Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Aug 26, 2018 02:11 am

Sounds like good news all around!

My library is up! I am a Librarian! 8)

I still need to decorate, (pics after it's prettified) but it's installed and has some books in it to start. I got the very biggest one and it still doesn't seem to hold that many books. Oh well, I have lots to put in as they wander off.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:12 am

A well earned "Oook!!" to Nonny :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: am feeling an urge to knit you a hairy orange cardi :wink:

Saw this article the other day & thought of you: Little Free Library Scheme

On the subject of injured stray cats - in this case, Boris: is there a local animal rescue place that you could contact to help the poor little chap? My local animal home will trap, treat, neuter & then release feral cats back where they came from if possible & if not they have a large garden with outdoor shelters for the ferals to live out their natural in safety.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Aug 27, 2018 04:44 am

Oh yeah! That was posted to the steward site. Made me feel all warm for being part of something good :)

Between yesterday and today I talked with two neighbors and a cleaning lady, which is two neighbors and a cleaning lady more than I usually talk to in between holidays. They all approve highly but didn't want a book just then.

Pic here: https://www.facebook.com/NonnyMsLFL

Edit: part of my personal pledge on this is the library will always have some DW books available :D
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby chrisboote » Mon Aug 27, 2018 07:28 am

Every library should always have some DW books available :D
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 pm

OK, sometimes life can be weird right?

Well, due to a rather troubled chap going completely Bursar and running about in the nuddy, much to the dismay of Her Majesty's Constabulary who had to catch the gentlemen concerned, I have just discovered that Danny John Jules, a.k.a. The Cat from Red Dwarf uses the same gym as me :D

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/strictly-contestant-actor-danny-johnjules-has-training-thwarted-by-naked-man-running-amok-at-leisure-a3922636.html

Now I should (hopefully) be well enough in a week or so to make a gentle return to the gym, so my question is this: what do I do if I should be lucky enough to bump in to Danny? :D :bounce: :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sun Sep 02, 2018 09:47 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:what do I do if I should be lucky enough to bump in to Danny? :D :bounce: :D

Swoon quietly. :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm

phalarope wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:what do I do if I should be lucky enough to bump in to Danny? :D :bounce: :D

Swoon quietly. :lol: :lol:
:D
that would only work if I was sure he would (a) notice and ( b) catch me. Otherwise he might just (a) step over me & carry on; or (b) attract the attention of gym staff while shouting "clean-up on aisle three . . ." :lol:

I was thinking I could ask him to sign something, but what? It's kind of difficult to do a gym workout with a book shoved down your lycra. A photo might be easier, but if I produce a photo of him as The Cat from somewhere in my lycra he might think I'm a bit, you know, Bursar . . .

. . . Still I could always get the resulting restraining order framed I suppose . . . :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Mon Sep 03, 2018 06:43 pm

Or start humming some of the songs?
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Mon Sep 03, 2018 06:47 pm

As somebody who's just learned she is going to miss out on meeting Danny at Dimension Jump (mostly made up for by getting to breathe the same air as Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, and Bobby Llew), I learned at my very first DW con that getting to spend time in Terry's company was infinitely more rewarding than the signed book and photo of me looking like an idiot. The problem with being at the Con was that it was very hard to think of a topic that wasn't over the top fan girl silly, at the time.

Since Danny goes to your gym, if you bump into him, start a non-threatening conversation. Ask about his workout, what equipment he likes to use, does he do cardio or resistance, does he have a stretching routine, etc.

If you are genuinely just passing, consider that he's probably accosted by fans just about everywhere he goes and will probably appreciate a little consideration of his time / privacy. Say a quick hello, my name's Grace, offer a hand to shake, and say in one or two sentences how much his work has given you pleasure. Wish him well on Strictly, and depart. Faint quietly around the next corner. Then NEVER wash that hand again! :lol: :lol:

I was annoyed by the reporting by The Standard. The minor fact that a celebrity was inconvenienced seemed to be of much greater importance than the disturbed individual's actions and threats, and how they were dealt with by the leisure centre's staff and the authorities.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 07:18 pm

phalarope wrote:Since Danny goes to your gym, if you bump into him, start a non-threatening conversation. Ask about his workout, what equipment he likes to use, does he do cardio or resistance, does he have a stretching routine, etc.

