Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Squigglyx » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:42 am

Squigglyx wrote:All packed and ready to set off for the Tour De France (1st Yorkshire Stage)

Plan is as follows;
1.5 hour drive from home to Hawes (a small village in the North Yorkshire Dales). Park up on the auction mart car park (£10 cost) and meet up with some fellow photography enthusiasts. Have a beer or two and sleep in cars overnight. Early start in the morning and after a breakfast of bacon and eggs, a 2.5 mile hike up hill to the spot we have found which we hope will give a great view of the cyclists coming up the hill. We are planning to be in place before 10:00 am and will then have a 4 hour wait till the action gets to where we are. 10 - 15 mins and all the cyclists will have passed, so hike back down the hill and wait for roads t be reopened before heading back home. Hoping for some nice weather and preferably no rain. I'll post an update with pics, if I get anything decent sometime next week.

As promised

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125989751@N04/sets/72157645569923981/
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby annebn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 07:40 pm

Great pictures! Seeing them, you can understand why some of the riders were complaining a little bit about the British fans- they really don't leave them much room!
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 09, 2014 09:11 pm

Washing machine is acting up; spent my lunch hour hand-washing the kids' required field trip shirts for tomorrow, and sewing on a button that thankfully waited until I was home to fall off my blouse. Also, kids' kata tests are Saturday and they are both really shaky. And I am not ready at all. Plus I'm having difficulty on violin learning to count time, change strings and fingers and follow the notes at the same time. I felt about 5 years old at my lesson yesterday.

And despite not being able to work on my costume pieces at lunch like I wanted, and the general above arghs, I am in a pretty good mood, because my frustrations are general daily life hiccups and not all that problematic, really. I guess I am thankful I only have little sh*t to grumble about and nothing serious. :roll:

After all, my family is healthy and safe, work is steady, the pool is clear and the AC works, and there is a nice ripe watermelon cooling in the fridge for later right next to the beer. Net plus, I have to say.

And I think my coworkers are glad they have less than a month to hear me talk about going to England :sunny:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 03:22 pm

It's that time of year again, made more fun by an impending inspection visit. I met with my manager this morning to prioritise tasks and agreed a schedule. Within the hour there were two new "red flag ultra important" to add to the top of the list. So nothing agreed has actually got done. Oh well, they were only the "top priority" jobs, they can wait...
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 10, 2014 03:31 pm

But it will of course not stop them asking you next week why the original priorities haven't been done...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 03:42 pm

Darren wrote:But it will of course not stop them asking you next week why the original priorities haven't been done...
What makes you think they waited for next week?
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 10, 2014 04:00 pm

Anything this week is just a reminder...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Jul 11, 2014 09:12 am

Got an new ( to me ) I pod, with an eclectic mix of music on it, great condition, just had Amy Wine house, Back to black, now I have Fleetwood mac Live in Boston, and the next track is Billy Idol. Not bad for twenty quid. Now I can boogie in the kitchen without disturbing Martyn too much. :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby demdike » Sat Jul 12, 2014 09:11 pm

Had a reccy to Holmfirth today, checking out the car parking etc ready for the American invasion, saw a hand knitted Compo hat for £9.99 :shock: Found a free knitting pattern after I got home :D Did York yesterday, Lincoln tomorow
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Jul 13, 2014 02:10 am

Karate test next week. As usual I am not ready. Got to practice every day next week. Not so bad really, I'm at a point where I can only advance one stripe (degree) at a time, but I still want to do my best.

Muscles tired, but belly full of steak and head full of wine, not bad all told. Also:

Dear England, I absolutely love your public transportation. I can get anywhere I want to go without a car. And the maps and timetables on the internet rock. Love, Nonny.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Rabelasian » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:57 am

Nonny Mouse wrote:Dear England, I absolutely love your public transportation. I can get anywhere I want to go without a car. And the maps and timetables on the internet rock. Love, Nonny.

People over here bitch and moan about public transport all the time but I doubt many of them realise how good they have it. It's not perfect and some areas are better for it than others but overall it's pretty good.

I used to live in an area where you got a dingly, clapped out bus once every half hour or hour depending on the service and if you missed it you were stuffed. Now I live in an area which has regular, clean, modern buses once every 10-13 minutes and all I ever hear are complaints about how the service is rubbish these days. :roll:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Rabelasian

Postby Darren » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:19 pm

I was going to say I'll be interested to see if that attitude to our public transport actually survives physical contact with it Nonny ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby demdike » Sun Jul 13, 2014 02:28 pm

Timetables are more of a guideline than a rule :D
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Jul 13, 2014 04:09 pm

Darren wrote:I was going to say I'll be interested to see if that attitude to our public transport actually survives physical contact with it Nonny ;)

It survived my expedition to Chatsworth last time! The bus driver was a curmudgeon to be sure, and yeah the bus was rattly... but all I'm really asking for is to get from one place to another. I'm going pretty far off the beaten path this time, and I'm just happy that it can be done. With maps, timetables, and the traveline website, I can figure it out. It doesn't have to be fancy or gracious, as long as it's honest.

And, I went to university is Los Angeles, and there the timetables were so irrelevant no one used them. You just stood around until the bus came.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jul 13, 2014 04:40 pm

Rabelasian wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:Dear England, I absolutely love your public transportation. I can get anywhere I want to go without a car. And the maps and timetables on the internet rock. Love, Nonny.

People over here bitch and moan about public transport all the time but I doubt many of them realise how good they have it. It's not perfect and some areas are better for it than others but overall it's pretty good.

I used to live in an area where you got a dingly, clapped out bus once every half hour or hour depending on the service and if you missed it you were stuffed. Now I live in an area which has regular, clean, modern buses once every 10-13 minutes and all I ever hear are complaints about how the service is rubbish these days. :roll:

Hmph
I do not live miles out in the countryside or anything - less than twenty minutes by car from Heathrow - but I get one bus every two hours, from 09:45 to 17:45 (so useless for work) with nothing on Sundays, and have to pay £3.80 each way for a ten minute journey
To get to my nearest hospital (15 mins by car) takes two buses and two hours since they scrapped the bus that went there
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table