Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 08:02 am

My neighbors know I a bit, odd , but they like me anyway, last night after trying to sleep next to a snoring bear, I got up, and came to play on the computer for a while, around twelve thirty I realized on this hot muggy night, I could see thunder flashes, so I abandoned the computer, and stood by the front door watching the approaching storm. ( I admit I am a storm Junkie and love them )

And what a whopper it was! bright hidden flashes in the clouds, like the approach of the Mother ship in Close Encounters, no rain, still air, and ominous low deep booms in the distance, it got closer, and louder, and I was bouncing on the front door step with all most continuous flashes running through the clouds, it was building up to be a real humdinger!
So I stood in our front garden in my big blue dressing gown, and I squeaked " Don't-go-near-the-castle!" and got an answering lightening flash, and boom in reply,
our neighbors son then walked into his house, gave me a cheery wave and said " you can go wake up your Monster now you loonie! "
I gave him a grin, and carried on storm watching, got utterly soaked when the rain arrived, monsoon like and the main storm overhead gave us three blinding lightening strikes and a good old fashioned air ripping rolls of thunder, it was so loud, it woke up my bear.
I do love a good storm.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby phazedout » Fri Jul 18, 2014 09:44 am

you should have recorded it then play it back to the bear whenever he snores!
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:20 am

phazedout wrote:you should have recorded it then play it back to the bear whenever he snores!

Great idea Alan, I think in the end he would rumble me ( :roll: ) and tell me where to shove my recording , or withhold hugs until I behaved, after all there is nothing worse than a sleep deprived Bear, and I can always sleep in the spare room if he gets too loud.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 18, 2014 01:12 pm

This is what we got over Crawley - pic by Steven Shears via the BBC news website (click on it for the BBC page with other nice lightning pics):

Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 01:35 pm

That's not weather. That's another dimension breaking through. That sort of sky never ends well.
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 02:30 pm

Pat wrote:That's not weather. That's another dimension breaking through. That sort of sky never ends well.

Crikey Pat , do yo think were Doomed? :shock:
I.B.Igor

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 18, 2014 02:32 pm

It's Crawley we're talking about - hideous monsters could invade and no-one would bat an eyelid.

At least not until they went down a back-street and got mugged or similar and so the invasion would be defeated.

The pic is actually taken from Gatwick looking out across town - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in a plane landing last night there...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 03:45 pm

Beautiful! We get that a lot out here, but it never gets old.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Rabelasian » Fri Jul 18, 2014 07:01 pm

I feel conned - all we got was rain. :(
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Rabelasian

Postby phazedout » Fri Jul 18, 2014 09:59 pm

two day ago we got what I will call discworldian thunderstorm. There was oppressive heat for somme hours then the sky went night time black. I say discworldian as the storm decided to save all it's thunder up for one HUGE blast, it rattled my windows and woke my frien Jacob, who lives 1.5km away, from a sound sleep :shock: :roll: :roll: .

This was followed by ten minutes of intense rain, then the evil yellow light returned.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 06:40 pm

Beer festival at admirals park last night and it was very hot and packed with lots of thirsty people.
It didn't really cool down despite there being a modest breeze,which eventually died completely,not that many noticed.....or that the sky had turned a shade of light grey....
About 9-30,the wind returned with a vengance ,bringing the lightning with it,this was the cue for a dash for the exit by a great number of people.
Luckily,my partner in beer had a taxi driving mate on the other end of his phone and we quickly got picked up and whisked home,avoiding the soggy walk back to town and and even soggier wait for the bus.
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby phalarope » Mon Jul 21, 2014 01:08 am

Just returned from watching the live stream of the final Monty Python farewell performance. I was able to attend in official Live (mostly) t-shirt wear.

Contrary to the nay-saying critics, I loved the show. Watching John Cleese lose his lines was hilarious, not pathetic. All the Pythons were wonderful. I was a bit teary-eyed at the end, knowing we won't see them together live again. After the final number, when the entire cast and crew were on-stage hugging one another, I heard one of the Pythons say, in a voice full of wonder and glee, "We DID it!" Yes, guys, you did it, and made the world a better place.
Last edited by phalarope on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jul 21, 2014 03:41 am

I joined the karate tournament today. I have first place trophy for kata and a third place overall for punches/kicks in speed, strength, and accuracy. The kids each got first and second place trophies for various events in their ages and ranks. :D
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Basement » Mon Jul 21, 2014 02:19 pm

Well done Nonny and family!

After having spent 2 1/2 hours with auditors, my brain has turned to mush and I have NO concentration power whatsoever. *blurble*
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby DavidAHarvey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Congratulations Nonny and family, :thumbr:
and a big bag of virtual chocolate for you Basement to fortify you after your encounter with the Auditors...
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table