If you are genuinely just passing, consider that he's probably accosted by fans just about everywhere he goes and will probably appreciate a little consideration of his time / privacy. Say a quick hello, my name's Grace, offer a hand to shake, and say in one or two sentences how much his work has given you pleasure. Wish him well on Strictly, and depart. Faint quietly around the next corner. Then NEVER wash that hand again! :lol: :lol:
:lol: I have actually bumped in to him once before in the local Post Office and as I recall my considered and thoughtful response on turning round and finding him behind me was "F*ck me!" followed by a very embarrassed apology, a muttered sentence about being a huge fan of Red Dwarf and then shuffling off as quickly as possible before I could embarrass myself further!

phalarope wrote:I was annoyed by the reporting by The Standard. The minor fact that a celebrity was inconvenienced seemed to be of much greater importance than the disturbed individual's actions and threats, and how they were dealt with by the leisure centre's staff and the authorities.
That's the tabloids for you, I'm afraid. As it turned out, the poor chap wasn't really dangerous but did have mental health issues and was off his meds. But given that it was the school holidays and the leisure centre was full to the rafters with kids, the police weren't taking any chances until they could make certain he wasn't a threat to the public. Thanks to the massively underfunded policy of 'Care In the Community' in this country, he hadn't been getting the support he needed prior to the incident, but I believe he's now receiving the appropriate care - quite possibly due to a senior police officer having a few well chosen words with social services . . .
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:52 pm

First packing attempt has gone well. One carry-on size roller bag. There's even room for extra clothes and a pair of shoes. :shock: The personal item is a real pain though - tripod, spotting scope, binoculars, bird guides - it's HEAVY!

Look out UK - here I come! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 03:34 pm

Spent the day going trough my wardrobe and clearing out the clothes that are either too worn our to wear in public or just don`t fit anymore,one very large bag is heading to the recycling center tomorrow,along with all the other crap i have unearthed. :)
Another positive thing to come out of this burst of tidying,is that i have found the bag of spare stamps and old LBE`s that i filed away for "safe keeping" and have spent three weeks trying to find :roll:
All i need to do now is gradually drip feed them onto the for sale section,along with the other jobs i have lined up for this weeks holiday.......
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Okay, those of you with adult children, how did you survive their teen years without eating them? :evil:

Right now I'm thinking a huge pile of pillows to crawl under with a bottle of brandy.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 06:24 am

Nonny Mouse wrote:Okay, those of you with adult children, how did you survive their teen years without eating them? :evil:

Right now I'm thinking a huge pile of pillows to crawl under with a bottle of brandy.

How to survive a teenager, Oh lordy, the brandy might help, constantly repeating your self, ignoring the sulks, the mess, the awe inspiring diregard of everyting except themselves. ( No peanut butter IS a national emergency and not having it is child abuse) Until you point out there is andnther tub in the BACK of the shelf,if they had only looked.
The lack of personal hygene, until they decide to invade the bathroom for HOURS ,...whinging, moaning, and as self centred as a gyroscope.
When Tim was getting into his teeage years, I saved up, and bought a dishwasher,...as I decided it was in the end cheaper, than having to pay for his funeral, as EVERY time I asked him to wash up after dinner, I had to go back and re wash everything, his way of washing was bowl of tepid soapy water, dip item in, regardless of what crud is left on, it is washed, place on draining board. I nearly killed him on several occasions.

Eventually the sweatshirted lump on the couch will start to behave like a human being,...have patience, and keep the brandy close. :thumbr:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Pat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 08:22 am

Nonny Mouse wrote:Okay, those of you with adult children, how did you survive their teen years without eating them? :evil:

Who says we did? You've only met the survivors.
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table