Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Sandra » Tue Aug 07, 2018 09:47 am

I have too much empathy for that - though since I was not UC/CD I was told the stabbing was me being too sensitive and I was making the pain worse by being too aware of what my gut was doing.......

Adrian's UC is almost completely under control now that he moved to a PCT that allowed him to have immunotherapy - I don't mean the chemicals that try shutting it down, it's the biologicals (TNF inhibitors) that made the difference. One of the big benefits of leaving the south-east. AND he's been given one that shouldn't affect the gut (HA!) it was for his arthritis.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Wed Aug 08, 2018 08:54 am

Careful hugs

When you can receive visitors I'll come round and tell you stories, rumours and lies (I did NOT put that sausage in Briggsy's trouser pocket, despite what anyone else tells you) from the Con :)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phazedout » Wed Aug 08, 2018 08:23 pm

being in the play has led to a vitl and interesting discovery i might not otherwise have made.
it is almost impossible to do up a button fly while wearing a steel breastplate. Getting it open isn't an issue as one can unbutton with one hand and kind of shove it to one side, however closing the buttons requires both hands and much grunting and straining on my part.
Its not like i could ask another cast member to help.......
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 04:43 pm

phazedout wrote:being in the play has led to a vitl and interesting discovery i might not otherwise have made.
it is almost impossible to do up a button fly while wearing a steel breastplate. Getting it open isn't an issue as one can unbutton with one hand and kind of shove it to one side, however closing the buttons requires both hands and much grunting and straining on my part.
Its not like i could ask another cast member to help.......
What part of the play required you to de-trouser? :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 05:01 pm

chrisboote wrote:Careful hugs

When you can receive visitors I'll come round and tell you stories, rumours and lies (I did NOT put that sausage in Briggsy's trouser pocket, despite what anyone else tells you) from the Con :)
:lol: I might take you up on that, but will probably have to either put you in a full bio-haz-mat suit to protect you from allergic reaction to my moggies, or I'll come over to yours where I can finally meet Mr Pye :D

Well, on the plus side: the bandages are off, the bleeding seems to have stopped and the stitches are out. I do have to hand it to my surgeon as his needlework really is incredibly neat and is already beginning to disappear from the 1st op scars, which are also starting to disappear - those silicon strip things really work wonders. I've still got steri-strips on the latest wounds and for the next few weeks, have to wear a compression bandage corset thingy which is basically a huge piece of knicker elastic held together with Velcro - it's harder to get on than it sounds as you have to hold down the gauze with one hand while trying to stretch the compression thingy over it as tightly as possible before velcroing it down. I managed to twang the dratted thing clear across the room before I got it on properly. :roll: Still at least it covers most of the bruising, which is currently a spectacular array of colours - until the last few months, I didn't know it was possible for a living person to turn those sort of colours while still being, well, alive! :shock:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
chrisboote wrote: Still at least it covers most of the bruising, which is currently a spectacular array of colours - until the last few months, I didn't know it was possible for a living person to turn those sort of colours while still being, well, alive! :shock:

Me neither,until i had my shoulder popped back in under general anesthetic,had four people hanging off of my arm at one point,which would explain the finger marks and the huge technicolor bruises which were something to behold :shock:
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby phalarope » Sat Aug 11, 2018 04:23 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:for the next few weeks, have to wear a compression bandage corset thingy

Are you sprung to wander about in public? I'm hoping for a London meetup to happen sometime in the September 22-25 range. :D Plus I'll be loose in town those dates and would enjoy company.*

*Alert the Watch. :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:57 am

phalarope wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:for the next few weeks, have to wear a compression bandage corset thingy

Are you sprung to wander about in public? I'm hoping for a London meetup to happen sometime in the September 22-25 range. :D Plus I'll be loose in town those dates and would enjoy company.*

Would love to meet up! :D :bounce: :D Igors permitting, I should be fit to be seen in public by then without incurring the wrath of torch-wielding villagers :wink: Will you still be in London when for the October Drummer's meet on 3rd October?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
phalarope wrote:

Would love to meet up! :D :bounce: :D Igors permitting, I should be fit to be seen in public by then without incurring the wrath of torch-wielding villagers :wink: Will you still be in London when for the October Drummer's meet on 3rd October?
Alas no, I will have moved on to the northern wilds of Leeds and beyond to the plashy vales of Wales, before invading Nottingham for Dimension Jump. If I can't have the Discworld Con then dammit I'm having the Dwarfers!* I believe the redoubtable Steeljam is attempting a bespoke meetup, perhaps a survival tactic since he is hosting me for my London sojourn.

