Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Nov 06, 2018 04:33 pm

Voted! Now to watch the outcomes. I will be refreshing my browser tonight every 30 seconds once the results start coming in.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 05:24 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Voted! Now to watch the outcomes. I will be refreshing my browser tonight every 30 seconds once the results start coming in.

Well done that woman!!! :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:
We'll be watching the results with a keen interest this side of the pond too!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Penners » Wed Nov 07, 2018 09:17 am

I was watching on BBC News over here right up until around 2:30 am when I could no longer keep my eyes open. I still haven't had a proper look at the results.
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:44 am

Penners wrote:I was watching on BBC News over here right up until around 2:30 am when I could no longer keep my eyes open. I still haven't had a proper look at the results.
Short version: The Democrats now have control of the House, but the Republicans still have control of the Senate.
It's a step in the right direction, although not as big a step as many of us hoped but at least now the Democrats are in a better position to put the breaks on Trump bulldozing his way through the rest of his term in office
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 05:22 pm

Yeah, because the House runs the oversight committees. Slate has a good roundup of the new heads of committees and what it means for orangeboy: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eller.html

Locally, my Senate seat is too close to call :( but my congressional House district flipped to Democrat :D also the superintendent of schools is currently too close to call and many of the state legislative seats haven't been called yet either. There were 5 laws on my ballot and only one of them went the way I wanted, but at least it was the one I felt the most strongly about.

So it's a mixed bag, but it's nice to see AZ more evenly split between the parties. Used to be a pretty conservative state, but that's starting to change.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Nov 14, 2018 07:07 pm

WOOT for my senate racing turning out for the Democrat! First Dem Senator from AZ in 30 years, first woman Senator from AZ ever. I'm stoked. She's a centrist, which is okay; not as liberal as I would like but anything is better than the Trump stooge she was running against.

Also superintendent of schools turned out Dem, if you like creationism in the classroom you're SOL.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table