Rabelasian » Thu Jun 19, 2014 08:56 am

Given what I've seen various walkers and hikers wearing over here I doubt anyone would think anything of it.

The ones who hike naked still get funny looks but the clothed ones rarely seem to. :D
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Rabelasian

Postby demdike » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:39 am

There is no dress code :D . We still have idiots going from their cars into the caves in party shoes! Make sure to take a pak a mak/waterproof jacket as there are a lot of drips inside the caverns, which are mostly porous limestone.
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Jun 19, 2014 03:20 pm

Thanks guys :D

I'm headed into unexplored territory and I just don't want to do anything super dumb.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby DavidAHarvey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 03:37 pm

I'll second that recommendation of a pack away waterproof to go in your day pack and you'll probably appreciate taking a light weight fleece/jumper too.
It'll be cold in the show caves and, if the sun hides or it gets breezy, cool above ground too :wink:
Oh and don't forget to accessorise your hiking outfit with insect repellent and if you're lucky sun block.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Jun 19, 2014 05:11 pm

I have a waterproof jacket, but also a lightweight poncho.

Taking notes, I really appreciate the advice.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Cara » Thu Jun 19, 2014 06:32 pm

Spent the day in Preston completing a Dementia Friends Champion course. I'm now able to set up and run sessions to try and get 1 million people to sign up to be Dementia Friends.
You might have seen the advert for the Campaign with Gina and a host of celebs including Sir Pterry singing I''ll get by with a little help from my friends . To find out about becoming a dementia friend then go to https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk
Cara

Postby steeljam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Cara wrote:Spent the day in Preston completing a Dementia Friends Champion course. I'm now able to set up and run sessions to try and get 1 million people to sign up to be Dementia Friends.
You might have seen the advert for the Campaign with Gina and a host of celebs including Sir Pterry singing I''ll get by with a little help from my friends . To find out about becoming a dementia friend then go to https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk
Well done Cara
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jun 23, 2014 04:44 pm

We actually had a nice relaxing weekend for once. My daughter went a sleepover and the rest of us ended up watching movies most of the morning. Granted not as much cleaning got done as perhaps we should have, but... it was too much fun to stop.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Rabelasian » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Uuuurgh. My lovely daugher is unwell. She kept us awake half the night, took one mouthful of breakfast - didn't even swallow it - and threw up and then pretty much refused all food for the rest of the day. She was very reluctant to drink much which is a far greater concern since it's been quite hot today. She usually tries to get out of going to bed but an hour and a half before her usual bedtime I asked if she wanted to go to bed and she said yes, and then went to bed without any trouble whatsoever.

Hopefully after a good nights sleep she'll feel much better tomorrow.
Rabelasian

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 26, 2014 08:40 pm

Awww. :( Is she doing better now?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Rabelasian » Fri Jun 27, 2014 01:52 pm

She's stopped coughing until she's sick, which is a vast improvement and after a couple of days of eating almost nothing she ate quite well yesterday but she still has a bad cough and runny nose. She's definitely much better than she was but I think she'll be stuck with it for a few more days yet.
Rabelasian

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table