*BobbyLlew will be attending. I may faint. Will certainly need a lie down afterwards if I manage to meet him.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 03:45 am

I spent four and a half hours yesterday giving the house a good cleaning so I could be free to work on my Library today. It worked, and after an additional couple of hours (after training karate kids in a field in the AM first) I have the post mounted in concrete now and all that's left is the mounting of the actual box, then filling and decorating which is the fun part. I'm knackered but totally stoked. 8) I think I can finish this all up next weekend.

I never really thought of concrete mixing and pouring as a librarian skill, but hey I'm open-minded.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 01:24 pm

I forgot about your library box - I thought you were going to be sorting your own books (a job that does take days)

Yeah concrete and books don't usually mix well - hope everything goes well - or that you find the biblophile's version of getting the golf clubs out (modern rain dance)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 04:18 pm

Thanks! From the Facebook page of other stewards I can see the biggest problems are vandalism, and someone occasionally taking ALL the books in the library at once. I'm not all that worried about the latter, at the least the books will be in circulation of some kind, and I can only hope the former won't happen because it's on a high-traffic street under a lamppost, very visible. Not immune but less likely than a remote location.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Thanks! From the Facebook page of other stewards I can see the biggest problems are vandalism, and someone occasionally taking ALL the books in the library at once. I'm not all that worried about the latter, at the least the books will be in circulation of some kind, and I can only hope the former won't happen because it's on a high-traffic street under a lamppost, very visible. Not immune but less likely than a remote location.
:thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:
Wanna see a photo of the finished Library in all it's glory! Have you thought about pasting one of Paul Kidby's illustrations of The Librarian on to the side for decoration? :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 06:31 am

Yesterday was fun, got up with bold intentions to finish the kitchen deep clean, had breakfast, Martyn went to work, and I started the tidy up, before the last cupboards got a well needed clean and sort out.
Then I noticed blood streaks under the kitchen table, and after checking, a small blob, near Dinky's litter tray.
Got a vets appointment for four fourty five , got cat in after doing the cupboards, and I know she wasn't well, as she got in her box without a grumble. The vet was nice, checked her from nose to tail, pressed on her bladder, while I had the teeth and claws end, Dinky bless her just hunkered down, and put up with it, she never hisses, or bites or snarls, even when she had a probe up her bottom.

Vet agreed its the same problem she had last November, cystitis, and blood in her urine is expected, Dinky is now on antibiotics and a heavy pain killer, today she is under house arrest, until she pee's so I can take a sample from her litter tray, so far the stubborn madam has just yowled at the kitchen door to be let out, and hasnt passed a thing, apart from reproachful looks at me, soon I will be forced to leave the kitchen tap dripping, it might encourage her to go......as long as its not in the sink.

We think this was caused by yours truly being a wet hen, and feeding a local feral cat, I used to call Boris, as he was huge, black and a bully, think Grebo and you are there, last year he had his face re arranged by something, and earlier this year, showed up with a front left paw that he could not use at all, and now he has lost so much weight he isnt much bigger than Dinky, so despite the hissing from this broken bully boy, I have been giving him food. I aught to call in the R.S.P.C.A and get him trapped, but I think he is so hostile, even when healthy, they just might put him to sleep if they did trap him.

Dinky being a lady did not mind, until Boris decided he was hungry enough to invade her space and eat from her bowl in the kitchen, the vet thinks this triggered her problem off, so I have a cat who needs to pee but won't and a fading feral bruiser who now needs to be fed as far from the house as possible. One day I will get Wet Hen badges made! :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby I.B.Igor » Sat Aug 25, 2018 07:42 pm

Dinky has responded well to her meds, the day after her visit to the vets I put fake plastic bead cat litter in her litter tray, to catch any pee from her, she decided to pee on the kitchen floor intead. :twisted:
I mopped it up, and gave up, so let her out into the garden, it was just pee, zero blood.
Boris the stray arrived today, and got fed, without a hiss, so he might think I am not that impressed by it,he gets food, then left alone , perfect care for a feral cat.
The grand kitchen clean is now finished, thank god, today I did the last few bits, and scrubbed the kitchen floor, with two scrubbing brushes, and several cloths, I also washed the windows.
Hoping Boris re appearing after a few days dose'nt upset Dinky, any traces of him in the kitchen aught to be zero now, and he will not be allowed in the house . Very tired wet hen today, but I have a sparkly clean kitchen!
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table